shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Diamond Experts and Geeks (affectionately!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bluer1

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone. Newbie here. I have spent weeks reading. And Reading. And Reading. I am completely overwhelmed.
emcrook.gif
Analysis Paralysis has set in. I know enough to be dangerous. I want someone to help me!!! PLEEZE!! I just don''t trust myself on this major MAJOR "once in a lifetime" purchase. Just to put this in perspective....my BF has thrown up his hands in frustration and put ME in charge of selecting my own diamond! I don''t know whether to be grateful or upset! Now, I have narrowed down my diamond search to one. I want the "best" diamond that (he) can afford. The one I have selected is at the tippy top of (his) budget. I am going for RB, better color, ideal H&A cut, decent size, and compromising on the clarity. The AGS Grading Report does indicate some "Comments" that are greek to me. I realize that until I see the diamond, I will not be able to know for sure. I would like all of you to put your expert knowledge to work. I am essentially asking you to evaluate all the reports, pictures, use the tools and then....report back. Is that asking too much? Below is the URL to the Diamond Info. It happens to be at James Allen, although it does seem like some of these online diamond vendors can pretty much get any diamond available on PriceScope.
AGS: RB-2.04 CT- H&A Ideal Cut- F- SI2- Str Flor - $11,430

Thank you for your time and your knowledge. I will appreciate anyone taking the time to assist me!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice FIC, love the strong fluorescence,, but it does have a lot going on in the clarity department.
What does JA say about it being eyeclean?
looking at the pic id be surprised if it was and the cavity may be a durability risk that needs an in person eval.

I gota say I don''t think Id buy it.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Normally, I don't mind a few inclusions, but this really does have a lot going on. In addition to all that going on, throw in the additional surface graining, which I can see some of the virtual loupe- and this would probably be a no-go for me. Even if it is eye-clean (which I am doubting), I have seen a lot nicer SI2's out there- but it looks as if this may be reflected in the lower price.

jaguarnation

Rough_Rock
Question: Do you personally have to have 2 carats? You could probably go slightly smaller (1.7-1.8) and find an eyeclean diamond that is still in your price range.

Just a thought. Sometimes folks get caught up on size, but don''t think about the total package. I personally purchased my significant other a smaller diamond (1.21 ct vs 1.33) because its performance was clearly better. She hasn''t received it yet, but from our visits to the jewelry store, she seemed to be on the performance versus size path. It was also better from a clarity standpoint. To me, just knowing that her ''investigatively inclined'' (to be read nosey) friends won''t be pulling out loupes (and yes I am serious here) to stare at inclusions was worth the reduction in size. We can always upgrade later!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
It looks pretty busy for mag x7 let alone with loupe.

I prefer VS anything personally.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome.

The best and easiest thing to do, is to ask James Allen if this stone is actually eyeclean, and if the cavity is a durability risk. He is the only person or his staff that can advise you with any real accuracy. That is the only way you will know for sure. Also don't judge a diamond by the clarity plot of the grading report.
Let us know how you get on!

Bluer1

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone. I did call James Allen. You all are correct...that is not the diamond for me. It is not eye clean and it has visable carbon inclusions. Back to my PriceScope search. I have narrowed my search to smaller size, better clarity. If you all don''t mind, I may ask for your assistance again soon.
P.S. After seeing the responses and talking to Dave at James Allen, I feel better already.
41.gif
I will be able to do this with your''alls help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2008 12:42:56 PM
Author: Bobbi
Thank you to everyone. I did call James Allen. You all are correct...that is not the diamond for me. It is not eye clean and it has visable carbon inclusions. Back to my PriceScope search. I have narrowed my search to smaller size, better clarity. If you all don't mind, I may ask for your assistance again soon.
P.S. After seeing the responses and talking to Dave at James Allen, I feel better already.
41.gif
I will be able to do this with your'alls help!
Never mind, you will find your diamond! If you let us know budget, what size you are hoping for and shape, colour and clarity preferences, then we can help you search.

For example, a bit smaller and an H colour, but looks to be a clean SI1 clarity ( check if interested)

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-636608.htm#

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4043/

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you are passing on that one. It didn''t look too good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results