shape
carat
color
clarity

will H color asscher look yellowish in platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
hi,

i''m in the process of buying an H color asscher (fingers crossed
2.gif
) and need your expert opinions about setting it in 18k wg or plat. i''ve been told that if i set the stone in plat, it might show a tint of yellow. is this true?

thanks in advance for your help!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I have an H asscher. I don''t think the color difference between WG or platinum will affect the color of your stone.

I can see the warm tone in my asscher and you might want to see your stone before it is set to make sure you are comfortable with the color. I love mine (set in platinum) but I must admit in certain light I see the warmth. It''s not the setting, it''s just an H is an H. It won''t look like an F.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I think it should be fine. However, I noticed color with my "I" GIA in platinum, and could only very slightly tell with an "H" GIA in platinum....Most people will not notice, and it would never look "yellowish", but rather "warm".

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just had my YG e-ring rhodium plated to see if I would rather it be set in WG, and the difference is amazing to me! My stone is an I and it looks so much whiter in the WG than the yellow. The only way I see a yellowish hue is if I compare it side by side to my three stone ring which are F color stones.

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
dreamer_dachsie - thanks for that link. will definitely check it out.

pixley: yes, i''ve seen his ring. it''s GORGEOUS!!!!
18.gif
it looks really white and quite hard to believe it''s an H. thanks.

swingirl: thanks for the your input. the stone i''m looking to buy has a "very good" cut rating according to the jeweler. my setting will be similar to harry winston''s 3 stone setting (like widget''s ring). i can hardly tell the difference between colors though. i saw an I colored asscher next to a G and i thought the I was an F. haha!
9.gif

UCLAbelle: thanks. i suppose i used the wrong term -- i think i actually meant warm but completely forgot the word when i was posting.

as far as pricing is concerned, i think the plat will be almost 2x the amount compared to a 18k wg setting. i suppose it really boils down to what i prefer right? and of course, if i''m comfy asking my bf to spend more than he already has.

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
diamond_dana: thanks for your input. my g.g. friend said that setting my potential H colored ring will look "whiter" in wg vs plat. he explained to me why but i can''t seem to remember anymore.
9.gif

i think i''m inclined to go with 18k wg since i feel bad for asking my bf to spend more $$$ on the ring. he''s willing and comfy with the price. i just feel a little guilty about the entire purchase.
5.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I am not sure why. I did have my stone set in platinum at one time, and it did not look yellow to me, but I also don''t consider myself to be too color sensitive either
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think an H asscher is platinum will be fine in platinum for everyone, but extremely color sensitive people. It would be fine for me!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
As long as the stone is cut well you should be fine. I wear an I and it amazes me how white it is.

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2008 10:15:33 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I think an H asscher is platinum will be fine in platinum for everyone, but extremely color sensitive people. It would be fine for me!
thanks. i believe so too. but the cost is just sky-rocketing now.
14.gif

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 1:05:47 AM
Author: LegacyGirl
As long as the stone is cut well you should be fine. I wear an I and it amazes me how white it is.
thanks. and your ring is gorgeous!!
18.gif
love the halo. too bad the style just didn''t work for me.
8.gif

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
I think the disconnect might be related to what a true "H" looks like. A GIA certified "H" is a white diamond. If it is some non-certified diamond that someone randomly is labeling an "H", then it might look yellow. But a true "H" would never look yellow, and I would defy anyone but the most knowing expert to look at a true "H" and say whether it is an "H" or a "G" or even an "F". Setting any diamond in platinum will make it look more white, not less.
35.gif

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 8:43:54 AM
Author: Isabelle

I think the disconnect might be related to what a true ''H'' looks like. A GIA certified ''H'' is a white diamond. If it is some non-certified diamond that someone randomly is labeling an ''H'', then it might look yellow. But a true ''H'' would never look yellow, and I would defy anyone but the most knowing expert to look at a true ''H'' and say whether it is an ''H'' or a ''G'' or even an ''F''. Setting any diamond in platinum will make it look more white, not less.
35.gif
it''s a gia certified H and i saw the cert. it looks really white to me (but it was under the store''s lighting). i''m gonna ask to see it under the sun later. but then i don''t think i''m color sensitive.
9.gif
thanks for your response.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
te:[/b] 3/31/2008 9:23:12 AM
Author: luckynumber7

35.gif

it''s a gia certified H and i saw the cert. it looks really white to me (but it was under the store''s lighting). i''m gonna ask to see it under the sun later. but then i don''t think i''m color sensitive.
9.gif
thanks for your response.[/quote]

A GIA "H" is some other company''s "F". A real H is white.

