shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitty wants to eat Icy Hot

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I got into a car accident on Saturday (got hit by an uninsured motorist and ended up crashing into a retaining wall). So my neck has been sore and to remedy that I''ve been using Icy Hot. Well, my kitten goes nuts when I put it on and tries to lick it off of my neck (talk about our pets wanting to eat strange things). Last night in bed he was literally fighting me to get to the Icy Hot. Has anyone else noticed that their cats are attracted to Icy Hot. I''m sure it''s really bad for him to lick so I keep him away, but I''m wondering if anyone knows what ingredient he might be attracted to. Maybe I can find a similar product without that ingredient and thus not get clawed. TIA!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2008 10:25:12 AM
Author:sap483
I got into a car accident on Saturday (got hit by an uninsured motorist and ended up crashing into a retaining wall). So my neck has been sore and to remedy that I''ve been using Icy Hot. Well, my kitten goes nuts when I put it on and tries to lick it off of my neck (talk about our pets wanting to eat strange things). Last night in bed he was literally fighting me to get to the Icy Hot. Has anyone else noticed that their cats are attracted to Icy Hot. I''m sure it''s really bad for him to lick so I keep him away, but I''m wondering if anyone knows what ingredient he might be attracted to. Maybe I can find a similar product without that ingredient and thus not get clawed. TIA!
Yikes! I think it might be the menthol which I believe is in the product, I have had cats be very attracted to menthol sweets or products, so it could be that - but well done in keeping him from licking it as it could be harmful to him.

I hope you feel better soon and I am so sorry about what happened to you
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
Have you seen the doc with your sore neck?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
It probably is the menthol, or maybe eucalyptus? I''m not sure what the ingredients are.

I had a cat obsessed with Trader Joe''s UNSCENTED moisturizing cream. He could smell it from downstairs and he always tried to lick it off me. I used to put a little on his paw to distract him from my skin! It has a bunch of natural oils and herbs in it and he loved it. I think it may have also helped with his hairballs. Maybe not the healthiest thing out there, but it didn''t make him sick.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure what your cat could be attracted to, but I feel your pain! My cat is obsessed with bubble bath. Any time I take a bubble bath she practically jumps in and is always trying to lick the bubbles right off of me.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Catnip is in the mint family, which is also the source for menthol. While many cats are repelled by menthol, some LOOOOOVE it, so I agree that it is probably the attraction for your kitty. Unfortunately, menthol also gives muscle rubs that tingly feeling, so I'm not sure what an alternative would be.

ETA: Menthol itself is not toxic in normal dosages, BUT another ingredient, methyl salicylate IS toxic to cats, so avoid it as well.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve found that my cat just doesn''t like it when I have anything one me. It''s a cleaning instinct. Try putting some antibiotic ointment on and if she tries to lick that off then that''s probably what it is (mine tries to lick any sort of cream or lotion or salve off of me as she thinks I am dirty... she also likes to eat tape and then throw up all over the floor
20.gif
).

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It likely is the menthol. Catnip is related to peppermint or spearmint...can''t remember which.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2008 5:30:35 PM
Author: heraanderson

In case you haven''t heard, there''s a icy hot recall. Not sure if it''s one you use, but wouldn''t want the kitty getting sick.

http://www.icyhotrecall.com/

Oh, no!

I don''t know about icyhot, but my kitty does this with my medicated lotions
38.gif
Crazy cat! I have to hide my legs under the covers so he won''t come after me!

tiffanytwisted

Brilliant_Rock
My cat loves adhesive. She goes after envelopes, boxes, anything with adhesive on it. I can''t figure it out, seems like it would make her tongue gummy!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Both of my cats love Icy Hot and Ben Gay - - I just keep the area covered so kitty can''t lick. I would see if you can find one of those Therma Pad things that could fit on your neck comfortably...then you have the pain relief without the added pain of a kitten driving you batty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results