shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
With a week''s vacation ahead of me, I''m looking forward to spending lots of time curling up with a good book. What are you reading or have just finished and would recommend? I''m just about to begin "Baby Proof," and just saw that Sophie Kinsella has a new book out, "Remember Me?," which I''ll also check out. I also noticed "T is for Trespass," Sue Grafton''s new book at the bookstore today. It looks like I''ll have to run back there after Christmas.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I am more about the personal development/creating wealth books [since that is my field!]. If you are at all oriented in that direction I would recommend [to start]:

Randy Gage - Why You''re Dumb, Sick and Broke [and how to become smart, healthy and rich]
Joe Vitale - The Attractor Factor
Robert Kiyosaki - Rich Dad Poor Dad [and subsequent titles] - pay particular attention to the cash flow quadrant
Harv Ecker - Secrets of the Millionaire mind
Kiyosaki and Trump - Why We Want You to Be Rich
Donald Trump - Think Big and Kick Ass
Jerry & Esther Hicks - The Law of Attraction
Jerry & Esther Hicks - The Astonishing Power of Emotions

And there are lots more. I don''t want to inundate you but this type of reading has been instrumental in getting me to where I am.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I bet I could use some wealth in my life. It couldn''t hurt to check some of those titles out. Thanks Blu!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Fiction
I recently finished Empire Falls by Richard Russo (loved it)
I am 1/2 way through Nobody''s Fool by Richard Russo (really enjoying it)
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn is on my nightstand waiting to be opened (I think I''m less patient than the book for me to get started)

Non-fiction
I recently finished Autisn Spectrum Disorders by Chantal Sicile-Kira (a great resource, not a ton of specific information)
I just started Overcoming Autism by Lynn Kern Koegel, PhD and Claire LaZebnik (interesting format, not far enough into it to decide)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Recently, I finished "the Other Boleyn Girl," by Philippa Gregory, which was about Anne Boleyn & Mary Boleyn and their relationship to King Henry VIII. It was light entertaining reading, but a bit long and parts of it seemed to drag inbetween segments of drama and excitement. I''m not sure if it''s worth reading. . . the movie is coming out soon!

I LOVE fiction, but also read many books about mesoamerica and also metaphysics! After reading the above book, however, I''ve expanded my interests and just picked up "the six wives of king henry the VIII," by Alison Weir.

(There is a stack of about 10 books next to my bed, five of which I''m also reading. . . slowly getting through some books about Mesoamerican Pyramids.)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love this thread!

I''m reading:

Proust and the Squid
The Golden Compass
Native Son
(teaching it next term, must reread it!)

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2007 5:17:18 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Oh, I bet I could use some wealth in my life. It couldn''t hurt to check some of those titles out. Thanks Blu!

We can talk further at the Boston get together! There is a lot that can be accomplished.
9.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
BTW, can anybody tell that my Christmas avatar is a unicorn? It doesn''t look too visible to me but I know what it is so I can''t tell!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Just finished:

The Stand

Just started:

''salem''s lot

Both by Stephen King.

[Cute topic]

xmastree.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2007 5:57:34 PM
Author: Steel
Just finished:

The Stand

Just started:

''salem''s lot

Both by Stephen King.

[Cute topic]
Those are 2 of my all-time favourite books!
11.gif
Of course, I read them when they were just published back in the 70''s and 1980 I believe? Horror is my guilty pleasure, although it''s very hard to find good authors these days.

I''m finding "The Other Boleyn Girl" to be rather dull too. Somewhere in the house I''ve misplaced "The Road", which I hear was a good book. (Can''t believe it''s been missing since August apparently!)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2007 6:32:59 PM
Author: lyra

Just finished:

The Stand

Just started:

'salem's lot

Both by Stephen King.

[Cute topic]
11.gif
Of course, I read them when they were just published back in the 70's and 1980 I believe? Horror is my guilty pleasure, although it's very hard to find good authors these days.

