shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you doing for Valentine''s Day?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,
35.gif

I thought I would try to be proactive and get a jump start on Valentine's Day this year as it is only a month away. My FI is a man who rarely wants or needs anything that he doesn't go out and buy for himself, which leaves me at a loss of something unique to do for him on special occasions. I know some people don't look at V-Day as one, but we do, so I would again like to do something thoughtful for him for Valentine's Day (aside from his favorite home-cooked meal!) this year and am out of ideas...I feel like I've done many creative things so far and want to do something special again.

Last year for V-Day I did a photo album that chronicled our time back together and have continued adding to it throughout the past year. I also gave him a bowl full of beautiful agate wishing stones I chose for their specific wording and then I wrote out a letter to him explaining what each one meant to me, how it related to him and us, etc... To celebrate our engagement, I got him a Citizen eco-drive watch with an inscription on the back commemorating the date and for Christmas his "special" gift was an HD-DVD player & a bunch of his favorite DVD's in HD, etc... Now I am out of unique ideas and need some help, and I thought PS might be just the place to come for good ideas. I love to do things for him that he wouldn't normally think to do for himself, and he appreciates these gestures, so I would like to continue on with the creativity!

For a little background, he loves to read, do handyman stuff around the house and is a Captain for the local fire department, though he doesn't seem to care much about "Firefighter" stuff anymore. I thought about trying to put something together to go towards our wedding on Maui in July...I ordered the latest edition of the "Maui Revealed" book...any ideas/suggestions as to what I could include with it to make a unique gift? After trying to work on welcome bags for our guests in July, I feel like I am grasping at straws for stuff for him now that he hasn't already seen and would actually appreciate!

He also LOVES poker...he has his own table, his own beautiful clay chips, etc... I have heard some on here talk about a personalized "chip marker" but I don't really know what those are for, and I don't know if he would use it? Any men out there, please feel free to chime in here! I need your help! I also thought about trying to find a poker tournament going on in Tahoe or Reno that I could pay his entry fee in, which he could go to and then later we could go to a show or comedy club, but the tournaments can go on forever, which would leave me alone for most of the day, and if he wasn't done at the tourney, we might miss the show, etc, so I don't know if this is a viable option. Maybe just a weekend in Tahoe or something???

What does everyone think? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Harleigh! So really this thread should''ve been entitled "what to get my poker-lovin'' FI for V-Day...." LOL! Just kidding. Does your FI have a wooden box/card protector? Does he have an automatic card shuffler? I just googled "poker lovers gifts" and came up with those suggestions and thought I''d pass them along.

Does he have a big, snuggly bathrobe? I got my DH one of those (he hinted about one for a couple years) one Christmas and he loves it. It''s just a huge white terry cloth deal that he can sort of luxuriate in for 5 minutes out of the shower while he shaves or does whatever...but he really loves wearing it. Does your FI smoke cigars ever? Humidors or cigars are nice gifts, and typically those items go hand-in-hand with golf or poker. There are plenty of local places usually to find high quality cigars and all the "paraphanelia" so you could add that into his gift, plus a nice cutter or cigar carrying case.

How about....a brand new set of lingerie for your man? Not kidding! I''m not talking about sleazy satin/silk boxers with hearts all over them...I''m thinking more like a fresh set of high quality undershirts/tanks and boxers or briefs to match, maybe add in a lush bathrobe along with them if he doesn''t have one already or needs a replacement. It''s romantic, and I think men never want to ask for undies but they can certainly use them.

I love your idea of paying his entry fee into one of the poker tournaments, but you''re right, those things can go on indefinitely and it doesn''t make for a very couple-conducive gift. I like the personalized chip marker idea as well...google those words (personalized chip marker) and you will see what people are talking about. He might really love a lucky charm like that as a gift from you, so good thinking.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I thought for a second I wrote your post....

my SO is really into poker too...he has the table and the chips and the cards and all that...but one thing I can suggest is a pendant....no not a girly one....if you google poker pendants their are some that have little spades and hearts and whatnot in them....and they have actually diamond.

