shape
carat
color
clarity

Christmas vs. New Years

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AeroSKI5150

Rough_Rock
Hi all! What a great forum that I''ve just discovered over these last few weeks while seriously educating myself about diamonds and everything there is to know about engagement rings. I see that I may be in the minority here as a guy, but that''s OK, really nice to get some real female perspectives on things anyway!

In any case, just looking for some general feedback from those who may have had similar thoughts - proposing on Christmas versus New Year''s ? I am leaning towards New Years (eve at the stroke of midnight type of thing, hopefully).

Any thoughts on this timing? Thanks!

kinetics

Rough_Rock
I would shoot for something closer to New Years instead of Christmas. Christmas is a time for the family and you dont want to steal the thunder, you want it to be special for her. I would go for New Years somewhere around fireworks. I think that would make a great picture.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a VERY personal thing, and depends a lot on your girlfriend (have you gotten any hints?).

However, if you''re asking about proposing ON Christmas vs. ON New Year''s (Eve?), I''d vote VERY STRONGLY for New Year''s Eve. Christmas day (as opposed to -eve, or sometime closely before) can be a recipe for awkwardness if you''ll be spending the holiday with family. I would not like to be proposed to in front of my family! That is a personal, private experience. Then again, every girl is different--some would eat it up.

So that wasn''t much help, I suppose, but if you''ve gotten any hints from HER on what she wants, just go with your best instinct.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 12:46:27 PM
Author:AeroSKI5150
Hi all! What a great forum that I''ve just discovered over these last few weeks while seriously educating myself about diamonds and everything there is to know about engagement rings. I see that I may be in the minority here as a guy, but that''s OK, really nice to get some real female perspectives on things anyway!

In any case, just looking for some general feedback from those who may have had similar thoughts - proposing on Christmas versus New Year''s ? I am leaning towards New Years (eve at the stroke of midnight type of thing, hopefully).

Any thoughts on this timing? Thanks!
I used to be a ''no holiday proposal'' girl - I thought it was cheesy and cliched.

Until I was ''close'' and Christmas went by. And I thought about how nice it would be to have been asked to marry the perfect person and then having all my family around to celebrate!!

I too am a private person, and wouldnt want it in front of everyone, but to share a private moment, with just the two of you, surrounded by a twinkling christmas tree, with a fire roaring, feeling all cozy...just sounds so romantic now!! And then to have all of the family around to celebrate AND time off of work to enjoy it - sounds like a winner to me :)

I also am not a big NYE fan sothat may taint my answer. PLUS dinner etc will be uber expensive on that night, and you''ll have to go right back to work!!

Just my thoughts - either way she will be thrilled!!!

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I personally vote for Christmas, especially if you are taking any time off work. I wouldn''t want to go back to work right away. I think I''d like to enjoy it with my SO for awhile.

I also used to think that I would hate a holiday proposal but now that we are going on five years...any day would be great for me.

I imagine my bf proposing before we go out to his parents house for Christmas so that I can celebrate with him and them. So, I vote for Christmas.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i think it depends on whether you both would want to celebrate just the two of you or with family. if you or your SO are close to your family it would be nice to do it before xmas so that you can celebrate with family but not steal the thunder of xmas

my FI proposed this thanksgiving before we were to meet up with my family - we were in LA and some of his family were there and my parents and some other relatives as well. it was really nice to share the moment with my family and his. i'm glad he did it that way.

new year's is nice too but it will be a different type of celebration with a different feel. either way - she will be thrilled!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she will see family during the holidays, by all means propose before Christmas! She''ll love showing her ring to her family and friends and it will make the holidays all the more special. I think New Year''s Eve is too obvious. I''d let her enjoy the ring throughout the holidays rather than get it at the very end. I think if I was hoping for a proposal, I''d be very disappointed if Christmas passed with nothing.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I would go for New Year''s. It seems more personal to me.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Emeraldlover,

Do you have a Sphinx? I''ve never known anyone who had one.

I vote for Christmas. (alone) Seems more special and romantic to me.

bam2k

Rough_Rock
Hi Aero,

This is a very exciting problem to have! I vote for Christmas Eve or an opportunity to make it personal or private. The holidays can be filled with such stress and anticipation. I think that sharing your Engagement with loved ones on Christmas could make it super special.

Please give us more details on the holidays...what are the plans for X-mas and New Year''s Eve so far? Does your girlfriend know the engagement is coming soon?

Best of Luck,
Bam2K

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Emeraldlover,

Thanks for the link. I never saw that thread back in August. Your cat is adorable! My husband and I sometimes go to cat shows and I don''t think we''ve ever seen a Sphinx there. I didn''t realize their skin is oily. I''ve never had to bathe a cat except for a couple times when our Balinese (long fur) got some yucky stuff (I''ll spare you the details) on the fur of his back legs. He didn''t like even the partial bath I gave him.

