shape
carat
color
clarity

More future-y stuff

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
In light of the ''i''m so ridiculous'' wedding planning thread, I''m curious so see if anyone else has thought of what their future kids would look like with their SOs (if ya want em, of course).
31.gif
It''s a leap day and I don''t feel like working so...

I know our kids will have dark hair (though it will be blonde until they are 5).

They''ll have brown eyes for sure. Which is sad for me, because he has the most perfect shade of ocean blue eyes, but mine are dark dark dominant brown. I love cool eye colors...though mine are pretty cool because they''re almost black...anyway.
20.gif

I hope they get his musical talent or my mad dancing skillz.
3.gif

Damn...well that''s all I got for now, should be interesting because we both have strong genes in our families - I look a lot like my mom and he looks a lot like his dad.

Anyone else thought about it?
5.gif

chocolatefudge

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm, interesting.... Well I look a lot like my mum and he looks a lot like his dad. I have really big greeny/ browny eyes and he has lovely bright blue eyes but think I have dominant colour :( He has blond hair and mine is dark brown, so expecting a brunette baby! We both have long thick eye lashes so if nothing else I''m hoping our child will have lovely eyes
20.gif

bubbly1126

Brilliant_Rock
Haha! Great thread! He and I have had several discussions about what we think our children would look like.

I have a "mousy brown" hair color and was bright blonde til about the age of 3 or 4. He has had auburn colored hair all his life. I have blue eyes and he has dark brown.

So our children? Auburn hair for sure and probably his eye color as well. BUT, who knows... because my brother has blue eyes and his fiance has dark brown but their daughter has the most beautiful blue eyes I''ve ever seen! I thought for sure she''d have brown...

Also, I have really curly thick hair and he has thick hair as well... so I''m definitely expecting thick and curly! lol.

9.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure how the eye color gene works but my dad has blue eyes and my mom has brown eyes. I inherited my father''s blue eyes. My dad''s father also has the same blue eyes.

Interestingly enough, there was a study done on folks with blue eyes and they found the blue pigment is actually a genetic mutation. Because of this they actually believe that people with blue eyes could all trace their lineage to find out that they were all decended from one person.

This_Is_Amore

Rough_Rock
We actually did one of those dorky morphing photo booths (we found one at Dave & Buster''s...) that takes each of your pictures and combines your features to "show" you what your kids will look like. Our daughters will be cute, is all I have to say!

Physical features, BF has blue eyes, and I have brown... I know it''s a long shot but I''m hoping for some blue-eyed babies! They will definitely have thick, curly hair... probably will be very light as children, and turn into a light brown later on. It will be a ton of fun watching their features develop, and seeing whose mannerisms they pick up as they grow up!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I thought about it just for something to keep my mind off of class and because we had talked about genetics in my Bio class which was before the class I didn't want to pay attention to.
I have blue eyes, he has brown eyes. However, his dad has blue eyes and his mom had brown eyes. So her eye dominated his dad's blue. His mom's parents both had brown and his dad's parents both have blue. So I'll try to draw it out as best I can:
his mom is BB and his dad is bb

BF:
B B
b Bb Bb
b Bb Bb

so his phenotype is Bb meaning that he has genes for both brown eyes and for blue eyes, but because brown is dominant he has brown.

my phenotype is bb because my eyes are blue.

So, basically it means that our kids would be like this:
me-bb, him-Bb

b b
B Bb Bb
b bb bb

So that means that they have 100% chance of having recessive blue eye genes. But we have 50% chance of getting a kid with blue eyes and 50% of getting a kid with brown eyes as a phenotype.

But none of this matters because we're not having kids except of the furry 4 legged variety.

Does that make sense?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Our babies will have most likely have wavey hair...since both my husband and I have wavey hair.

Brown hair for sure

I have brown eyes and my hubs had green eyes...so I am hoping for green, but they will probably be brown (blah)

I hope they have his body type -- which is lean. I am curvier.

And I hope they have his nose...which is perfect.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I''m a BB and he''s a Bb, so all our kiddies will be brown eyed, brown haired (with red highlights). He has gorgeous thick straight hair, so I hope they get that instead of my can''t-decide-what-it-is mop. But I think curly is a dominant gene...so a 50/50 shot.

