shape
carat
color
clarity

Hmm...Tiffany Etoile band or WF Scattered Diamond Band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Layney

Rough_Rock
So, I''ve been lurking (mostly) on PS since 2002 when I first started thinking about erings. Fastforward to today, and I finally have a bling related question to ask the PS experts. I''m about to finish law school (that is, if I can stop procrastinating long enough to write this last paper) and my lovely husband has offered to get me something sparkly as a reward. I absolutely love the WF scattered diamond band and decided that it be the perfect choice. However, I checked the Tiffany website and discovered that the etoile band is actually a little bit less, and since they have a store in Toronto, I wouldn''t have to worry about shipping, duty, brokerage etc.

So... what is the difference between the two bands? Which would you go for?

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Layney,

What a great predicament
31.gif
Since you stated that the Tiffany is cheaper than the WF, I’m guessing that you’re looking at the 4mm WF? Here’s how they stack up against each other:

Tiffany Etoile:
TCW - .23
Colour – F/G
Clarity – VVS/VS

WF Scattered Diamond:
TCW - .25
Colour – F/G
Clarity – VS

I tried on the Tiffany and LOVED it
30.gif
I haven’t seen the WF version in person, but I am considering it as a WB because of the 14K option. There are a few WF scattered diamond band owners on this site – maybe they can tell you more about the difference in weight and feel. I think either way you’d be getting a beautiful ring. By the way, my vote’s for the Tiffany for all the reasons you listed plus you’d get the Tiffany name (if that's important to you) and instant gratification (no need to wait for shipping).

Layney

Rough_Rock
Hi Pocahontas... thanks for your reply. I was actually looking at the 3mm WF band, but even that one is slightly more than the Tiffany version by the time I factor in the currency exchange and the shipping/customs fees. The name isn''t important to me at all but I do think my husband would feel more comfortable walking into a store to buy it rather than ordering it over the internet. For that reason alone I''m leaning towards the tiffany ring.

However, I was worried that the tiffany diamonds wouldn''t be quite as well cut as the ACA stones and I like that the WF version is smooth on the inside of the ring. I can''t find a picture that shows the inside of the Tiffany band, but I think I remember someone mentioning that it has cleaning holes on the inside and I''m concerned that it wouldn''t be as comfortable. While DH is living in Toronto and can walk into the store, I am living several provinces away and don''t have access to a Tiffany store to try it out. I''m pretty sure he wants to "surprise" me with it as soon as I move back home in April so waiting isn''t really an option either.

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
You know, I had been debating this exact same question for the past month- BUT up until a few weeks ago the WF one was much cheaper than the Tiffany one- it was around 1450 or so for the 4 mm, and then all of a sudden their prices jumped. :razz: I guess because platinum went up? I found basically the same thing at bluenile.com, it''s called the starlight band and it''s C$1375 on the Canadian version of their site. http://www.bluenile.ca/product_details.asp?track=cs1&oid=4959&parent_oid=3480 I tried on the Tiffany band before, and I couldn''t feel the cleaning holes on the inside of the ring at all. It was gorgeous, but I was having a hard time justifying the extra $$ just for the name... Their stones did sparkle just as nicely as the 2 and 3 point ACA''s I have as sidestones on my ering. I will probably end up buying the Blue Nile one, since everything I''ve bought from them has been gorgeous. Hope this helps!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 2:32:59 PM
Author: Layney
Hi Pocahontas... thanks for your reply. I was actually looking at the 3mm WF band, but even that one is slightly more than the Tiffany version by the time I factor in the currency exchange and the shipping/customs fees. The name isn''t important to me at all but I do think my husband would feel more comfortable walking into a store to buy it rather than ordering it over the internet. For that reason alone I''m leaning towards the tiffany ring.

