shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know what happens to the royal orders when the person wearing them dies? For example, Diana obviously had a QEII royal order, but what happens to that after Diana''s death? Do such pieces go to the children? And once QEII dies, do those royal orders get "retired" or would they continue to be worn, with the addition of the new king/queen''s royal order? Just curious...I''d so love to know who paints those tiny porcelain portraits!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 8:48:47 PM
Author: surfgirl
Does anyone know what happens to the royal orders when the person wearing them dies? For example, Diana obviously had a QEII royal order, but what happens to that after Diana''s death? Do such pieces go to the children? And once QEII dies, do those royal orders get ''retired'' or would they continue to be worn, with the addition of the new king/queen''s royal order? Just curious...I''d so love to know who paints those tiny porcelain portraits!
I think the family keeps the order after the wearer dies.

I also think you would still wear the QEII order after her death & hopefully you would be awarded the Charles III order to go with it.
2.gif

I''ve definately seen "old" orders worn with new ones.

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Lady A I wasn''t sure if you meant this POW brooch that Charles gave copies of to several women or if you meant the emerald drop POW brooch, so here''s both.

pow1.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Wearing the emerald drop

image_894891.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 8:48:47 PM
Does anyone know what happens to the royal orders when the person wearing them dies? For example, Diana obviously had a QEII royal order, but what happens to that after Diana''s death? Do such pieces go to the children? And once QEII dies, do those royal orders get ''retired'' or would they continue to be worn, with the addition of the new king/queen''s royal order? Just curious...I''d so love to know who paints those tiny porcelain portraits!
I submitted that very question once to the Mailbag section of the monarchy website, but it did not get an answer.

There is some speculation the Countess of Wessex is wearing the QEII family order that Diana once wore and that the DUchess of Cornwall is wearing the one that QEQM had. Whether this is true or not we will probably never know. There is also speculation that there were only a certain number of QEII family orders made at the time of the accesision to the throne, so that at any one time there can only be a certain number of active wearers. Again speculation. A recent discussion on another board also questioned the use, in this day and age of verboten ivory, how new orders would be produced.

Certainly, after the accesson of a new monarch, the former monarch''s family order continues to be worn by the recipient. QEQM wore two orders, Princess Margaret three...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to both of you for the update on the orders...With regard to ivory, I had rather assumed that the portraits were painted on porcelain, not ivory so that''s rather surprising as I''d think porcelain would be a better base/medium for mini paintings (smooth, can get a good airbrushed look and dont have any grain on the surface).

It''s also interesting that there are a limited number or orders. I''d have thought that as each royal became of age, s/he would get and order made up and presented to them. I know in Thailand, VIPs receive a special pin or something when they have an audience with one of the Royal Family but I dont know what it actually is. Do commoners receive something like an order when they''re presented to the Queen or Prince Charles?

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 1:38:17 PM

It's also interesting that there are a limited number or orders. I'd have thought that as each royal became of age, s/he would get and order made up and presented to them. I know in Thailand, VIPs receive a special pin or something when they have an audience with one of the Royal Family but I dont know what it actually is. Do commoners receive something like an order when they're presented to the Queen or Prince Charles?

Please let me emphasize again, that the theory of a limited number of orders is only speculation.

The royal family order is competely within the gift of the sovereign and as such its presentation to any particular person is not guaranteed. Sarah, Duchess of York did not receive it. Princess Michael of Kent does not have it.
As far as 'presentation orders' go, I have not heard that anything of the sort is given, but I suppose once I'm presented to the Queen, I will find out. hahahaha.

Here's Princess Margaret wearing a variety of family orders, the Royal Victorian chain and the Order of the Crown of India (given to herself and then-Princess Elizabeth by their father on the eve of India's independence). Orders on the left shoulder from top to bottom: Order of the Crown of India, QEII family order, George VI family order, George V family order. The tiara was orignally worn by QEQM and given to the Princess sometime in the '50s. The collet necklace was given by Queen Mary and it was sold in the recent auction of jewels. This necklace did not have a particularly long association with the royal jewel collection - I believe it had been a bequest to Queen Mary from a Lady Something or Other.

pmm.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
This comment is a little behind the times...but I really don''t think Diana''s choker as a headband was a good idea. Looks strange! Did she get any heat for wearing it like that?

