shape
carat
color
clarity

setting dilemma! please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I THOUGHT I had found the perfect setting , and now I am so dissapointed. It won''t work for an Asscher like I thought! I never noticed the shapes listed for it did not include Asscher (duh, I know, but I used to want a round!). I like the basket, the taper, and the fact that the prongs aren''t the typical solitaire angular ones. It is classic, and not what I see in the maul stores. I also want a cheaper setting, since we are working with a seriously limited budget and the Asscher would be pushing it as is. I want more $$ for the stone, and this setting fit the bill, and I am heartbroken
7.gif

Any ideas where I could find something similar for an Asscher? I have seen ECs basket-set, so I dont think it is impossible. Am I better off looking locally? TIA!!

setting

sera

Ideal_Rock
Have you contacted James Allen to see if an Asscher would work in it? The description does say, "The diamond will sit in a wire basket that is made to accommodate the diamond of your dreams." The basket is not just one stock basket; it is made to fit a round or various proportioned radiants, etc.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
You are right, I totally should. At first I didn't want to, because I am just giving all this to BF and it still may be awhile before he is at the buying stage. Thanks!

ETA: What do you guys think of this or this? Still the prongs I dont like, but maybe the prongs aren't as noticable with sidestones? Would these look good with Asschers? BFs birthstone is sapphire, so I like the blue. Thoughts?

sera

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''ve seen an Asscher set with sapphires, but I do know that I love sapphires with step cuts.

I love pear sides, but as sides to a square stone they wouldn''t sit flush against it (that would bother me, personally).

The trillians would sit flush... I think that would be pretty, but I only have my imagination (and the illustration) to go on since I''ve never seen anything similar... it could be one of those things that sounds good but when seen isn''t so great. It looks nice in the illustration, but I''ve found those are often not true-to-life... sometimes they look very different in photos... especially in non-pro photos... maybe post something in SMTR thread asking to see Asschers with sapphire sides?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your help Sera! I thought that about the pears also, but NewEnglandLady''s is quite possibly my favorite on PS. It would be different with the sapphires though. I have not seen Asschers with sapphires either, but I think I will like it. Most likely in a few years I will be upgrading the setting to a Leon with diamond traps or bullets. So this is semi-temporary, you could say. Just a slightly different, inexpensive option. Other opinions? Sera what kind of setting is yours? I think yours is from GOG? I will probably tell him to go through them, at least for the stone. Doing both there would be so much easier!

sera

Ideal_Rock
My setting is just a temp, white gold 3mm band. It came to GOG already set, which completely solved my problem of wanting a ring now but not wanting to spend a couple hundred on a temp setting.

I''m in the (LONG) process of picking a setting. I spoke with Maytal Hannah yesterday about making a bezel, delicate halo with step cut trap sides and a very slight split shank. That is what I''m leaning towards... but the other details (engraving or no, full eternity or no, etc) I still have to decide. I love Leon''s rings, but want to explore my options with local designers. I don''t have a picture of the setting because I have not seen one just like it (which is a plus to me!).

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Sera- Do you have any side shots of your ering? I checked your thread but didn''t see any. I like the way the prongs look from the top, but can''t tell much. Thanks!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Have you called James Allen and inquired about having this setting custom made to fit an asscher? Seems relatively feasible....

eta: I see that Sera has the same idea that I had...I would talk to JA and find out what they can do....dont jump to any conclusions....

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed this morning, will let you guys know what they said when I hear back. Thanks!

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the setting with the sapphire trillions. As far as the first one posted, if I''m not mistaken the setting can accomodate a radiant, correct? My thinking is that radiants come in square shapes, and they have clipped corners (kind of like an asscher), so I don''t see why JA couldn''t make this setting for your asscher. Good luck!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2008 4:46:49 PM
Author: Miscka
Sera- Do you have any side shots of your ering? I checked your thread but didn''t see any. I like the way the prongs look from the top, but can''t tell much. Thanks!

Someone else had asked for a side view in my
SMTR thread. Like I said, it''s a temp... I''m not a plain band kinda girl. Though, for a plain band it is nice.

PoH_profile.w.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results