shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s the meaning behind your SN?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 10:47:22 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Date: 2/20/2008 6:22:34 PM

Author: Krissie

Kristin - I totally feel you. I always got ''Kirsten'' in the UK (I''m a Kristen, too).

I get ''Kristine'' more than anything else, with the occasional dash of ''Christina'' and ''Kirsten'' too. But seriously, 98% of people here call me Kristine. And they''ve known me for 6 months now, and they still don''t get it right. It''s kinda surreal.

C/Koati/Erika: Nice to meet you too!! Thanks, I''m very glad I look like a Gwendolyn to you! Sorry if there''s disappointment in my real name--I''m not too fond of it myself.
3.gif

ZoeBartlett: I once asked you, aaaaages ago, if you chose that name based on The West Wing, because it''s one of my all-time favourite shows!! I wasn''t sure though, because I thought the name in the show had only one ''t'' at the end? I thought if it wasn''t from that show, that it must be your name, so I guess we''re even.
2.gif

Kristin/Gwendolyn, I actually prefer "Kristin." It''s a crisp, clean sounding name.
And I do love the architecture of the letter "K"
2.gif

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Back when I was still majoring in ceramics and jewelry in college, I got my tax ID so I could sell all my ''test'' pottery.
I had made a series of coffee mugs, tea cups, tea pots, honey pots, canisters, and perfume bottles to test my glazes. When the annual student sale came around, I had to set up a business tax ID so I could legally sell my work. CurioPottery was the quickest thing I could think of at the tax office. The stuff I had made was utilitarian. Everything had comfortable handles, perfectly pourable spouts, great lids, basically things people would use or put in their curio cabinets. The name was supposed to be a joking response to the work I was, well, most of us were selling. I thought it was funny, we were all art students. We should have been selling ''art'', but we had to keep all of it for our portfolio reviews, so go figure. Although I don''t have the business anymore, the name stuck and I still use it.

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Mine is kinda nerdy / dorky actually... When you look at the "TT" part of my sn, it''s actually supposed to be a pi symbol (yep, as in high school geometry -- 3.14159). So, there you go -- cutey pie! I thought it up a long time ago, and it sort of became my username / sn in various places way back when and just kinda stuck.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DOOR KNOB SOLITAIRE (and SDL) --- did not mean to offend and certainly didn''t mean to limit your participation in this thread!! Please come back and tell us your inspiration for choosing your name!

Besides, the story of THE door knob solitaire will probably go down in PS history, so maybe you should come back here and regale us with the story (there are quite a few newbies I think that need to hear!).

Love,

Elmo the Fudd
2.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is the first three characters of my first name (MARia) and first three characters of my last name. No, I''m not a comic book fan like some people thought...sorry
2.gif

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 4:29:53 PM
Author: marvel
Mine is the first three characters of my first name (MARia) and first three characters of my last name. No, I''m not a comic book fan like some people thought...sorry
2.gif

MY name is Maria tooo.... All Maria''s unite!

Your ring is like the momma supreme to my ring... love it!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s been fun reading through all these stories!

DKS -- would love to hear your version of the story. I''ve picked up on bits and pieces, but don''t know how it started!

If you took a foreign class where I grew up, you were asked to pick a new first name that was more "authentically" that heritage (which I always found really funny because I"m guessing a lot of the names we picked had nothing to do with the heritage of the language). So in 7th grade, when our laguage classes started, in Spanish I was Alicia, I don''t remember my German name, and in French I was Sabine. I took French all through HS, and the French name just sorta followed me and became my computer id go-to name. My real name is Jess.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not really think when I first signed up. I love bling and diamonds especially, I am a fan, so that just came to my mind. I had a couple of nicknames growing up, but they were not gem related. I felt like getting in the spirit. I considered gemnut, gemlover, gemfan, gemfanatic, blinglover, blingbabe, gemobsessed, I had a ton ready to go but diamondfan just stuck out to me.

OU, my middle name is Margaret. NEVER got how you get Peggy or Peg from it? Maggie, even Meg, yes. But there is NO P in Margaret. Add that to my first name which no one spells or pronounces right even when I say it many times...ugggghhh. And my name is NOT a complex one, in my opinion!