I so love genetics!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hair was light golden brown til I was about 10. I am very fair and have blue eyes with yellow green rings around the pupil. My hair is very thick and wavy. He has green eyes (a khaki shade) and used to have amazing thick hair, now it is thinning. All my kids have great noses, and hazel green eyes. My youngest''s are most like mine. My middle has dark thick straight perfect hair, it grows long easily and is shiny and healthy My youngest and youngest have lighter hair (dirty blond/brown) and my oldest''s have a heaviness so it does not look good long. My little guy has straighter hair than his oldest brother''s. Middle son has more olive in his skin like his aunt, oldest and youngest are more fair. They all got my long eyelashes and my cleft chin.

golden

Shiny_Rock
I think your children''s eye will be your husband''s color...maybe not? But my mom has green eyes and my dad has brown eyes....I got everything my dad has!!! The dark brown eyes and dark hair and his olive skin tone. I wish I had my mom''s green eyes...her mom has green eyes as well. My boyfiend has brown eyes like me, but his mom has green eyes, I thought "hmm maybe if we have kids, our mom''s eye will come through!!" hahaha

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 5:40:35 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Hmmm...I thought about it just for something to keep my mind off of class and because we had talked about genetics in my Bio class which was before the class I didn''t want to pay attention to.
I have blue eyes, he has brown eyes. However, his dad has blue eyes and his mom had brown eyes. So her eye dominated his dad''s blue. His mom''s parents both had brown and his dad''s parents both have blue. So I''ll try to draw it out as best I can:
his mom is BB and his dad is bb

BF:
B B
b Bb Bb
b Bb Bb

so his phenotype is Bb meaning that he has genes for both brown eyes and for blue eyes, but because brown is dominant he has brown.

my phenotype is bb because my eyes are blue.

So, basically it means that our kids would be like this:
me-bb, him-Bb

b b
B Bb Bb
b bb bb

So that means that they have 100% chance of having recessive blue eye genes. But we have 50% chance of getting a kid with blue eyes and 50% of getting a kid with brown eyes as a phenotype.

But none of this matters because we''re not having kids except of the furry 4 legged variety.

Does that make sense?

FrekeChild, I hate to ask this but I can''t figure it out. Can you tell me what mine and bf''s chances of eye color are. I have been thinking about this forever and just can''t do it. Of course, only if you have time. BTW...I love those blue shoes!

I have dark brown but my mom has hazel and my dad has green. My mom''s mom has green and my moms dad has dark brown. If its any concession my sisers, both younger, have hazel and then blue eyes. No idea what my grandparents on my dad''s side have.

My bf has blue, his sister, mom, dad, and grandparents are all blue.

Please tell me the answer is blue.

Thank you in advance if you are able to figure this out for me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just realized that my chart thing came out messed up. Blah.

Emeraldlover! I'd love to help you!

Ok. So, I'm guessing that your phenotype is Bb, but the hazel eyes that your mom has and the green eyes that your dad has kind of throws this off because I'm pretty sure green and hazel are abnormal colors and a result of the crazy green eye gene. Ok, not that it's crazy, but it's very unusual.

so this is what I'm thinking:
B=brown
b=blue or green
You-Bb
Your BF-bb

so:

___B__b
b__Bb_bb
b__Bb_bb

(the lines are in there for spacing purposes)
Bb could be brown-like yours or because of the hazel gene floating around, could be hazel.
bb will either be blue or green or a blue-green.

So your kids would seem to have a 100% chance of passing on blue or green eyes and 50% chance of them having blue or green eyes. All in all, not a bad chance of it happening. And I know what you mean about wanting blue eyes. They are beautiful and unfortunately recessive. Blah!

ETA: Thanks about the shoes! I love them, but I haven't been able to wear them yet.
8.gif

tickintime

Rough_Rock
I hate to be a eye-color party pooper but there are many many genes that go into determining eye color. Us scientific folks call this a polygenic trait...Wikipedia. It is much more complex then Mendelian Genetics makes it sound.

At last count there are 3 genes that play a role in eye color. This makes the little chart a much more confusing chart...Attached is a cross with two independent genes for an example. Imagine adding another gene. It would be a 9 by 9 square with 81 combinations (some of them would be the same.)

You also have to consider that eye color is not like an 8 pack of Crayola crayons. There is many many shades of the different colors. My eyes 'change' from blue to green on a daily basis.

Todays lesson is over!