I think I might get one for SO for Vday as a good luck charm so when he heads to atlantic city next weekend for the poker tournament he can have a piece of me and a piece of good luck....

just a thought....oh and they make monogrammed cards too...that would be cool too!!!

I will keep thinking and see what I come up with.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who had poker chips made up as almost business cards - name and email on front, logo on back. If he plays a lot you can always go pick a "card protector" for him, something he can place on his hole cards while he isn''t holding them.

Or what about planning a Vegas trip during the World Series of Poker? If he''s never been, that is always a good time.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Oops! I was initially trying to do a poll seeing if anyone does anything for Valentine''s Day, and then I also wanted help with ideas for FI...I guess I''m just not quite back in the swing of things here yet!

Thanks for all of the ideas, ladies. He did mention needing slippers, so maybe I could incorporate a robe in with that, but I''m just not sure he''d appreciate it or not.

I have also looked at the card holders, but had also thought about doing one of those with our wedding date on it as something for a wedding gift.

Arghhh...what to get the man who has everything???

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t really celebrate it-we''ll go out for dinner but that''s about it. Oh yeah, and buy each other a slushy card
3.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Maui''s high elevation, dry climate, and freedom from light pollution offer virtually year-round observation of astronomical objects. Does he have a telescope?

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
How about a Full Tilt Poker hat? I *think* I might know where to get one of those...

31.gif

(I''m friends with some of the guys who started Full Tilt, so I can pretty much always get hats.)

This_Is_Amore

Rough_Rock
Has your FI ever gotten a professional massage? My BF hasn''t, and casually mentioned that he''d be interested in trying it... so his gift is a couples massage this year!
31.gif

If you''re feeling even naughtier, have you ever considered having coquettes taken? There''s a photographer local to me who will do coquettes (also called boudoir photos...) for $250 for a three hour photo shoot and album with 25 prints. They''re VERY classy- think of pictures in the style of the Victoria''s Secret catalog. Several of my friends have had them done as engagement/wedding presents for their FI/DHs; all of the women loved the experience, and ALL of the men loved the photos!
30.gif

HTH!

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
How about vintage handyman or wood working books? FI loves them, both he and his dad have quite a large collection. Does he want/need any powertools? What about one of those really nice tool storage cabinets?

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 3:45:28 PM
Author: EricaR
How about a Full Tilt Poker hat? I *think* I might know where to get one of those...

31.gif

(I''m friends with some of the guys who started Full Tilt, so I can pretty much always get hats.)

Hi Erica,

Now THAT he might actually be something he would like AND wear! However, I think he would just be so envious of anyone who actually knew the guys who started Full Tilt that he might not know what to with himself!

How''d you get so lucky???

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of the great ideas, ladies! Unfortunately, he is not into stargazing (definitely more my thing), he gets a weekly massage IN his own home (he even bought his own table so his gal doesn't have to lug hers into his house and/or disrupt his little nappy-poo when he falls asleep during!) What can I say...he's spoiled!

I just don't know about actually buying him something that will take up space...we are both trying to downsize the amount of stuff we have as there is no possible way all of our stuff will fit in one of our houses together within the next six months...that's why I was thinking of the poker thing, which takes up no room and he will always remember...

I'm of to clean and hopefully brainstorm some more ideas! Thanks again for all of your help!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hubby and are heading up to New York for dinner...and staying overnight! Should be fun. Hope the weather is not terrible though. He is not a gift giver typically on V day, thinks it is too commercial and feels like he gives things other times, so he hates to get sucked in. But dinner, flowers and cards are fine, he likes that.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 12:22:24 AM
Author: Harleigh

Date: 1/15/2008 3:45:28 PM
Author: EricaR

31.gif

Hi Erica,

Now THAT he might actually be something he would like AND wear! However, I think he would just be so envious of anyone who actually knew the guys who started Full Tilt that he might not know what to with himself!

