carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 5:16:33 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
In this photo Queen Mary is wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara with the original emerald spikes, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, the Cambridge Emerald Earrings, two diamond collet necklaces, the Delhi Durbar necklace, I THINK that could be the Cambridge Emerald Stomacher (it would make sense), and the Dehli Durbar Brooch.

(Is that a Star of the Garter Emeraldeyes? I guess I had better start paying attention to alll these orders and decorations huh?)
9.gif

Yes, it is the Star of the Garter. The sash is being held in place by Queen Victoria''s bar brooch that you can just make out on the left shoulder. No one, not even Queen Alexandra could wear jewels like Queen Mary! Gotta love her...

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 5:30:38 PM
Another one - this time color yay! - of the Queen wearing the Vlad Tiara with the emerald drops, Cambridge Emerald Earrings and Delhi Durbar Necklace. Oh how I wish I could get a closer look at the bracelet on her right arm. Looks like a colored stone for sure so probably and emerald - but doesn''t seem quite large enough to be the Cambridge Emerald bracelet. What do you think Emeraldeyes?

I think the Queen looks stunning in emeralds.

Yes I think that is the bracelet. It looks to me like the big cabochon is kind of camouflaged by the sash of the order. Not sure which order that is. Jordan maybe???
33.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
A slightly closer picture of the Queen (with King Juan Carlos of Spain) wearing the Cambridge Emerald Bracelet on her right arm. She is also wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara. The necklace is of course the Delhi Durbar. I wasn''t able to identify the other bracelet.

queenjuancarlos.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 5:42:10 PM
Author: emeraldeyes

Date: 2/6/2008 5:16:33 PM
In this photo Queen Mary is wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara with the original emerald spikes, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, the Cambridge Emerald Earrings, two diamond collet necklaces, the Delhi Durbar necklace, I THINK that could be the Cambridge Emerald Stomacher (it would make sense), and the Dehli Durbar Brooch.

(Is that a Star of the Garter Emeraldeyes? I guess I had better start paying attention to alll these orders and decorations huh?)
9.gif

Yes, it is the Star of the Garter. The sash is being held in place by Queen Victoria''s bar brooch that you can just make out on the left shoulder. No one, not even Queen Alexandra could wear jewels like Queen Mary! Gotta love her...
She must have been a sight in all her glory! I think I would have had to curtsey just to spare my eyes from all the dazzle!
9.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a small "mystery" for you Emeraldeyes. This is Diana wearing the emerald and diamond drop earrings and the Prince of Wales Feathers Diamond necklace - both presents from Prince Charles. I''ve always wondered if the emerald drop (which is detachable) was made from one of the "extra" Cambridge emeralds. Do you have any info on the drop?

diana1o.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a close up of the necklace.

dianaprinceofwalesfeathersnecklace.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Emeraldeyes - Here''s my second small "mystery" of the day. (Amazing what you find when you start to troll the archives.
1.gif
) In this picture of Princess Diana with Princess Margaret I think Diana is wearing the Cambridge choker but with an "extender" of some sort. Do you agree?

dianaemeraldnecklace.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 6:03:28 PM
Here''s a small ''mystery'' for you Emeraldeyes. This is Diana wearing the emerald and diamond drop earrings and the Prince of Wales Feathers Diamond necklace - both presents from Prince Charles. I''ve always wondered if the emerald drop (which is detachable) was made from one of the ''extra'' Cambridge emeralds. Do you have any info on the drop?

Oooh, I''ve always liked this piece. It was originally a wedding present to Queen Alexandra, so that would pre-date the entry of the Cambridge emeralds into the collection. Somewhere, I have a contemporary drawing of the wedding presents.

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 6:12:37 PM
Emeraldeyes - Here''s my second small ''mystery'' of the day. (Amazing what you find when you start to troll the archives.
1.gif
) In this picture of Princess Diana with Princess Margaret I think Diana is wearing the Cambridge choker but with an ''extender'' of some sort. Do you agree?
Gee, that''s a tough one. Originally I thought definitely no, but after looking more closely and counting the emeralds, it may be possible - the shape of the motifs don''t look entirely right somehow. I don''t think this particular necklace appeared again, so there are a few possibilities...

1) adapted Cambridge choker.
2) different emerald necklace from her collection.
3) a loaner.
We really need a clearer photo. Any idea of the year this pic is from?

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 4:45:57 PM
The Cambridge Emerald earrings. I think Diana is wearing them - on loan from the Queen - in the second picture of her I posted.
I checked the photo in my book and it''s not much better, but the shape doesn''t quite fit to my eyes. Could Diana''s earrings in the pic be the pendant parts to the dangly ones she is wearing in the other pic?
33.gif

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
I know I have a better, unmarked one of these somewhere, but somehow I can never find what I''m looking for...time for a new system I suppose. These are some of Queen Alexandra''s wedding presents. The POW feather pendant with emerald drop is shown on the bottom right. There is an enduring discussion on whether or not this is the same pendant that Camilla has been seen wearing with the emerald earrings that are shown on either side of this necklace.

earringsemeraldalex1.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 7:45:50 PM

Date: 2/6/2008 6:03:28 PM
Here''s a small ''mystery'' for you Emeraldeyes. This is Diana wearing the emerald and diamond drop earrings and the Prince of Wales Feathers Diamond necklace - both presents from Prince Charles. I''ve always wondered if the emerald drop (which is detachable) was made from one of the ''extra'' Cambridge emeralds. Do you have any info on the drop?