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
DKS~ I''ve never heard your SN story
7.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry that I dont have a great story....its my first name....HA!

people call me Lexy or Lex though.....hey you works sometime too depending on my mood....

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 10:39:43 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Date: 2/20/2008 5:15:45 PM

Author: ladypirate

I like pirates...and I am a lady. I know, not super creative.

My signature is slightly more interesting. I''m in a (geeky rock) band with some friends and we have a song called Hot Chocolate--my signature is the lyrics to the chorus.

I LOVE your sig. I think it is my favourite sig out of all the sigs in the entire universe. Therefore, it logically ensues that I love your band too.
9.gif

Aww, thanks!
9.gif
If we ever make it over to the UK, I''ll definitely let you know.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 4:10:08 PM
Author: cutey TT
Mine is kinda nerdy / dorky actually... When you look at the ''TT'' part of my sn, it''s actually supposed to be a pi symbol (yep, as in high school geometry -- 3.14159). So, there you go -- cutey pie! I thought it up a long time ago, and it sort of became my username / sn in various places way back when and just kinda stuck.
Cutey Pi! I love your screen name! It''s ... well ... cute!!
4.gif

I felt so silly that I was calling you cutey T T ... duh! Makes so much more sense now... so clever!
36.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 4:44:34 PM
Author: curiopotter

Date: 2/21/2008 4:29:53 PM
Author: marvel
2.gif

MY name is Maria tooo.... All Maria''s unite!

Your ring is like the momma supreme to my ring... love it!

Hi Maria
35.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Wow...you ladies are creative!
36.gif

Sadly, my story is not very exciting...
15.gif

As you can probably imagine, I am a Harley-Davidson lover...I
30.gif
to ride, ride to live and so on and so forth, but sadly, my FI does not ride, will never ride, no ifs ands or buts, so it is quickly becoming part of my past, though he would never ask me to stop riding with my friends, but I have started to out of respect for his feelings.

Just about all of my SN's, email addresses, etc... have some form of "harley" in them. I chose "Harleigh" for this forum because it softens the H-D indicators for those who are NOT motorcycle fans (and there are many!) and "Leigh" is how my middle name is spelled...which I used to hate, but now as an adult, I actually love! I have honestly considered tormenting a daughter with the name Harleigh if I ever have kids, but I don't know if I would actually do that!

My real name is Shannon, but I grew up being called Crash (I'm a huge klutz), Zelda (bro was called Zack?!!? and since it from a long gone era, we continue to be stumped by these silly names!) but mostly Shan. In fact, if my parents called me "Shannon," I knew I was in deep doo-doo...Shan it was.

A spin-off of my first and middle names I have used has always been Shanleigh, but most family and friends just call me Shan. The mother of one of my dearest friends with the same name as me calls me "Too," as in, she is Shannon, too, because my friend is the older one! It's just stuck since I was about 12, and I can't imagine her calling me anything else.

My FI, Rusty, calls me "Sweet Pea" all the time, and has for almost the entire time I've known him (almost 16 years now!), which is my favorite nickname of all, and I really wanted to use it here in the aspect of it being a "bridal" forum, too, but I figured there was only room for one Sweetpea on here, and didn't want to step on the toes of our own lovely Sweetpea, so Harleigh I became.
21.gif

I always wish I'd thought of something more gem/jewelry-related, but when I finally decided to join, I was stumped and wasn't very creative, I'm afraid!

All of your stories are so great and I've loved learning about everyone! Thanks for sharing, and it's so nice to meet you all!
35.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
It''s so fun to read about everyone''s choices. Mine is not all that exciting.
15.gif

When FI told me he started looking for an e-ring for me and that he wanted my input, I realized that I love crowns/heads/baskets on rings that looked like royal crowns. I love royal jewelry. So when it came time to pick a screenname, I just thought CrownJewel was nice. Not all that creative!

This_Is_Amore

Rough_Rock
Great thread! Hearing the stories behind the SNs has definitely changed my perception of some of you (ahem, Lauren!).