34.gif
34.gif

ETA: Notice that the AB eyes are a much darker brown than the eyes below and to the right. This is not so with monogentic (?) crosses. Hence the reference to shades of color above.

Don't despair this is actually good you can get some beautiful blue-green shades that would not be here if this was based on one gene! Good luck with the blue eyed babies! Interesting Read About Blue Eyes

eyecolor.gif

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having little Asian babies
9.gif
friends of ours have kids that are 1/2 Asian and they are just too cute!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild. Thank you! I''ve often wondered since my eyes are so dark. My sister who has the hazel eyes had a little boy. He''s almost 2 now and he''s got the most amazing blue eyes. I''ll take a child with any color eyes but with my dark hair and my bf''s beautiful blue eyes would be a great combination. We are still looking at least 3 years down the road for kids so I''ll guess we wil just have to wait and see. 50% chance is not bad at all.

Thanks!

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
My colouring is very fair (natural blonde hair, super pale skin, blue-green eyes) and SO''s is considerably darker (brown-black hair, brown eyes, olive skin). So I tend to think our kids will take after him more. I want to go do that predictor linked above now, but I can''t recall his parents'' colouring off-hand!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
That website was neat! According to that we have a 16.8% chance of having a baby with blue or green eyes. That would be so cute.. a little Asian baby with blue or green eyes
5.gif

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
His whole family has super curly hair, so when we talk about it kids I often claim I hope they get his hair. I''ve beautiful, but straight straight hair that I''ve forever wished was curly. He swears if it works out that way, our children will hate him for it.
31.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun thread! If I ever have kids I do wonder what they would look like! I am tallish (5''8") and skinny with completely straight brown hair and brown eyes. I have fair/slightly olive skin with a few freckles on my nose. My mom has brown eyes and my dad has green eyes.

My fiance is shortish (5''7") and somewhat stocky-he has a small waist but broad shoulders and muscular legs-I like to call him thunder thighs!
11.gif
9.gif
He has beautiful blue eyes, fair skin with a great pink undertone and curly brown hair that was totally blond when he was a kid. And his parents both have blue eyes. So we''re basically total opposites physically!

3 of my 4 siblings have brown eyes and none of them married other people with brown eyes, so of my 7 nieces and nephews, only 3 have brown eyes. So I''m thinking if I ever do have kids, they''ll have a pretty good chance of having blue eyes!

I love genetic stuff like this...I think if I ever did have a kid, half the fun would just be seeing what genes came out where in them!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 11:28:17 PM
Author: thing2of2

I love genetic stuff like this...I think if I ever did have a kid, half the fun would just be seeing what genes came out where in them!
I know! I mean, that''s the fun part at this point.
1.gif

LiveLaughLove

Rough_Rock
This is a fun thread.
1.gif

I have blue eyes, and both my parents have blue eyes. My hair is naturally a blondish/brownish/auburn color hair...yuck...that I highlight blonde. I'm average height (5'6) but I'm very skinny and small-boned. I have fair to medium skin, with some freckles.

My BF has blue eyes too (our eyes are the exact same color! -- and his dad also has blue eyes, his mom has green/hazel) and medium brown hair. He's pretty tall (6'1) and average/muscular build. He definitely has olive skin, NO freckles, and NEVER burns in the sun....he's always tan...lucky bastard!
25.gif

I think our kids will have really pretty eyes, but I hope they get his lips because they're so cute.
18.gif

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 3:02:16 PM
Author:sunnyd

In light of the ''i''m so ridiculous'' wedding planning thread, I''m curious so see if anyone else has thought of what their future kids would look like with their SOs (if ya want em, of course).
31.gif
It''s a leap day and I don''t feel like working so...

I know our kids will have dark hair (though it will be blonde until they are 5).

They''ll have brown eyes for sure. Which is sad for me, because he has the most perfect shade of ocean blue eyes, but mine are dark dark dominant brown. I love cool eye colors...though mine are pretty cool because they''re almost black...anyway.
20.gif

Anyone else thought about it?
5.gif
I''ve thought about this, relative to my current BF -- even though it''s somewhat irrelevant. I''m 39, he''s 46; I have an 8 year old and he has a 13 and a 19 year old.....and we definately are not planning to have children together. We''ve talked about it only as a "What if we met when we were younger?" conversation. A kid with our genetics would be good-looking, smart and very creative FOR SURE.

