shape
carat
color
clarity

upgrading 1.56 ct RB, D, VS1, H&A. How would you spend your upgrade budget?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2008 2:36:48 AM
Author: diamondnut
thanks again for all your comments. i''m definitely taking your feedback to heart. before i found this website, i wouldn''t even entertain a non-D stone. After reading through alot of this website, I started toying with the idea of an E. Now after posting my thread and getting your thoughts, I''m seriously considering an E. Slowly but definitely making progress : ) I completely agree that I won''t be able to tell the difference between a D and an E so I KNOW that it''s more of a mental hurdle than anything else. I''m very stubborn that way : )

And I also completely agree that cut is the most important factor. To be honest, I don''t really think I have an eye for this. I''m not sure I can tell the difference between a well cut stone and a remarkably cut stone. I may be able to tell between an average cut stone and a remarkably cut stone. But this doesn''t mean I don''t want a remarkably cut stone. It just means I have to rely almost purely on the specs. So my question is this...

Assuming the specs for two stone are identical and ideal/excellent across the board with proportions of heart and arrow stones. Can one still be more fiery, brilliant, sparkly than the other?? Because at this point, you would have to rely on your eye and like I said, I don''t trust my own eye. Are there other specs that might help me or tests I should put the stone through??

Uhhh, this is bordering on stressful. I think the saying that people are actually more unhappy when they''re given too many choices is definitely true!!

Hi!
35.gif

I''m joining this thread a little late but your questions about whether your eyes are trained to notice the difference in cut qualities made me think to suggest that watching the Goodoldgold video tutorials and comparisons is a great way to ''train'' your eyes for what to look for when comparing stones - even when you''re comparing equally well cut stones. I posted a thread on my experience with this in December - I just thought I''d mention it because it really helped me alot.

Good luck!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I would have zero problems with either the D VS2 or the E VS1. To me that is virtually interchangeable.

I have an 1.29 E colored VS1 and I upgraded it to a 2.57 D, SI1. The new stone is utterly eyeclean from every angle and I am not a clarity junkie at all so I did not mind SI1. I cannot see a color difference between the E and D stones.

I have a G colored round in a pendant that is really, really well cut. Even so I can see a difference between that G color and my D color. I had an F on trial which I returned. The F stone was 2.25 and looked too small.
23.gif
So I took the 2.57 and it was just big enough.

You will get used to a 2.5 ct in no time at all and it will feel like a normal, average ring. Sad, but true. You will not feel uncomfortable wearing it in cities like HK or NY.

Enjoy your search!

susi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/27/2008 9:17:11 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/27/2008 2:36:48 AM
Author: diamondnut
Assuming the specs for two stone are identical and ideal/excellent across the board with proportions of heart and arrow stones. Can one still be more fiery, brilliant, sparkly than the other?? Because at this point, you would have to rely on your eye and like I said, I don''t trust my own eye. Are there other specs that might help me or tests I should put the stone through??
Yes, that''s why I suggested sticking to AGS0 graded stones. They''re graded for their light performance, so that takes a lot of the guesswork out. After that, then you do need to use your eyes (assuming you have several to choose from). Just get them in natural lighting, spend some time with them, see what your eyes like. Nothing wrong with that.
2.gif
Ellen, this is some of the best advice I''ve ever read on this board and tho I keep reading it over and over, it bears saying again and again.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I posted this on rocky talks but I thought I update this post as well...

The vendor just contacted me about an ''incredible'' 2.51ct RB E VS1 H&A. So I asked to look at the certificate (GIA). The certificate doesn''t mention that it''s a H&A. Do they not note this on the certificates anymore or is this an indication that it''s not a ''real'' H&A? I ask because the GIA certificates for my current stone and a pair of studs do note that they''re H&A...granted they''re 3-4 years old.

Also, here''re the specs. What do you all think? Are these proportions as ideal as they come?? Is this the one???

2.51 ct RB
8.75-8.80 x 5.38 mm
E
VS1
Cut grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Table: 55%
Depth: 61.3%
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Crown angle: 34.5 degrees
Pavillion angle: 40.8 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results