Mine comes from a sweet moment with my BF. We had known each other for quite a while, and been great friends for years before we started dating. Only six months into our romantic relationship I moved to Italy (from Kansas), and he flew over with me to help me get settled. We travelled around a little bit, and kept getting overwhelmed with how ''Italian'' Italy actually was... So after an evening of good food and wine, the night before he was to return to the States, we were strolling in Rome, and he started belting out the old song "That''s Amore", replacing the phrase with "THIS is Amore" referring to us.

Needless to say, I moved back to be with him after only 6 months away, and now, 3 years later, we''re looking at moving out of the US together- although we''ll probably be headed to Asia this time.

(Real name = Carolyn)

mrs.ROC

Rough_Rock
my fiance''s referred to ROC- Republic of China....therefore "future" mrs.ROC

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Elmo...you know I was a kidding you. I appreciate that you thought of me and my moniker...it warms my heart. If you ever offend me...trust me ...I have the keyboard and nibble fingers to express it...please always read my posts with a lite heart...and attempt to see a smidgen of humor when you are in doubt. If there is doubt...just ask.

She is right gang...there is really nothing much to read into the background of it. Hubbub asked friend to help him find a DOOR KNOB as he was really to present me with a ring. Dang friend who knows everything about diamonds convinced him a girl of my YOUTHFUL age, and stature could only pull off a 2 carat. Anything beyond that size would not be believable. Man, if only he said it ain''t a DoorKnob until it is 3.5 to 4 carats. Oh well. (how ungrateful did that sound? Oh how ugly! Ashamed of that I am
15.gif
.)

If you want to catch a glimpse of the aforementioned stone...ps member Harleigh has one that is my exact measurements. (the actual authentic stone got tossed in trash... no need for any further conversation on the subject we have beaten that dead horse and I can''t take up any more board space with it. We can all move forward) And of course we can just wonder...how my measurements ended up being another PS members measurements...just wonder. Not implying anything...honest. I heart my Harleigh-just like a sista. But sista''s do borrow things don''t they????
2.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2008 5:00:08 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Elmo...you know I was a kidding you. I appreciate that you thought of me and my moniker...it warms my heart. If you ever offend me...trust me ...I have the keyboard and nibble fingers to express it...please always read my posts with a lite heart...and attempt to see a smidgen of humor when you are in doubt. If there is doubt...just ask.

She is right gang...there is really nothing much to read into the background of it. Hubbub asked friend to help him find a DOOR KNOB as he was really to present me with a ring. Dang friend who knows everything about diamonds convinced him a girl of my YOUTHFUL age, and stature could only pull off a 2 carat. Anything beyond that size would not be believable. Man, if only he said it ain''t a DoorKnob until it is 3.5 to 4 carats. Oh well. (how ungrateful did that sound? Oh how ugly! Ashamed of that I am
15.gif
.)

If you want to catch a glimpse of the aforementioned stone...ps member Harleigh has one that is my exact measurements. (the actual authentic stone got tossed in trash... no need for any further conversation on the subject we have beaten that dead horse and I can''t take up any more board space with it. We can all move forward) And of course we can just wonder...how my measurements ended up being another PS members measurements...just wonder. Not implying anything...honest. I heart my Harleigh-just like a sista. But sista''s do borrow things don''t they????
2.gif
Thanks for posting your story! Where do you live so I can go through your trash, since you say you throw diamonds in there?
31.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
For you DKS, showing the love!

glassdoorknob.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock
All these fun stories are making me wish mine was a little more exciting.

"Princess" has been a part of any nickname I''ve had since I was 14. And I mean everything, from a camp nickname, to my nickname for my dad''s Harley group. I''m not sure how it happened, but suddenly anytime somebody wanted to give me a nickname, that was included. I don''t think I act like one (I hope I hope I hope), but "princess" seemed to stick. I added the third "s" because my real name starts with an "s". And means princess, actually.
26.gif

And my quote is from a website called Storypeople. It''s amazing. It''s filled with these little stories (my quote would count as a story), some are illustrated and some aren''t, but they''re all beautiful. I have Storypeople quotes everywhere, and this one just seemed to fit PS the best, especially since I spend most of my time on the LIW and BWW boards (even though I fit into neither category...).