By the way, you can''t count on what you and your BF look like to determine what your kids will look like. Genetics throw curve balls a lot. My son looks very similar to me - in fact, he''s a dead ringer for the older of my brothers at about the same age. But in my own case, both my parents were dark-haired and my mom had olive skin and almost black eyes, and I was born redheaded with very pale brown eyes. The only redhead in my family was my great-great-great grandmother, who died almost 100 years before I was even born. And even though my parents were both dark, my little brother is a pale skinned green-eyed guy with wheat-blond hair (but he has my mom''s sun-skin - he tans like an island person, which is maddening to me). And my BF''s kids? He''s salt and pepper now, but as a younger guy, he had curly black hair and his eyes are hazel. He has some Native American blood from 3 or 4 generations back, so his skin isn''t the pale pale you''d expect from an Irish guy. His ex-wife is a blue-eyed natural blonde. You would think, given the "laws" of dominant genes, that his kids would be dark like him, right? His son is blonde and blue-eyed; he looks like a male version of his mom. His daughter has light brown hair and brown eyes. My BF''s mom had brown eyes.

I just came back from a vacation to New Orleans. Now THAT is an interesting place to visit if you''re interested in seeing how different cultures and ethnicities mix. Their population is a mix of Spanish, French, African-American and Native American. I saw some very beautiful, exotic looking people down there.

Bridget in Connecticut.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 3:45:44 PM
Author: Keepingthefaith21
I'm not sure how the eye color gene works but my dad has blue eyes and my mom has brown eyes. I inherited my father's blue eyes. My dad's father also has the same blue eyes.

Interestingly enough, there was a study done on folks with blue eyes and they found the blue pigment is actually a genetic mutation. Because of this they actually believe that people with blue eyes could all trace their lineage to find out that they were all decended from one person.
This is a great thread - genetics are so interesting!

Red hair is the same way. I'm a natural redhead, and people assume that I'm a redhead because I'm partly Irish. But, the Irish didn't start out as redheads. They got that way because of the Vikings (remember hearing the name "Erik the Red"?). My boyfriend's and my father's coloring is what they call Black Irish - Irish people with swarthy complexions and dark hair, sometimes dark eyes. That came from the Spanish pirates and traders that wandered through. If you look at Italy, you have more of the same going on there. My BF's ex-wife is 100% Italian...but she's a blue-eyed, natural blonde. Her family is Northern Italian, and that population had genetics from the Germanic tribes nearby. But I have an ex-BF who is Sicilian. People in that part of Italy look like what we typically think of as "Italian." The dark features come from the Moors - the Turkish and Eastern African and Arabic traders. I have a friend whose children are a real cultural mixture, and it's very cool to see how genetics played out there. Her family is German (parents came from Europe) and she's a green-eyed blonde. Her ex-husband is originally from Jamaica, and he is a mixture of white and Carribean Black, and one of his grandfathers was Thai. One of her sons is a dead ringer for Gary Dourdan (the black guy on CSI Vegas who kind of looks like Lenny Kravitz sans dreads) with gray eyes. Her daughter, though, looks Polynesian - she has Asian features, straight hair and a yellowish skintone....but she is almost 6 feet tall, built very broad (that girl could play pro football, no problem!) and has freckles. Her other son looks like an average, light-skinned black guy with black-textured hair.

I always thought it was funny that our culture idolizes blue-eyed blondes as "the ideal," since blond hair and blue eyes are mutations and thereby unusual....

Bridget in Connecticut.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 12:03:36 PM
Author: sandia_rose

This is a great thread - genetics are so interesting!

Red hair is the same way. I'm a natural redhead, and people assume that I'm a redhead because I'm partly Irish. But, the Irish didn't start out as redheads. They got that way because of the Vikings (remember hearing the name 'Erik the Red'?). My boyfriend's and my father's coloring is what they call Black Irish - Irish people with swarthy complexions and dark hair, sometimes dark eyes. That came from the Spanish pirates and traders that wandered through.
Yup, or black hair with pale skin and light eyes, like the Corrs!