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 9:32:30 AM

Date: 3/31/2008 9:23:12 AM

35.gif

9.gif

A GIA ''H'' is some other company''s ''F''. A real H is white.

isabelle: i know it''s fairly colorless but i''m just getting a little anxious about the entire purchase. the stone is very pretty too and it was the one bf and i liked/loved among all the stones we''ve seen.
18.gif
thanks again.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lucky,

If you are nervous about the price and spending that much now, then I totally recommend you buy your stone from a place with a great trade-up policy like Good old Gold (who are known as PS as THE people to buy asschers from, btw). Buy something now that is completely in your budget and then upgrade later to a larger stone. That''s what my hubby and I did: we spent what we could afford when we got engaged 2 years ago ($1500 if you can imagine) and this year for our first anniversary I got to upgrade my original ring into a three-stone and also get a solitaire!

I guess this isn''t an option if you are really sentimental, but I can''t help but worry that the sentiment will be tainted a little if you really feel like you can''t afford the ring you are looking at getting. But that''s just me, I hate any type of dept. If it is something you can afford but you are worried about spending so much money on yourself, then just accept that you deserve something beautiful and get the ring you love!

DD

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 9:49:45 AM
Date: 3/31/2008 9:32:30 AM

Date: 3/31/2008 9:23:12 AM

35.gif

9.gif

A GIA ''H'' is some other company''s ''F''. A real H is white.

isabelle: i know it''s fairly colorless but i''m just getting a little anxious about the entire purchase. the stone is very pretty too and it was the one bf and i liked/loved among all the stones we''ve seen.
18.gif
thanks again.

It will be okay. I chose between a non certified "D" and a GIA "H". The D was a little whiter (not much), but H was SO much prettier b/c of the cut. And like I said, it is white. :) Good luck with everything!
35.gif

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 11:07:26 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Lucky,

If you are nervous about the price and spending that much now, then I totally recommend you buy your stone from a place with a great trade-up policy like Good old Gold (who are known as PS as THE people to buy asschers from, btw). Buy something now that is completely in your budget and then upgrade later to a larger stone. That''s what my hubby and I did: we spent what we could afford when we got engaged 2 years ago ($1500 if you can imagine) and this year for our first anniversary I got to upgrade my original ring into a three-stone and also get a solitaire!

I guess this isn''t an option if you are really sentimental, but I can''t help but worry that the sentiment will be tainted a little if you really feel like you can''t afford the ring you are looking at getting. But that''s just me, I hate any type of dept. If it is something you can afford but you are worried about spending so much money on yourself, then just accept that you deserve something beautiful and get the ring you love!

DD
i don''t think we''re going to upgrade since i have a feeling we''ll be sentimental about the stone/ring. actually, we can afford it (i actually pushed for him to spend the lower amount of his range) and he''s very supportive about the entire process. he even told me to stop worrying about how much it will cost coz he wants me to have the ring of my dreams. so it''s just me.
7.gif
the thought of spending that much money on a rock is just gut-wrenching even if it''s not my money. but thanks for your advice. i suppose i should just let it go right (i''m over analyzing this think
19.gif
)?

luckynumber7

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 11:11:56 AM

It will be okay. I chose between a non certified ''D'' and a GIA ''H''. The D was a little whiter (not much), but H was SO much prettier b/c of the cut. And like I said, it is white. :) Good luck with everything!
35.gif
thanks again isabelle. somehow i''m feeling a lot better.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results