I'm finding 'The Other Boleyn Girl' to be rather dull too. Somewhere in the house I've misplaced 'The Road', which I hear was a good book. (Can't believe it's been missing since August apparently!)

Yeah!

Nobody I know likes SK! It is so very sad

39.gif
. I visit a forum which chats about the links he makes between books and Love it. I can't wait to read all the links then re read the books and say - oh yeah that is from there. Like in Delores Clarbourne, Delores thinks about the daughter (now wife) who was abused by her daddy during the eclipse. When I first read DC I hadn't read Gerald's Game so I missed the link.
36.gif

I cried during the stand, with M-O-O-N (Tom) and the doggie (Kojak) coming back and getting a wabbit and water for Stu! I sobbed! I think that was the best book I have EVER read. I wish I could talk to somebody about it, I tried to tell DH but he is not a book person at all and nobody else cares 'cause then think SK is all about horror, but it is not just horror.

Oh oh, I loved loved The Cell, it was so gory to start but it became so gripping! I admit I turned off my phone unless I needed to make a call!

I have to start the 'real series' soon : The Dark Tower. But they cost so much! Between €12 and €25 per book! Now I gauge my books value bu the amount of cm's and some of them don't seem worth it! But I know they will be in the end!

I also bought Liseys story but didn't get "into it" so I promise I will be back to it in the New Year!

[HIJACK OVER
17.gif
]

sorry to hijack.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2007 4:54:52 PM
Author:zoebartlett
With a week's vacation ahead of me, I'm looking forward to spending lots of time curling up with a good book. What are you reading or have just finished and would recommend? I'm just about to begin 'Baby Proof,' and just saw that Sophie Kinsella has a new book out, 'Remember Me?,' which I'll also check out. I also noticed 'T is for Trespass,' Sue Grafton's new book at the bookstore today. It looks like I'll have to run back there after Christmas.
I finished reading T is for Trespass last night, wow, that is her best book! It truly gave me chills; I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about it.

Date: 12/23/2007 5:53:04 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
BTW, can anybody tell that my Christmas avatar is a unicorn? It doesn't look too visible to me but I know what it is so I can't tell!
Yes
1.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I am an artist by trade but a science nut at heart.

I just started Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes by Alex Vilenkin.
I really want to get The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. Been into non-fiction more lately, and it got excellent reviews.
34.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock

Just finished:

The Stand

Just started:

''salem''s lot

Both by Stephen King.

[Cute topic]
11.gif
Of course, I read them when they were just published back in the 70''s and 1980 I believe? Horror is my guilty pleasure, although it''s very hard to find good authors these days.

I''m finding ''The Other Boleyn Girl'' to be rather dull too. Somewhere in the house I''ve misplaced ''The Road'', which I hear was a good book. (Can''t believe it''s been missing since August apparently!)
Stephen King is my favorite. But the Dark Tower series is one of the best stories ever written. Ever. I hope you girls have read it.
4.gif

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/23/2007 6:49:36 PM

Just finished:

The Stand

Just started:

''salem''s lot

Both by Stephen King.

[Cute topic]
11.gif

I''m finding ''The Other Boleyn Girl'' to be rather dull too. Somewhere in the house I''ve misplaced ''The Road'', which I hear was a good book. (Can''t believe it''s been missing since August apparently!)

Yeah!

Nobody I know likes SK! It is so very sad

39.gif
. I visit a forum which chats about the links he makes between books and Love it. I can''t wait to read all the links then re read the books and say - oh yeah that is from there. Like in Delores Clarbourne, Delores thinks about the daughter (now wife) who was abused by her daddy during the eclipse. When I first read DC I hadn''t read Gerald''s Game so I missed the link.
36.gif

I cried during the stand, with M-O-O-N (Tom) and the doggie (Kojak) coming back and getting a wabbit and water for Stu! I sobbed! I think that was the best book I have EVER read. I wish I could talk to somebody about it, I tried to tell DH but he is not a book person at all and nobody else cares ''cause then think SK is all about horror, but it is not just horror.