How''d you get so lucky???
I had a friend who was married to a semi-pro poker player who was also one of the first programmers they had. My friend and her hubby have since split, but I''ve become much much better friends with the hubby than I am with my "friend."

Through them I''ve met a ton of the pro poker players. Most of them are super fantastic, sweet, intelligent guys.
1.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Harleigh,
I''m pretty sure I saw some poker glasses on www.redenvelope.com the other day. I know they''re having a sale so maybe you could get them reasonably.
Good luck!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Ah, DF, it sounds like your guy actually LIKES doing those kinds of things...mine is not quite so motivated, for V-day, birthdays, Christmas, etc...he is sort of a minimalist!
3.gif

Very cool Erica! He would love to have a friend like that...not to know him for his celebrity status, he would just love to play with a professional!

Thanks, dixie! I will go check those out...I know he has poker plates, but I don''t know about poker glasses!

Thank you again, ladies!

Read my next post to find out what I''ve decided to do...

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Here we go...

Okay, ladies, you have all been so very awesome with your ideas, and I thank you! I will keep them all in mind for our 2 year anniversary in May or a wedding gift in July...I''m sure I''ll be back for help for those then, too!
26.gif
(Erica, can I still get one of those ball caps???
31.gif
)

Well, I had an epiphany last night...I vaguely remembered hearing an ad on the radio yesterday morning for a Jo Dee Messina (country singer) concert coming to Reno next weekend. FI adores her, almost to the point of making me jealous, but since I know how much he loves me, I guess I''m okay with it! All of a sudden I thought, heck, this is something he loves, it takes up NO room in either of our houses, we can both enjoy it, AND, he can go play poker after the concert or the next day if he wants to! Woo hoo!

So, I called him up and asked him if he already had any plans next weekend (which since I didn''t make any, I was fairly safe in assuming he had none, but you never know!), and if not, could he not make any or take any OT shifts, etc... He of course asked why, and I said I had been wracking my brain trying to think of something creative for us to do for V-Day this year, and that I know it''s a little early, but what I wanted to do was too good of an opportunity to pass up and it was only available next Saturday or not at all, so of course he said yes!

I then kindly asked if he would like me to make reservations at our favorite restaurant for the actual Valentine''s Day since he screwed it up so badly last year (long story
38.gif
) and he said, "That''s a GREAT idea!" Now I have my treat for him taken care of AnD I''m guaranteed a fantastic meal on Valentine''s Day! I think I''m finally getting better at being a take-charge kinda gal!
9.gif

So, I called John Ascuaga''s Nugget, got a dinner and show package that includes an intimate table for two for the concert, reserved a great room and we are good to go! I think I will pack some nice clothes for him to wear that night, tell him to take some "play" money (indicating gambling, but I might not tell him there is poker involved!
28.gif
) and then on the way up, give him Jo Dee Messina''s Greatest Hits CD and see if he can figure out where it is we are going. We will leave here around 1 PM, check-in is at 3, dinner at 5:45, seating at 7 and then the concert starts at 8 PM. I figure we''ll be done early enough in the evening for him to do a little gambling and still make a decent bedtime, too. He''s been really sick and I won''t have seen him for 3 weeks by then, so hopefully he''s feeling better by Saturday! It''s going to be a pricey weekend, but sooo worth it for the memories it will bring!

What do you all think?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2008 1:14:13 AM
Author: Harleigh
Here we go...

Okay, ladies, you have all been so very awesome with your ideas, and I thank you! I will keep them all in mind for our 2 year anniversary in May or a wedding gift in July...I''m sure I''ll be back for help for those then, too!
26.gif
(Erica, can I still get one of those ball caps???
31.gif
)

Well, I had an epiphany last night...I vaguely remembered hearing an ad on the radio yesterday morning for a Jo Dee Messina (country singer) concert coming to Reno next weekend. FI adores her, almost to the point of making me jealous, but since I know how much he loves me, I guess I''m okay with it! All of a sudden I thought, heck, this is something he loves, it takes up NO room in either of our houses, we can both enjoy it, AND, he can go play poker after the concert or the next day if he wants to! Woo hoo!