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
That''s it Elmer!! That''s it! When I first logged in to PS...way back when...some poster had her friend who lived in a Turn of the century home ...take a photo of her hand...under the door knob...you know a hand shot! It was hilarious. She went to a lot of trouble to ask the favor, forward the image and then of course post it.

It was a hoot and it was enjoyed by most of the readers. And there it is again! Thanks Elmo!
emlove.gif
love back at cha babe!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 10:14:52 PM
Author: ~*Alexis*~
Sorry that I dont have a great story....its my first name....HA!

people call me Lexy or Lex though.....hey you works sometime too depending on my mood....

i''m an alexis too! i always went by lexi or lex until i was about 19, then i started introducing myself as alexis because i thought it sounded a little more "grown up".....i wish i never started that though!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine reflects the license plate on my MINI -- MINI MS. The new MINI had just been introduced in the States when I decided to get one, and I was so thrilled with the prospect that I immediately went online to order my first-ever personalized plate!

The irony is that I quit using this SN on the MINI forum... long story... and am now the VRBeauty over there. So I''m glad to be able to use it here!

Next mission, find myself an avatar and figure out how to post it!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Grief,

After reading all of these wonderful stories, I have come to the conclusion I am boring. HA!!!

My name is Linda and my last name begins with a W = LindaW.

Lauren The Partier: I thought you liked to party too.
9.gif

Linda

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
i don''t hang out on diamond hangout too often, i''m always in the show me the ring forum, salivating... but this makes me want to play too

isis is my daughter''s name and i named her for the egyptian goddess, isis. not that MY name is isis or that I think IM a goddess! (well, maybe i did once when i was like 19, but i think all teenagers go through that stage and that i should be excused)

why did i name her after an egyptian goddess? it''s the only unit of high school history class that stuck with me, or that i even remember. it''s probably the only thing i actually remember from any of my classes actually. i loved learning about egypt and wanted to go someday. i loved the idea of a woman being so important in the structure and belief systems of an ancient, or any society. we do so much and darn it, we should be revered for it! when my daughter was born, i said why not? it''s a name, it''s not like i made it up, and it''s got meaning alright. so i did it. i get more comments on her name than i do on my diamonds. jeez, what have i done??

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
IG, it is a lovely name. I think she was married to King Osiris if I am not mistaken.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2008 7:57:11 PM
Author: thing2of2
My screen name is from Dr. Suess''s ''The Cat in the Hat.'' There are two naughty ''Things,'' Thing 1 and Thing 2. (With the red bodies and turquoise hair.) I have a twin sister and my mom used to call us Thing 1 and Thing 2, probably because we were crazy and would run around making messes just like the Things! I was born second, so I''m Thing 2 and my sister is Thing 1. My twin sister actually invented the name Thing1of2, and I liked it a lot so I took Thing2of2.

As for quotes, I used to have a signature but it somehow went away...it was ''Diamonds on my neck, di, diamonds on my neck...'' because there''s an amazing rap song by Smitty and that''s the hook. My friend told me it was my theme song since I love diamonds so much!
That is so cool, I love it!!

My name is Andrea, which gets shortened to Andi at work and by friends. The ''dandy'' part was added by a really good friend, because he reckons I am ''just dandy!'' He''s a sausage
41.gif
I changed the ''y'' to an ''i'' because I liked it better, and Andy with a ''y'' looks too boyish to me!

isis~goddess

Shiny_Rock
thank you! and VERY good! most people say "what, isis? where did you get that, never heard of it" and i think, come on people, if I could pick it up, paying as little attention in high school as i did, then ANYONE could, lol! but i guess maybe we didn''t all have ancient egypt in highschool, so ill give everybody a break. anyway, osiris was her husband, and also her brother (gasp!!) but it''s myth, so whatever. the name technically means "queen of the throne", so that''s all i needed to know when picking out a name for my daughter. and it''s low key, nobody really knows i think she''s queen of the thrown unless they know their history, so i don''t look toooooo brazen,
31.gif

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my name is very unoriginal. I joined initially to research my diamond eternity ring so D2B, simply stood for Diamonds to Be. Although I dont post as frequently, my diamond knowledge is basic to say the least, I am loving this site and should get around to having a proper photo rather than just a smilie face in my avatar one day
4.gif

35.gif

D2b

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results