However, I was worried that the tiffany diamonds wouldn''t be quite as well cut as the ACA stones and I like that the WF version is smooth on the inside of the ring. I can''t find a picture that shows the inside of the Tiffany band, but I think I remember someone mentioning that it has cleaning holes on the inside and I''m concerned that it wouldn''t be as comfortable. While DH is living in Toronto and can walk into the store, I am living several provinces away and don''t have access to a Tiffany store to try it out. I''m pretty sure he wants to ''surprise'' me with it as soon as I move back home in April so waiting isn''t really an option either.
Just wanted to mention that I have rings with and without cleaning holes, and I notice no difference in comfort. I wouldn''t worry about that. Personally, I think cleaning holes are a good thing.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go for the tiffany band, lower price, local convenience...no question!

Layney

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 8:40:45 PM
Author: jennalyns
You know, I had been debating this exact same question for the past month- BUT up until a few weeks ago the WF one was much cheaper than the Tiffany one- it was around 1450 or so for the 4 mm, and then all of a sudden their prices jumped. :razz: I guess because platinum went up? I found basically the same thing at bluenile.com, it''s called the starlight band and it''s C$1375 on the Canadian version of their site. http://www.bluenile.ca/product_details.asp?track=cs1&oid=4959&parent_oid=3480 I tried on the Tiffany band before, and I couldn''t feel the cleaning holes on the inside of the ring at all. It was gorgeous, but I was having a hard time justifying the extra $$ just for the name... Their stones did sparkle just as nicely as the 2 and 3 point ACA''s I have as sidestones on my ering. I will probably end up buying the Blue Nile one, since everything I''ve bought from them has been gorgeous. Hope this helps!
Jennalyns: Thanks for pointing out the Blue Nile one - I didn''t know they made one like it and will have to take a look. I was pretty surprised by the price jump in the Whiteflash one! I had decided on that one several months ago and was quite disappointed when I saw that the price had changed. Of course, it makes sense given the recent increase in platnum prices, but I was sad all the same.
7.gif

I''m glad to hear that the cleaning holes aren''t noticable. My channel set wedding band has cleaning openings and I find it significantly less comfortable than my solitaire, comfort fit ering - hence the concern.

Layney

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think I''ve decided to go with the Tiffany ring
1.gif
While the Blue Nile wins on the price, DH feels more comfortable going into a store and feels like he''s doing it himself that way - rather than me buying my own gift. And while I''m not a "name" girl by any means, something about that little blue box makes me smile.

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Yah
36.gif
Enjoy the little blue box!

Layney

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 9:46:15 PM
Author: mrssalvo
i have no idea if the Tiffany band has the holes or not but there was a recent thread as to they''re purpose if you are interested.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/holes-inside-rings-azures.81706/
Thanks MrsSalvo - I had no idea why the holes were actually there. That''s enough to make me reconsider the WF band...
40.gif
Now I''m undecided again.

I really should by studying/writing papers, but diamond dilemmas are much more interesting
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
laynay, i''m pretty sure the WF band is cast too. could be wrong though.

i''d still go with tiffanys for the reasons i mentioned above.

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
Yaaay! Very exciting. I would go with the Tiffany one too, if I had the extra money available at the moment, or if I were patient enough to save longer!
18.gif
It was really gorgeous, I think you will be thrilled and there is something to be said for having the original. Enjoy it and post lots of pictures when you get it!!!
36.gif

cakitake

Rough_Rock
I was worried that the tiffany diamonds wouldn''t be quite as well cut as the ACA stones

Hi Layney,

Congrats on finishing law school! I wanted to respond to your concern since I recently got a T&Co Etoile band and really love it. I work with microscopes in a research lab and took a look at the stones under high power magnification. All of the stones are clean, white and sparkley. They are all precisely cut so that the facets match up well. 7 of the 10 stones have well defined arrows and look exactly like miniature versions of my Expert Selection pendant and earrings that I have from Whiteflash. The other 3 stones in the Etoile also have good light return, but the symmetry is just slightly off so that the arrows don''t quite line up. I''m sorry I don''t have any ACA melee to compare, but I would say that the stones in the Etoile are pretty much on par with the 3pointers in my shared prong Facets band from Signed Pieces.

Also, just FYI, if you''re not used to wearing a 4mm band, you might want to try one on for size. I had been wearing a 2.5mm band and just got the same size for the Etoile. I was a bit surprised by just how substantial the Etoile is. It''s comfortable (you probably won''t notice the holes at all since the inside of the band is basically comfort fit), but a little more difficult to get on/off over my knuckle. You might want to try on a 1/4 size larger. That might also be a reason to buy locally.

