shape
carat
color
clarity

Photomicrography..my sapphire pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
So I got a couple requests to start of thread on photomicrography, after some inquiries asking about my new avatar. Basically photomicrography is as it sounds- magnified (10x to 40x) photos of gemstone inclusions, taken through the lens of a microscope. I recently starting practicing and I am learning it is much harder than it looks! I really have to give credit to all of those who have mastered the art- I have seen some amazing photos taken by another PS member, Vincent Pardieu, in some of recent articles and studies he has written.
36.gif

I had always had some interest in the subject, but got really hooked after I started studying the inclusions in my sapphire. My cert. never stated an origin and I really was curious. So after much comparing to some of the GRS photo atlas's, I believe it to be of Sri Lanken origin. Just an educated guess...
9.gif

And while I'm on the subject of my sapphire, I wanted to share some of its "internal characteristics".

While I did not take the photos of my sapphire I am about to post, I will also include a photo I did take of another loose gemstone. Since I am just beginning, I found it much easier to photograph loose gemstones, rather than mounted.
Enjoy!

These are all photos of my sapphire
1.gif
*Giving credit, where credit is due- All photos of my sapphire taken by Erik Carlson.

"Crown for My Princess"

crownformyprincess [1024x768].jpg

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
"Blue Rain"

bluerain [1024x768].jpg

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
"Earth From Space"

earthfromspace [1024x768].jpg

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
"The Skull I"

theskullI [1024x768].jpg

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
"The Skull II"

theskullII [1024x768].jpg

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Now these are some of the photos I have taken- not of the sapphire in my ring, but of a loose sapphire. I am still practicing...
2.gif

"Mothball Inclusion I"

mothball1 [1024x768].jpg

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Another of mine..

"Mothball and Irridescence"

mothball2 [1024x768].jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kicken pics you rock!

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
"Mothball and Irridescence II"

mothball3 [1024x768].jpg

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Those three were my best so far... More to come in the future, I am finding it to be a very fun hobby- And who knows, maybe one day I will "master" the art.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Cool photos, Girlrocks. What kind of scope and camera set up are you using?

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:00:09 AM
Author: strmrdr
kicken pics you rock!
Thanks Strm!
1.gif

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:10:32 AM
Author: Selkie
Cool photos, Girlrocks. What kind of scope and camera set up are you using?
Thanks- using a Gemlight Mark5 microscope, and Nikon Coolpix digital camera.

...for some reason your tagline made me really want cake right now..yum..LOL.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
So cool! They''re fantastic and otherworldly. I''m actually getting a microscope for my birthday, and I can''t wait to try this.
Thanks for sharing!

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 1:05:14 AM
Author: coatimundi
So cool! They''re fantastic and otherworldly. I''m actually getting a microscope for my birthday, and I can''t wait to try this.
Thanks for sharing!

Oh cool! You may need to get a special lens attachment that fits into the occular- helps to steady the camera. Good luck and you are welcome!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome photos - and what fun it must be to play around with the microscope and camera equipment.

Seeing your pics reminds me of Gubelin's book "Photoatlas of Inclusions in Gemstones".

kroshka

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool pics!
1.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
MissRocks, have you seen this article?

http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/koivula_sp03.pdf

Photomicrography is part art and part science, but you''ve got to master the science before you can progress very far with the art.

Does your microscope have a fiber-optic attachment? If it does, try playing around with it. If not, get one. You''ll soon find it indispensible.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/3/2008 12:31:06 PM
Author: CaptAubrey
MissRocks, have you seen this article?

http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/koivula_sp03.pdf

Photomicrography is part art and part science, but you've got to master the science before you can progress very far with the art.

Does your microscope have a fiber-optic attachment? If it does, try playing around with it. If not, get one. You'll soon find it indispensible.
And how could I forget to mention Kuivula? If only I had the money to get the setup he has....

I have a fiber-optic light attachment and it worked quite well in creating the irridescent shots.
Yes its, definietly part science, and I have a lot to learn.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kroska and Chrono
1.gif

Yes, Gubelin''s photoatlas is an amazing book. My photos must look like a third graders drawing compared to Kuivula''s works of art LOL

Playing around with gemstones and cameras is fun..although I must say, it took me several hours just to get these "beginner" shots. I''m not sure what I spent more time on- adjusting the stone and lighting conditions- or playing around with the camera settings and focus.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
cool photos!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! I''d love to see any and all pictures you have... this just proves the beauty of gemstones is never-ending.

DD

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for looking!

I hope to have more pics and better one's too!

And thanks Capt Aubrey for bringing that article to my attention again and posting it for anyone else interested. Admitedly, I am one of those who tends to dive hands-on into projects. Good point being said, the science needs to be mastered first.
1.gif

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
So cool! These pictures are fantastic!!!! Thanks for sharing
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results