Oh oh, I loved loved The Cell, it was so gory to start but it became so gripping! I admit I turned off my phone unless I needed to make a call!

I have to start the ''real series'' soon : The Dark Tower. But they cost so much! Between €12 and €25 per book! Now I gauge my books value bu the amount of cm''s and some of them don''t seem worth it! But I know they will be in the end!

I also bought Liseys story but didn''t get ''into it'' so I promise I will be back to it in the New Year!

[HIJACK OVER
17.gif
]
STEEL! For goodness sake! Library! Do I have to lend them to you?!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2007 7:53:55 PM
Author: tberube

Just finished:

The Stand

Just started:

''salem''s lot

Both by Stephen King.

[Cute topic]
11.gif

Stephen King is my favorite. But the Dark Tower series is one of the best stories ever written. Ever. I hope you girls have read it.
4.gif
Eep, didn''t mean to start a thread-jacking, sorry. Yes, The DT series was wonderful. I read that from published date too, which meant *years* of waiting for next books to come out, and yes, I even loved the much hated ending. It made perfect sense to someone who had been there with SK all along. I haven''t loved or even liked every single SK book, but I''ve read them anyway.

Steel, I wish I could lend you my books. One of my daughters reads some, but lacks the time and dedication to commit to my favourite authors. Have you tried Simon Clark, Bentley Little, Brian Keene, Douglas Clegg, Graham Masterton? Those authors have some really good books out. I especially like Clark and have a few signed books. I also have read all of Dean Koontz''s books since the 70''s to present. He''s not horror, but speculative fiction. Gah. You''ve got me started! Meanwhile I''m waiting for more books from Amazon...
31.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m actually reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the millionth time. I was watching some movie with Sandra Bullock in it last week where she plays Harper Lee and some other actor plays Truman Capote...I never knew that Dill in To Kill a Mockingbird was Truman Capote!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2007 8:57:44 PM
Author: monarch64
I''m actually reading To Kill a Mockingbird for the millionth time. I was watching some movie with Sandra Bullock in it last week where she plays Harper Lee and some other actor plays Truman Capote...I never knew that Dill in To Kill a Mockingbird was Truman Capote!
One of my all time favorites, Monarch! Enjoy. Scout is such a great character (but aren''t they all!).

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I am reading At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks and another book by Jennifer Weiner which I cannot remember the title to!
emembarrassed.gif

I''m almost done with At First Sight and so far it''s a great book. I think I''ll read the Notebook by him next since the movie made me cry like a baby!
9.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
over break---

Nagib Marfouz's Egyptian epic trilogy (I've wanted to read this for so long, very excited) Sugar Street, Palace Walk, Palace of Desire.

Borges, collected shorts (won't read the whole thing, but will pick and choose)

couple theory books, The Translation Zone, On Late Style (Said). I
30.gif
Edward Said. I so wish he were still alive.

ETA: I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dark Tower!!!! I have the whole set, and his book On Writing is great too.

A book I want to read but haven't bought yet it "The Stillborn God" by Mark Lila, about secularism, seperation of church and state, and the west, and Farewell to Alms, a controversial take on the evolution of middle class values and economics in early modern England.

K a little gunslinger love....

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

*swoon*

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE SK's Dark Tower series. Sadly, I was reading it in 'real time' (ie. as he was writing them) and so many years passed between some of those books that I stopped reading them. I was glad to see that he FINALLY got back on that wagon and wrote a few of those books in rapid succession, but I'm at the point where I'd completely have to start over and begin rereading from the beginning. So I will....at some point, but I'm not ready to make that commitment again just yet.

I just finished 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger. I really liked it, it was a great read.

I'm debating starting 'The Poe Shadow' by Matthew Pearl, a mystery novel surrounding the death of Edgar Allen Poe.