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 12:25:42 PM
Author: emeraldeyes
Wearing the emerald drop
The emerald looks lighter than the pictures of Diana''s emerald - but nevertheless I do think it is the same piece.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 12:24:33 PM
Lady A I wasn''t sure if you meant this POW brooch that Charles gave copies of to several women or if you meant the emerald drop POW brooch, so here''s both.
This is the POW brooch that I was talking about. I call it the insignia of Charlie''s Club.
2.gif
Who do we know he gave it to besides Camilla? I know Tiggy and I think Lady Tryon had one too.

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
It could look lighter simply because the pic is taken in daytime, outside in natural light and it is against a very light coloured fabric. Personally I think it''s the same piece too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently noticed that this thread did become a "sticky". (I do not know why that word is used.) The thread is now, as we had asked that it be, permanently placed at the top of Jewelry Pieces. I want to thank Andrey and Ali for that. I do not know if there is a part of this thread in which others thanked them already. If so, I missed it and would love to be directed to the correct page so that I can read what everyone said!

We kept asking that the thread be made into a sticky and it was and then I, at least, saw no discussion of its transformation!

Deborah
34.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I have it bookmarked so I always go straight to the most recent page - so I never noticed anything different. But a big THANKS!! to the Admin.

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2008 4:26:19 PM
Author: AGBF

I recently noticed that this thread did become a ''sticky''. (I do not know why that word is used.)

Deborah
34.gif

I think it has something to do with being ''stuck'' to the top of the list, like a ''sticky note'' or ''Post-It Note''.

But whatever the reason, Royal Jewels is at the top as it should be!
36.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I had noticed that a bunch of us had mentioned along this thread that it should be stickied, but I didn't know if anyone had ever actually contacted anyone about it, so I messaged PS admin a couple days ago and within minutes practically Andrey e-mailed me back and said it was done! Pretty neat, PS has such WONDERFUL admins!! :) Yayyy!

This_Is_Amore

Rough_Rock
WOW!!!

I''ve only been lurking on this site for a year now, and posting for a month-ish.... HOW HAVE I NOT FOUND THIS THREAD UNTIL NOW?
33.gif

Kudos to LadyA and all the other kind posters who gathered such exquisite photos for my viewing pleasure! I just read through the entirety of the thread over the past three hours, and am thinking I should look into my geneology in case some distant relative with no direct heirs would like to make a royal jewelry bequest in my direction...

Maryww

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 3:59:29 PM

Date: 2/9/2008 1:38:17 PM

It''s also interesting that there are a limited number or orders. I''d have thought that as each royal became of age, s/he would get and order made up and presented to them. I know in Thailand, VIPs receive a special pin or something when they have an audience with one of the Royal Family but I dont know what it actually is. Do commoners receive something like an order when they''re presented to the Queen or Prince Charles?

Please let me emphasize again, that the theory of a limited number of orders is only speculation.

The royal family order is competely within the gift of the sovereign and as such its presentation to any particular person is not guaranteed. Sarah, Duchess of York did not receive it. Princess Michael of Kent does not have it.
As far as ''presentation orders'' go, I have not heard that anything of the sort is given, but I suppose once I''m presented to the Queen, I will find out. hahahaha.