So, I called him up and asked him if he already had any plans next weekend (which since I didn''t make any, I was fairly safe in assuming he had none, but you never know!), and if not, could he not make any or take any OT shifts, etc... He of course asked why, and I said I had been wracking my brain trying to think of something creative for us to do for V-Day this year, and that I know it''s a little early, but what I wanted to do was too good of an opportunity to pass up and it was only available next Saturday or not at all, so of course he said yes!

I then kindly asked if he would like me to make reservations at our favorite restaurant for the actual Valentine''s Day since he screwed it up so badly last year (long story
38.gif
) and he said, ''That''s a GREAT idea!'' Now I have my treat for him taken care of AnD I''m guaranteed a fantastic meal on Valentine''s Day! I think I''m finally getting better at being a take-charge kinda gal!
9.gif

So, I called John Ascuaga''s Nugget, got a dinner and show package that includes an intimate table for two for the concert, reserved a great room and we are good to go! I think I will pack some nice clothes for him to wear that night, tell him to take some ''play'' money (indicating gambling, but I might not tell him there is poker involved!
28.gif
) and then on the way up, give him Jo Dee Messina''s Greatest Hits CD and see if he can figure out where it is we are going. We will leave here around 1 PM, check-in is at 3, dinner at 5:45, seating at 7 and then the concert starts at 8 PM. I figure we''ll be done early enough in the evening for him to do a little gambling and still make a decent bedtime, too. He''s been really sick and I won''t have seen him for 3 weeks by then, so hopefully he''s feeling better by Saturday! It''s going to be a pricey weekend, but sooo worth it for the memories it will bring!

What do you all think?
First off, I''m familiar with JDM, and I''ve seen pics of you....let me assure you, you''re way cuter than she is, LOL!!!!!!
36.gif
She''s a great country artist, though, I love her music. Your gift is going to be wonderful, I love how you''re going to "hint" to him with the CD on the way out, that''s such a cool idea.

The rundown of everything else for the evening sounds fab, you came up with a great, original, and meaningful gift and I''m 110% sure he will love it, and fall in love even more deeply with you for all your thoughtfulness and attention! Have so much fun, sounds like you''ve planned a Valentine''s Day to remember for the rest of your lives!!!!
36.gif
35.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thanks Monnie! You''re so sweet! I really hope he does like everything!

Now I just have to find that dang CD! It''s a lot harder to find than I thought, and since it''s NEXT weekend, I can''t really order it online. I will be hunting for it again this weekend!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
All of the Full Tilt guys are in Australia right now for some big tournament. I think my friend is back week after next so I''ll harass him about a hat then.
10.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen this site? http://www.pokerguard.com/all-poker-card-protectors-c-21.html

FI & I are both massive poker players (full size table, the works...
20.gif
). I am getting him one of these at some point...

For valentines - last year I bought him sterling silver collar stiffeners with his name engraved on them. He wears formal shirts for work and was forever breaking the plastic ones.

This year I have bought him a solid gold tie clasp - he has a plated one and I hate it, the plate is wearing off and it looks horrible!

We don't celebrate Valentines, as it's basically overpriced commercial nonsense. I prefer a man who is romantic when he feels like it - not because he's told he has to be that day.

Instead it's what one of my friends calls our 'semiversary', we will have been together for 3 and a half years exactly this year. So we celebrate our half years instead.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link, Pandora! Someone (it may have been you, actually!) had posted that link before and I couldn''t find it again! I am thinking about getting the fire dept. one or maybe one to put our wedding date on to commemorate the day.