BF is classic 'black Irish' - dark brown puppy dog eyes, dark brown hair, and a complexion that turns a gorgeous caramel colour in the sun. I don't know what you'd call me, ha ha!!! I have blackest black hair with natural red highlights (hairdressers never believe it's not dyed) and palest pale skin that burns hideously in the smallest amount of sun. I have Nicole Kidman's skin and Catherine Zeta-Jones's hair. I actually have bronzer on in my avatar
3.gif
My eyes are hazel - brown with gold flecks and a greem rim. BF and my Dad joke that they can tell my mood depending on the colour of my eyes because they look different on different days - I have no idea whether to believe them or not!

Both BF and I have close relatives with very fair colouring. Brothers and sisters with blonde hair and blue eyes. My brother has blackest black hair and piercing blue eyes, like Cillian Murphy. It's very striking. My mother's eyes are super green, my father's are a really pale brown. We both have cousins with carrot red hair.

It's going to be a real surprise whatever our kids turn out like!!!
9.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh Delster my BF is so sad that his dark hair and bright blue eyes are going to become extinct when we procreate. LoL. There''s a chance, since all but one of my grandparents have blue eyes, but both my parents have brown and mine are super brown. His dad has brown and his mom has blue. I know eye color and hair color are a mix of several genes or alleles or something (...last time I took bio was 8 years ago) but I''m just chock full of dominance here!!!
3.gif

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 12:34:30 PM
Author: Delster

Yup, or black hair with pale skin and light eyes, like the Corrs!
Since you know what I was talking about when I mentioned Black Irish, I thought I''d post pics of myself (showing my red hair), my BF and my son. My son has reddish brown hair (his dad had brown hair...when he had hair) and the exact same eyes I do. From what I understand, in my BF''s case, it''s an "Irish thing" to go gray early. My BF has been totally silver as shown since he was in his early 30s. My father also went totally gray at a very early age. I happen to like that on a man
1.gif

I have a big white streak of hair in my bangs that I''ve had since I was 13 or 14 (but which I try to dye over and it never stays). I remember reading somewhere that this is called "blaze" or "flash" and is also a genetic mutation particular to Irish people, but I am not 100% sure.

Bridget in Connecticut.

genetics.gif

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll play... I have red hair and DARK brown eyes, people tell me the turn black when i''m angry. I also have the really pale skin and freckles. My bf has really dark brown hair and hazel eyes that go from more green to more brown depending on his mood. He does have red hairs in his beard. Sooooo, genetically speaking, we could have a red haired child. But odds are we''ll have a brown haired kid with my brown eyes. Both my parents have brown eyes, so it''s unlikely that there''s any recessive colors lurking. But you never know.. they both had dark brown hair as well, so you never know!
36.gif

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 1:17:27 PM
Author: redfaerythinker

Both my parents have brown eyes, so it''s unlikely that there''s any recessive colors lurking. But you never know.. they both had dark brown hair as well, so you never know!
You''d never think that two dark-haired parents with dark eyes could have a redhead and a green-eyed blond kid, but that''s what happened in my family! And I know that both my brother and I "belong" to our parents, because we have some of their features in other ways (nose shape, smiles, etc).

I remember reading somewhere recently that a woman gave birth to a tan-skinned child that looked African American, but she and her husband are both white. They thought that their baby had been accidentally switched in the hospital....and turns out that the baby wasn''t! One of the wife''s aunts remembered hearing a family story that they had a slave relative many generations back. There were no pictures from that time, but the doctors in the hospital that did the genetic/DNA test did determine that genes don''t have a limit to how far back they can receed and pop up again. Every now and then, you''ll have something pop up that came from a long-dead relative. Like the red hair in my case.

Bridget in Connecticut.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 1:17:27 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
I''ll play... I have red hair and DARK brown eyes, people tell me the turn black when i''m angry. I also have the really pale skin and freckles. My bf has really dark brown hair and hazel eyes that go from more green to more brown depending on his mood. He does have red hairs in his beard. Sooooo, genetically speaking, we could have a red haired child. But odds are we''ll have a brown haired kid with my brown eyes. Both my parents have brown eyes, so it''s unlikely that there''s any recessive colors lurking. But you never know.. they both had dark brown hair as well, so you never know!
36.gif
redfaerythinker I posted about this black Irish thing on the thread where you put up a photo of you and your BF - he''s a prime example!!!
1.gif

Oh, and my cousins with blue eyes and red hair? Both their Mam and Dad have brown hair and brown eyes... you just don''t know how those genes are going to cook!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results