Good luck with your purchase! Hope this helps
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2008 1:43:04 AM
Author: Courtney

I was worried that the tiffany diamonds wouldn''t be quite as well cut as the ACA stones

Hi Layney,

Congrats on finishing law school! I wanted to respond to your concern since I recently got a T&Co Etoile band and really love it. I work with microscopes in a research lab and took a look at the stones under high power magnification. All of the stones are clean, white and sparkley. They are all precisely cut so that the facets match up well. 7 of the 10 stones have well defined arrows and look exactly like miniature versions of my Expert Selection pendant and earrings that I have from Whiteflash. The other 3 stones in the Etoile also have good light return, but the symmetry is just slightly off so that the arrows don''t quite line up. I''m sorry I don''t have any ACA melee to compare, but I would say that the stones in the Etoile are pretty much on par with the 3pointers in my shared prong Facets band from Signed Pieces.

Also, just FYI, if you''re not used to wearing a 4mm band, you might want to try one on for size. I had been wearing a 2.5mm band and just got the same size for the Etoile. I was a bit surprised by just how substantial the Etoile is. It''s comfortable (you probably won''t notice the holes at all since the inside of the band is basically comfort fit), but a little more difficult to get on/off over my knuckle. You might want to try on a 1/4 size larger. That might also be a reason to buy locally.

Good luck with your purchase! Hope this helps
1.gif
Hey Courtney, great post very imformative
1.gif

And how fun for you, being able to check out your diamonds at work under magnification when ever you feel! Lol
5.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 9:27:02 PM
I''d go for the tiffany band, lower price, local convenience...no question!

ditto-especially as it''s lower in price.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2008 8:31:15 AM
Author: bee*

Thritto.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2008 10:16:49 PM

Date: 3/29/2008 9:46:15 PM
i have no idea if the Tiffany band has the holes or not but there was a recent thread as to they''re purpose if you are interested.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/holes-inside-rings-azures.81706/
Thanks MrsSalvo - I had no idea why the holes were actually there. That''s enough to make me reconsider the WF band...
40.gif
Now I''m undecided again.

I really should by studying/writing papers, but diamond dilemmas are much more interesting
31.gif
You''re going to feel great when that paper is over! I thought I was walking on clouds when I finished mine
5.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2008 9:06:25 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/30/2008 8:31:15 AM
Author: bee*

Thritto.
HI:

Quadritto
9.gif
! Enjoy your graduation gift!

cheers--Sharon

cakitake

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/30/2008 4:48:56 AM
Author: arjunajane

And how fun for you, being able to check out your diamonds at work under magnification when ever you feel! Lol
5.gif

Yes, it comes in handy since I'm hard on my rings and tend to whack them on things. I have to inspect them every so often to check for damage.
5.gif

I also wanted to mention for the OP and others that if you're willing to wait a bit until the right size comes along, a secondhand Etoile may be another option. When I was researching Etoile bands a gently used one from Signed Pieces was about $1200 (US). That was a few months ago, so I'm not sure if their prices have jumped too, or if it would even be worth it after taxes, shipping to Canada, etc. but it may be an option to consider.

Layney

Rough_Rock
Courtney: Thanks for the feedback. My wedding band and ering are both 3.4mm (though they taper at the back) so I don''t think 1 4mm band will be a problem for me - I do think I''ll get it a quarter of a size bigger though for that reason. As for a second hand option, my ring size is fairly large - I usually wear a 7.5 so finding a 7.75 is unlikely, and an 8 would just fall off. I will keep my eyes open for one just in case.

Jennalyns, Mrs. S, Bee *, Ellen, Canuk-gal: I do think the Tiffany one is definately the winner - now I just have to wait until I actually graduate at the end of April.

Legacy Girl: I hope I feel great when I get the paper done - right now its making me pretty miserable. Unfortunately, I also have 5 exams to write after and a lovely drafting project as well.

Thanks everone for your suggestions! Its back to studying for me...first exam this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results