Oooh, I''ve always liked this piece. It was originally a wedding present to Queen Alexandra, so that would pre-date the entry of the Cambridge emeralds into the collection. Somewhere, I have a contemporary drawing of the wedding presents.
Hmm so you think it is the same necklace? I thought there was more than one Prince of Wales Feathers necklace out there. Or am I just getting confused with the PoW Feathers brooches? I know there are several of them.

So this piece that Diana wears is originally a brooch that was attached to a necklace? I think I remember seeing her wearing it as a brooch...

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 7:54:50 PM

Date: 2/6/2008 6:12:37 PM
Emeraldeyes - Here''s my second small ''mystery'' of the day. (Amazing what you find when you start to troll the archives.
1.gif
) In this picture of Princess Diana with Princess Margaret I think Diana is wearing the Cambridge choker but with an ''extender'' of some sort. Do you agree?
Gee, that''s a tough one. Originally I thought definitely no, but after looking more closely and counting the emeralds, it may be possible - the shape of the motifs don''t look entirely right somehow. I don''t think this particular necklace appeared again, so there are a few possibilities...

1) adapted Cambridge choker.
2) different emerald necklace from her collection.
3) a loaner.
We really need a clearer photo. Any idea of the year this pic is from?
I think the pic is from the early 90''s based on Diana''s hair & how Princess Margaret looks. Also Diana wore this dress around then. I completely can''t remember where this photo is from but I am guessing one of the royalty magazines.

I don''t know of any other emerald necklaces in her collection & I doubt it is a loaner for some reason. The occasion looks more "private" so I am thinking Diana would not have a reason to wear a loaner piece...

I am going to stay with thinking it is the Cambridge adapted. I think I read somewhere that she had it taken off the velvet backing that she used to make it into the headband but didn''t like it as a choker so had an extender added. Don''t ask me where I am getting this from though!!

I think the reason the motifs look a little funny is because it lays so differently when it is worn this way.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2008 7:58:51 PM

Date: 2/6/2008 4:45:57 PM
The Cambridge Emerald earrings. I think Diana is wearing them - on loan from the Queen - in the second picture of her I posted.
I checked the photo in my book and it''s not much better, but the shape doesn''t quite fit to my eyes. Could Diana''s earrings in the pic be the pendant parts to the dangly ones she is wearing in the other pic?
33.gif
I don''t think that the earrings are the bottom part of the pendants.. maybe they are just a bit twisted & not laying straight on her ear?

I know there are better pictures from this occasion out there so I will keep my eyes peeled.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Trawled through some archives yesterday & came up with some more photos of Diana wearing the Cambridge choker. This one (painfully thin) in 1982.

diana11-1982.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
And here arriving for an event in 1981 with Prince Charles. I think this was the first time she wore the choker. This was also the only other one I was able to find so far where she appears to possibly be wearing the Cambridge Earrings as well.

diana11-1981.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Diana wearing the choker in December 1982. This one is interesting to me because the dress is one of the ones she didn''t wear frequently & it''s sort of an odd combination with the emeralds.

diana12-1982.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Now a set of the most famous Cambridge Choker appearance - Diana wearing it as a headband in Australia in 1985.

dianaaustralia1985.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I like this one - it''s a rather unusual shot and gives a good look at the choker.

dianaaustralia1985a.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
And another - dancing with Charles.

dianaaustralia1985b.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This one gives a good look at the choker as well.

dianaaustralia1985c.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The most unusual of all the pictures I found is this one of Diana kissing Prince Philip. It looks to be from the late 1980''s. Diana is wearing a green velvet dress.

dianaphilipcambridgechoker.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Found some more photos of Princess Diana wearing her Prince of Wales Feathers diamond necklace. Here in December 1982 without the emerald drop.

diana12-2-82.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Again without the drop in New Zeland 1983.

diananewzeland1983.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Again no drop. I think this was a film premiere in 1982 or 83.

dianapowfeathers.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Diana wearing the necklace in 1983, tour of Australia. She also wears the Spencer Tiara and the QEII Order.

dianapowfeathersaustralia1983a.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I only found two occasions where she wore the POW Feathers necklace with the emerald drop. Here in Austria in 1986. Also her diamond and emerald drop earrings.

dianaaustria10-14-86.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
And here in the early 90''s which I think was also the last occasion that she wore the necklace at all. I don''t think she wore it again after the separation was announced.

dianapowfeatherswdrop.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Emeraldeyes - I know there are pictures out there of Camilla with her POW Feathers brooch. I''d also like to see any other royal ladies that had one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results