I''ll also say sorry for the threadjack.

AeroSKI5150

Rough_Rock
>Please give us more details on the holidays...what are the plans for X-mas and New Year''s Eve so far? Does your girlfriend know the engagement is coming soon?

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I appreciate all the feedback and ideas! As I mentioned, I am leaning towards New Year''s Eve in order to avoid the general "hectic" nature of Xmas, even though we expect it to be a reasonably quiet one together at home.... for some reason I have this vision of kicking off 2008 with the proposal I guess. My FI-to-be has to work on 12/31 and possibly even overtime
7.gif
so I''ve avoided making any extensive plans... I was all set to do a romantic getaway to NYC or something but I think we''ll keep it simple with candlelit dinner @ home, champagne, etc... After many months and weeks of research, just the other day I put some $$ on a HoF Identity 3 stone Dream cut that had caught my attention a while back and no matter what else I looked at, I kept coming back to. So, we''ll see how she likes it :) They only have a white gold right now and I really wanted plantinum so at least if she wants to change something, we''ll have that opportunity when ordering the other setting without totally spoiling the surprise...

Bam2K, thanks for asking. Funny that you should bring up the ''engagement coming soon'' -- I guess I am guilty of being on ''guy soon'' mode as somebody recently described. We recently celebrated our 6th ''anniversary'' and have been serious/living together for I guess 5 1/2 yrs or so.... coming soon would be overdue in her book, I imagine. A couple of months ago we had some rough times and that was my wake-up call and got me thinking about this as the NY ''resolution'' ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6 years? Yeah, you need to get on the ball!
2.gif

Congratulations and good luck with your proposal!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
My FI proposed at 00.05 on Christmas Eve.

It meant that it was a private proposal at home on Christmas Eve - but not the public type it would have been if he had waited till the evening.

Instead we drove down to see his family that afternoon and made the announcement at dinner, so we got to celebrate with all of them over xmas.

I wouldn''t have wanted an xmas day proposal, but this way Christmas Eve will always be doubly specially for us.

Personally, I think that NY''s Eve is such a party time for everyone that it would take away from the specialness of the proposal - but that''s just me.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read the other replies yet because I don't want to be swayed before posting my opinion.

For me, Christmas is family time. It's hectic with my running around trying to help cook Christmas dinner, make sure that everyone's present is wrapped, think about whether or not they like the present, who wants to go to church and who will stay home (a big thing in my family with everyone firmly in their own corners), did the Christmas tree get watered and keeping the cats out of it, etc.

New Years is friend time. There's not strict menu - just alcohol! No one to worry about or keep track of but myself. There are no demands on my time. Plus it's a party occasion - music, snacks, plenty of drinks, and a kiss at midnight.

Now off to read the other replies - you may have already decided :)

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for X-mas eve. To me it''s the most romantic night of the year. X-mas day and NY eve are usually way to hectic. No matter when you choose, I''m sure she''ll love it.

Ian0219

Rough_Rock
I agree with the Christmas is busy ideas. However, what about a proposal just prior to Christmas. That allows for celebration with family and friends on x-mas eve, x-mas, and new years. I like the idea of a personal proposal followed by public celebration (but there again I am partial due to my own plans). Good luck with the proposal, I''m sure it will be very special either way.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I heard...I mean really listened to the song What Are You Doing New Years Eve...and when I did, I knew my answer was going to be NY Eve. Have you heard it?

Maybe it''s much too early in the game
Ah, but I thought I''d ask you just the same
What are you doing New Year''s
New Year''s Eve?
Wonder whose arms will hold you good and tight
When it''s exactly twelve o''clock that night
Welcoming in the New Year
New Year''s Eve

Maybe I''m crazy to suppose
I''d ever be the one you chose
Out of a thousand invitations
You''d receive

Ah, but in case I stand one little chance
Here comes the jackpot question in advance
What are you doing New Year''s
New Year''s Eve?

What are you doing New Year''s Eve?

Listen to a clip...scroll to bottom Harry Connick Jr.

Made me think of maybe setting it up with a tune and maybe a date or Question...to go with the song. That way she will always connect the two. Oh pull on my heart strings....§

mrchips

Rough_Rock
This is my thought and my thought only.

First, congratulations on your upcoming engagement. I recently just got engaged and story to follow.

When I was thinking of it, I didn''t want to do it on any other day that was associated with something i.e a holiday etc...I wanted to do it on a day that we could call our day, and not say Christmas, Valentine''s Day etc...know what I mean.

I wanted it to be just about us and not about everybody else. Sounds a little selfish I guess, but its not really, I don''t think. Know what I mean.

But if I had to pick, I''d do it New Year''s Eve, so you can start the NEW YEAR together, forever.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results