shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Old Pocket Watch valuation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Cheers!

My sister has a Vacheron & Constantin 18K Gold pocket watch from 1897 that she needs to figure out the valuation of. Do appraisers typically do watches, or is there a source where we could look up an approximate value? I think it runs fine. She plans to take it in for cleaning and servicing and a general check up.

Any help is appreciated!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet it can be appraised. I would Dave Atlas or Neil a call. Sounds like a gorgeous watch!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i have a complete price guide to watches 2002 edition. it has pocket and wrist watches. values`are given for avg, ex-fn and mint conditions. if she doesn''t need a formal appraisal a current edition may help.the book has over 1,100 pages so it has a lot of info. vacheron & constantin are included.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Crown1 and Skippy. I''ll check out the latest version of the Price Guide first. I hope they have it at the local library so that I dont have to wait for ordering it during the Christmas crush. If that isn''t enough information for what she needs, I''ll contact one of our "local" appraisers. I just didn''t know if watches were part of the normal areas they worked in or not.

If anyone else knows anything about this type of watch, I''m interested in learning about it. It''s peaked my interest. My sister doesn''t know much about it, but the fact that it is from 1897 is pretty interesting. It''s a beautiful watch.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
lop,
V & C creates very fine time pieces.Its considered by collecters to be one of the best made.I would trust the appraisal to someone that specializes in high end watches and who''s research and valueations are not based on just gold weight but understands antique mechanical movements and the watch collectors market as well.It should be cleaned by a professional who has worked on mechanical movements.If this were my timepiece I would contact V & G and talk with them directly about cleaning and appraisal services.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks jewelerman,

That''s great advice. This is an area I know nothing about and I think my sister is similar. I''ll try to contact V&C.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i think i bought my copy at borders. hth.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks crown1, I''ll go by there today.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
lop, check out www.timezone.com. It's a time piece lover's forum and there's a section specifically for lover's of V&C. They can steer you towards a knowledgeable antique watch appraiser. They're out there. I know a guy here in San Diego but he's starting a new business and is difficult to reach. If you end up really needing someone let me know and I'll get his contact info for you.

ETA: My guy is a dealer too so he's not really an "independent appraiser" which is why I think you should check with the Timezone people as see if they can find someone for you.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Surfgirl. This is a good source. I''ll send it off to my sister and see if she can get ahold of someone who can help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results