Here''s Princess Margaret wearing a variety of family orders, the Royal Victorian chain and the Order of the Crown of India (given to herself and then-Princess Elizabeth by their father on the eve of India''s independence). Orders on the left shoulder from top to bottom: Order of the Crown of India, QEII family order, George VI family order, George V family order. The tiara was orignally worn by QEQM and given to the Princess sometime in the ''50s. The collet necklace was given by Queen Mary and it was sold in the recent auction of jewels. This necklace did not have a particularly long association with the royal jewel collection - I believe it had been a bequest to Queen Mary from a Lady Something or Other.
Doesn''t PM look grand!
1.gif

You ladies have been busy since I visited last! So all this royal jewelry forced me to lug up my box of Princess Diana books from my basement - if I run across anything new, I''ll post it!

Again, THANK YOU to all who have posted. It''s a mini-course in European history to read this post!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I just posted a question on the celebrity engagement ring thread...are there people that are interested discussing famous jewelry owned by famous people other than the royal family...example...Elizabeth Taylors exceptional collection of famous jewels...Mary Pickford and her stunning ruby collection...or maybe Joan Crawford and her star sapphires from Yard and other famous american jewelers.Jackie Kennedy and her collection of jewels from Van Cleff and Arpels.Movie Stars are american royality from the past and many jewels from royal familys are in private american collection...anyone interested in talking about this topic?My favorite celebrity jewel?...Liz taylors 33 carat diamond ring...a true stunner!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Princess Letizia at an event for King Juan Carlos'' Birthday in January. Interesting earrings!

letiziajuancarlosbirthday1-9-2008.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Crown Princess Mary wore her amethyst studs to an event recently.

mary2-10-2008.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Mary wore this matching amethyst ring. You can also see her ering peeking out there.

mary2-10-2008a.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2008 9:13:01 PM
Author: jewelerman
I just posted a question on the celebrity engagement ring thread...are there people that are interested discussing famous jewelry owned by famous people other than the royal family...example...Elizabeth Taylors exceptional collection of famous jewels...Mary Pickford and her stunning ruby collection...or maybe Joan Crawford and her star sapphires from Yard and other famous american jewelers.Jackie Kennedy and her collection of jewels from Van Cleff and Arpels.Movie Stars are american royality from the past and many jewels from royal familys are in private american collection...anyone interested in talking about this topic?My favorite celebrity jewel?...Liz taylors 33 carat diamond ring...a true stunner!
I prefer Liz''s Taj Mahal Diamond necklace..., circa 1627!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Mathilde wore this pretty set of earrings & recycled a favorite coat for Prince Charles'' recent visit to Belgium.

mathilde2-2008.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woo can you tell me more about Lady Maxima''s ering :) I LOVE HER......................She looks so fun and full of life :) I think her orange ring is so pretty. What kind of stone is it? Thank you for all of the awesome information :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I think this is a fantastic idea! I think you should start a new thread. "Famous Jewelry Collections" or something like that. It''s not really "Royal Jewels" and it''s not exactly "celebrity rings." I''d be interested in talking about it- and seeing it.
30.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/14/2008 4:55:42 PM
Author: woobug02
Woo can you tell me more about Lady Maxima''s ering :) I LOVE HER......................She looks so fun and full of life :) I think her orange ring is so pretty. What kind of stone is it? Thank you for all of the awesome information :)
The center stone is an orange diamond. The Dutch Royals are from the House of Orange so they usually try to incorporate that idea into their clothing and jewelry on important occasions.

Maryww

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/14/2008 4:55:42 PM
Hi Woo!
Maxima''s ring is an orange diamond set in platinum. Here''s a picture of it:

I love your sapphire wrap, by the way!

maximaring021408.jpg

Maryww

Rough_Rock
Ok, that picture is TEENY. Let''s try again:

maximaring02140822.jpg

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Wooo, thank you Maryww.... it looks like it maybe flanked with two eternity bands... I can''t tell :) I have never seen an orange diamond!!!!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/15/2008 10:31:36 AM
Wooo, thank you Maryww.... it looks like it maybe flanked with two eternity bands... I can''t tell :) I have never seen an orange diamond!!!!
The diamond bands are actually part of the ering. I think the orange diamond is an oval in an east west setting flanked by white diamond pears.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results