At some point I should finish reading 'Lord of the Rings.' I've had a bookmark halfway through that thing for YEARS.
20.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Just finished: bitter is the new black by jen lancaster, LOVED IT and also the sequel
Someone mentioned Jennifer Weiner and Emily Giffin - I love them both
I am currently reading The Tipping Point - very interesting but slower than most books I read (I blitz through fiction)
Browsed in the bookstore today: Smotherhood by Amanda Lamb, Sick Girl by .... Amy Silverstein? very interesting memoir
I am really getting into memoirs lately - so many people have such interesting stories!
looking forward to reading: the new Patricia Cornwell - I love her books!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Every few years at Christmas time, I re-read Catcher in the Rye for the umpteenth time and each time, I love it as much if not more, than the first time I read it many years ago...

I''ve been into Jasper Fforde''s series about the "literary detective" Thursday Next. It''s a very cleverly written series if you like writers who play with the written word and it''s meanings. I also love reading Italo Calvino this time of year...preferably in front of a fire...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/24/2007 12:57:52 AM
Author: FireGoddess
I LOVE SK''s Dark Tower series. Sadly, I was reading it in ''real time'' (ie. as he was writing them) and so many years passed between some of those books that I stopped reading them. I was glad to see that he FINALLY got back on that wagon and wrote a few of those books in rapid succession, but I''m at the point where I''d completely have to start over and begin rereading from the beginning. So I will....at some point, but I''m not ready to make that commitment again just yet.

I just finished ''The Time Traveler''s Wife'' by Audrey Niffenegger. I really liked it, it was a great read.

I''m debating starting ''The Poe Shadow'' by Matthew Pearl, a mystery novel surrounding the death of Edgar Allen Poe.

At some point I should finish reading ''Lord of the Rings.'' I''ve had a bookmark halfway through that thing for YEARS.
20.gif
FG, I feel that the only way to get through any J.R.R. Tolkien book is by having someone read it to you, hee hee. My mother read us his works when my brother and I were maybe 4 and 8, and on...and even then I was scared beyond belief. I digress..I wanted to tell you to have your DH read it to you if possible, JRRT''s works are so much better when they''re sort of fed to you in chapters! Sometimes DH and I read to each other, there is something so comforting and just "nice" about being read to even when you''re a grown-up!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2007 5:53:04 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
BTW, can anybody tell that my Christmas avatar is a unicorn? It doesn''t look too visible to me but I know what it is so I can''t tell!
Nope, not until now. Sorry! I thought it was silver garland or icicles. But now that you mention it, I can see it...sort of.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Steel and Lyra, I''m not a fan of horror but would Dean Koontz''s books be ones you''d read? I''ve read one or two and they were too scary for me.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I used to love all of Sue Grafton''s books but I haven''t read one in a very, very long time. Should I go back to the middle of the alphabet where I left off and read them sequentially?

sputat

Rough_Rock
I''m reading DELUXE: How Luxury Lost Its Luster by Dana Thomas for the nth time since I got it.

A good read about the behind-the-scenes of the luxury fashion industry today. Made me rethink about the IT bag phenomenon. Haven''t bought a Louis for keeps since.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
I am reading "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold - it's fabulous and really well written! I just finished "Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood" by Koren Zailckas. This book is a memoir and more or less a cautionary tale about alcoholism. It's interesting to read someone else's accounts of and insights into the same drunken stumbles I made countless times in college, etc.

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides- it''s one of the best books I''ve read in a long while. I opened it without knowing a thing about it so the storyline initially took me by surprise, but it''s so beautifully written

I''m currently reading Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy. It''s a memoir by a girl who had a horridly disfiguring surgery and Ewing''s sarcoma resulting in losing most of her jaw. It''s another very well written book- and only 250 or so pages, a welcome shorter read after the 500+ of Middlesex

Monarch- both In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and To Kill a Mockingbird are on my to be read list- I didn''t know Truman Capote was in the book either- I never realized their friendship until seeing the movie Capote

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results