Thank you!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
As many of you who have been tuning in know, I was trying to surprise Rusty with no info about our plans for this weekend, but with the weather going directly downhill as Saturday looms closer, I had to let him know Monday that we are now going to need to take his truck for our little getaway...
7.gif

Today I had to break down and ask if he had chains for said truck as the weather continues to rage on...
32.gif

He has already figured out there may be gambling involved due to the possible snowy location and asked if he might get a little poker playing in, so I told him there *may* be a poker room nearby but that I''m not quite sure...
31.gif

Hopefully he has been deafer than a doornail while listening to the radio this week and hasn''t figured out where we''re going yet...he just knows Reno or Tahoe, but I''m sure he can figure out it''s Reno since he''s coming to my house to pick me up. If we were going to Tahoe, I would''ve gone to his house to go up Hwy 50, so his deducting skills need not be great at this point!
3.gif

To top it all off, I forgot to look for the Jo Dee Messina CD I was going to pick up for him at the store I specifically went to get it at today to give him on the ride there...ugh! I guess I''ll try for that again tomorrow!
6.gif

Keep your fingers crossed that I find the CD and the snow SLOWS its butt on down before Saturday!!!
25.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fingers crossed for you Harleigh!!! It''s hard enough to keep a surprise from your guy, too bad your weather isn''t cooperating. I hope you are able to find the CD!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2008 2:12:25 AM
Author: monarch64
fingers crossed for you Harleigh!!! It''s hard enough to keep a surprise from your guy, too bad your weather isn''t cooperating. I hope you are able to find the CD!
Thanks, monnie! I have been glued to the news and weather channel, but neither seem to be able to make up their minds, so I''m just going to pray it all works out in our favor. We are both in need of some together time away from all of the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives!

Good news is, I didn''t find her new CD as I figured out it''s not out yet, but I did find her Greatest Hits with 16 songs on it for $6.88 at Wal-Mart! (Good thing Rusty loves me for being so frugal, huh?)

Thank you for the well wishes! I''m going to go try to sprinkle some PS Weather Fairy Dust outside in the morning and see where that gets me!

Have a great night!

tickintime

Rough_Rock
So, I don''t think this was restricted to one sex or poker, so I am going to add my 2cents! This will be our first Valentine''s Day and given that I love spoiling her, I may be going over board...

I am going to be leaving this with the restaurant before we get there with a single rose in a clear vase. I will tell them to have this around the vase as though it was a decoration.

The restaurant of choice is Moshulu Unless someone can think of somewhere else
9.gif
9.gif
. We will be staying at Sofitel.

Moshulu

Sofitel

IMG_1320-01.jpg

tickintime

Rough_Rock
Another angle of her V-day present. I love this bangle!!

IMG_1321-01.jpg

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 9:50:42 AM
Author: tickintime
Another angle of her V-day present. I love this bangle!!
Hi tickintime! Thanks for chiming in!

I love it! She is one very lucky girl! What are the specs on it?

Great idea! Now if I could just convince Rusty that my e-ring is NOT the last piece of jewelry he ever has to buy, we''ll be in business! I''m going to try to go with the angle that it takes up very little space, and therefore would be the perfect gift on every occasion! Hee hee hee!

Update on weather...still storming here!
38.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
BF and I are spending next weekend in Galveston at the San Luis Hotel. My parents stayed there in their 5th anniversary(I think). And we are going to go to this great restaurant that my parents found when they were there, and we all ate at this p-st summer when my parents came down to visit.

I''m so excited. He ever mentioned walking along the beach, to and from the hotel. What guy does that?!?!?! LOL
30.gif

tickintime

Rough_Rock
Well, I wasn't really buying it for the stone, so I know little. It is a .22ct I would imagine SI1-2, H-J...maybe, if I am lucky
40.gif

Her take on bracelets is that she likes jewelry with a single focus point (so NO tennis bracelets), and most diamond with some gold seperating them also don't have a single focal point, so I thought this was a unique take on bangles. I go like the bangles with multiple diamonds such as WF!!
9.gif
But I LOVE this design and definitely paid dearly for it. No, I don't feel as though I got a good deal, but she is worth every penny!

Yet another shot...Yes I know I need to clean.

I hope the weather works out for you...anyone know where Harleigh can get tires with spikes?

Spiked Tires
1.gif

IMG_1323-01 11-36-03.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results