shape
carat
color
clarity

appraisal for antique pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
If I recently purchased a 1920''s diamond bracelet from a reputable store... should I send it to be appraised by someone who specializes in vintage pieces? Or for insurance purposes can I rely on the write-up/ description and receipt given to me by the store?

Names of recommended appraisers who specialize in vintage? Or just send to my local PS appraiser?

Thanks!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2007 1:04:46 PM
Author:Green with Envy
If I recently purchased a 1920's diamond bracelet from a reputable store... should I send it to be appraised by someone who specializes in vintage pieces? Or for insurance purposes can I rely on the write-up/ description and receipt given to me by the store?

Names of recommended appraisers who specialize in vintage? Or just send to my local PS appraiser?

Thanks!!
And you didn't even have the decency to post PHOTOS of it here? Man, you really are in need of a spanking young lady! Photos, photos, photos, photos, photos, .....

ETA: Where are the PHOTOS?!?

ETA2: Where are you located?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Recently w/in the past 2 months Neil Beaty appraise a 1920's art deco diamond/platinum brooch for me; I mailed it to him and he mailed it back. He is in Denver, Co.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, whatever happened with that amazing brooch?! Is it in your hot little hands now?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I know- I am awful! It is my NYC find and I just got it in the mail this am (they had to do a repair on the clasp). I am waiting for my camera battery to charge... plus I can not dream of taking it off my wrist!

It is a vintage 1920''s graduated OEC line bracelet with 50 stones set in platinum... H color, VS clarity...about 4.65 tcw. thin bezel set with milgrain. PERFECT!!!!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Shut UP! It sounds amazing...a line of graduated OMCs??? I can''t wait to see this beauty...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would be concrened with the representation of color just as a single grade, "H". It is not all that likely that the bracelelt was made to such a demanding standard before the standard even existed. More than likely the color grade is a best guess by the sellerand close enough to indicate the diamonds don''t look tinted like J/K colors would in that size range. Truthfully, a grade over a range, such as G/I is far more likely to be realisitc although someone would have to take out diamonds to know for sure. I''d rarely recommend that to anyone.

Few items left around from the 20''s contain such nice color diamonds. Most of the time the white color stones were H/I/J range although from time to time super fine colors were found like the Golconda variety.

Unless you have doubts, insurance based on what you paid will probaqbly do the job for the present time. If you want to know more, or get a second opinion, then getting someone who performs estate jewelry appraisals rather than unset diamond grading is what you need. There is a big difference in how grading of mounted diamonds is done and how accurate it can be.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Well, let me join the group screaming for pictures!
1.gif
(Skippy...have you posted pics of your brooch???)

Barbra Voltaire in San Francisco is the appraiser I''d use for antique pieces. She''s got all the right credentials (GG, etc).....and I know has a LOT of experience dealing with vintage pieces.

widget

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Green, when I was trying to find an appraiser Kaleigh recommended Dave Atlas and it is probably quick to ship from NY to Dave. Green I wonder how they say all the stones are VS H; I would get it appraised. I want to see pictures too!!!!

Surfgirl, yep, it is now my holiday/birthday gift; thanks! I love it.
9.gif
Green sorry for the jack.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
yes- The GG at the store said their estimate is in the H range. I do understand it is hard to tell when set. The stones are very white and very little warmth compared to other pieces I saw.

With my non-expert eyes... I looked with a lupe and had trouble seeing any clarity issues so I feel secure about VS- ish.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2007 2:01:51 PM
Author: surfgirl

Date: 12/7/2007 1:04:46 PM
Author:Green with Envy
If I recently purchased a 1920''s diamond bracelet from a reputable store... should I send it to be appraised by someone who specializes in vintage pieces? Or for insurance purposes can I rely on the write-up/ description and receipt given to me by the store?

Thanks!!
And you didn''t even have the decency to post PHOTOS of it here? Man, you really are in need of a spanking young lady! Photos, photos, photos, photos, photos, .....

ETA: Where are the PHOTOS?!?

ETA2: Where are you located?
Surfgirl- I went to see MG and the experience was... interesting. Great prices... but we spoke very different vocabulary. I will explain further if we ever meet... do not want to put on PS.

I am in RB. I am visiting a friend next week on 12/12 in LJ and going to swing by "your" store... but as you can see my oEC fix has been temporarily quenched. Do you work near LJ? i could call and let you know when we are over there... but we will be dragging a 10 month old with us so slightly unpredictable.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your bracelet will make alot of your family and friends green with envy, for sure!

Wear it and enjoy it as you know it to be a beautiful vintage item. As Dave stated,

it would be tough to say that all are in the "H" range (which really isn''t a range). Usually,

OEC diamonds when mounted, appear one to two color grades on average better than when out of the mounting.

Mounted OEC diamonds are difficult to color grade, especially when set low.

Jeff Averbook, GG
Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhh Widget!!!!

I learned that tons of stuff (especially at some of the online things I have seen) is sold as true vintage and really just replica. Sometimes easy to tell... but other times not. Do you feel worth it for piece of mind to have barbara check it out? do you feel strongly about her knack with true vintage? i know you have experience with so many nice vinatge pieces!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Green!!

I''ve never actually had any of my old pieces appraised...but if I were to, it would be Barbra. I know she works at or is in some way associated with Lang''s, so she''s obviously experienced with antique jewelry.

I''d post a link to her website, but I don''t think it''s allowed.

I personally tend to trust the seller... I''ve probably been burned a few times. But if I got something from FL...I wouldn''t worry at all.
1.gif

widget

PS: I have an old OEC line bracelet too, have you seen it? It''s also graduated, but with the smallest ones in the middle, and the largest ones at the ends. Here''s a pic:

00theig57.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh Widget; I love the clasp!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE your bracelet! I know langs has true vintage but also replicas and sometimes not super clear verbally which is which on website. I can find barbara... thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results