shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the best way to clean?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sbuffaloe

Rough_Rock
Can someone please tell me the best way to clean e-rings & wedding bands? My wb is pave'' set and my e-ring has pave'' set diamonds along the shank. I have now lost TWO OF THEM!! One in the band and one in the e-ring! Who knew you weren''t supposed to put any pave'' setting into the SI Ultrasonic Cleanser !?*#?! That''s what I bought the damn thing for!! Anyway, short of running into my jeweler weekly to have them steamed, what is the next best thing? Obviously, I have to part ways with my ultrasonic! My jeweler said even that slight vibration can dislodge the pave'' setting!! Dang it!! I really was enjoying the cleanliness of it!!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE TarnX jewelry cleaner and Blitz FOAM - both do an excellent job - I buy online.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Some people around here swear by the basics - a soak in hot soapy water followed by a very light scrub with a soft toothbrush. Thats what I''ve been doing with great results.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s easy, don''t worry. I do feel badly about you losing stones though. That''s upsetting.

First, buy yourself a good quality baby''s toothbrush. I have a little blue Oral-B. LOL! Then get yourself a large jar of a good grade of jewelry cleaner. (I like Haggerty''s Jewel Clean). Jewelry cleaner has a basket inside. Place your pieces into it to soak for a half hour if they''re really gunky from handcream and dead skin (hey, it''s winter time), or just swish your pieces in the jewelry juice if you''re cleaning them everyday. Dip your baby toothbrush into the solution and lightly brush your whole ring- outside and inside the mounting under the stones. Don''t worry, it won''t do any damage at all. Then run them under warm water to rinse (make sure the drain basket is in your sink!) Blot them dry with a lint free paper towel. Bounty is recommended by my eye doctor for my eyeglasses, so I use that. If you don''t have any good jewelry cleaner in the house, you can substitute Windex in a dixie cup. (Windex is also good for when a ring gets stuck on your finger. The ladies in Fortunoff spray peoples'' fingers when rings get stuck trying them on).

For the tiny scratches in the shanks, ask your jeweler where you can buy a buffing wand. The wand has two sides. One side cleans and the other side polishes. I keep my husband''s rings looking new this way. He''s very hard on his rings. For more pronounced scratches on the metal, I use Caribbean Gem and Jewelry liquid cleaning paste. It has a tiny amount of abrasive in it. It will actually remove small scratches. http://www.caribbeangem.com It will clean or take the tarnish off of any metal. I use it to clean my silver plated serve ware too!

Don''t ever use toothpaste on your rings like some women do. It''s horribly abrasive and will scratch and eventually dull the metal. If you took a loupe to your rings after using toothpaste, you wouldn''t be happy.
38.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
I've used windex, warm soapy water (I've like Dial the best, funny I only buy the brand to clean my rings, dishes get generic), and the little re bottle of jewelry cleaner all with a baby tooth brush and rinse well with warm water. They all work well. I've also cleaned them in a vinegar/hydrogen peroxide hot bath... that really made them sparkle amd look white, but don't know if that is good for them LOL... so not going to use that method anymore. I've also let them soak in the hydrogen peroxide, and the little bubbles get in there and clean then I rinse them really well.

My appraiser recommend windex. Let me know what you try and how it works.

sbuffaloe

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help! Luckily, I found one of the little buggers! It was in my ring when I put it in the cleaner and gone when I took it out, so I knew it was in there, took me a little while, but I found it, yay!! Amazing how HUGE of a gap the teeny thing leaves, lol! I wasn''t able to find the first one, but my jeweler replaced it for free :) I am waiting for my ering to be repaired and rest assured, I have bid adieu to the ultrasonic! I would have died if one the diamonds had popped out of my David Yurman from that thing!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like a mixture of purified water and windex that I heat in the microwave. I soak them for about 5 minutes, use the baby toothbrush if necessary then soak them about a minute in boiled purified water. They look very clean and sparkly. I am glad you found the diamond that fell out.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i use baking powder and water mixed..and then scrub with a baby toothbrush--very sparkly pave. sometimes i do the windex mix...it also comes out very sparkly.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard that windex isn''t good for white gold due to the ammonia content. Is this true?

I too have lost stones due to my US, but darn it they get so clean in there!

sbuffaloe

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your feedback! I got my baby back today. I asked my jeweler the best way to clean them and he said ammonia. FYI, my rings are white gold, and he didn''t mention that ammonia could harm them in any way. He did say it was okay to clean them in the ultrasonic occassionally, just not for regular use. So, I''m off to grab a bottle of ammonia and a toothbrush!
emteeth.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/21/2008 3:23:57 PM
Author: sbuffaloe
Thanks for all your feedback! I got my baby back today. I asked my jeweler the best way to clean them and he said ammonia. FYI, my rings are white gold, and he didn''t mention that ammonia could harm them in any way. He did say it was okay to clean them in the ultrasonic occassionally, just not for regular use. So, I''m off to grab a bottle of ammonia and a toothbrush!
emteeth.gif
Thanks for coming back and posting what you''ve found out. The ammonia in Windex must be why it is such a common recommendation. I asked my appraiser about ammonia, she said that works well too, if you can stand the smell
14.gif

TaraLeigh

Rough_Rock
My jeweller recommended ammonia as well... although I haven''t tried it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results