shape
carat
color
clarity

Photographer....help me pick!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
My mom and I met with 3 photographers while I was home over the weekend and we narrowed it down to 2 (the 3rd one was way out of our budget)! I am having trouble picking between them because they both had a unique style, plus the price is just about the same (give or take).

The clincher is that I really want a lot of candid/photojournalism pictures for my wedding with, of course, the traditional family/bridal party posed pictures.

Photographer 1: http://www.howard-photography.com/index.html

Photographer 2: http://www.memory-productions.com/samples_photo.htm

Opinions???
2.gif

hopefulheidi

Shiny_Rock
I really liked the Memory Productions photos better than the other. There were a lot of great candids and no need for special editing to give those images that special something. That's obviously just my opinion though :)

Is there any huge difference between the two that would push you in one direction or the other? ie does one of their packages fit your needs better? is there one photographer whose personality would mesh better with yours? have you read any feedback about either?

~Heidi

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I like the memory productions one just from looking at the samples. I like photo shop elements like the other photographer uses, but I feel like the style of that work isn''t quite as "caught in a moment" as the memories photographer. The thing about the effects is that they can always be added later, but great photos have to be taken right then.

I dunno though, both websites present very nice photos. I suppose it all depends on your preference. Both include candid and posed, but the Memories one seems more action oriented, and the other seems to cater more toward centered, portrait like poses. (and again, you can always crop photos later if you like them more centered.)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
*** Edited: Okay, I went through all of the photos and I think I've changed my mind. The first photographer DID have a lot of posed shots, while the second one didn't. I like that better -- more candid. Sorry to confuse you!

I will say though, that I liked the website of the first photog. better. It was more user-friendly. I'm not sure that that has anything to do with it, but I thought I'd mention it.

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your input!
9.gif

There are only a few differences in the packages that the 2 photographers offer....

Howard Photography -- Unlimited coverage, unlimited locations, assistant photographer, free engagement session, engagement book for guests to sign at the wedding, CD of images, 30 page coffee table album, online proofing, and online ordering

Memory Productions -- 8 hours coverage, unlimited locations, assistant photographer, $75 engagement session, basic image editing, 40 page coffee table album, 1 half-size duplicate album for parents ($150 for 1 more parent album), online proofing, and online ordering

I hope you can see why we are so torn because the prices are very similar!
33.gif
Any other opinions??
1.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Hmm... first impression is: Neither? OK, that''s harsh. I don''t care for the super-cheesy photoshop effects of Howard, and there are way too many pictures through leaves and twigs and branches with the wedding in the distance on Memory''s site. And remember, these are their BEST shots on the website. Many many were left on the proverbial cutting room floor.

Second impression: Memory. They have a much better eye for composition and I love their color palatte. They are attempting a number of "capture the moment" shots, but with an artistic eye. Some succeed better than others. They have a number of good shots further back in their samples. I personally would just ask for not too many shots with leaves in the foreground, wedding in back.

Don''t mean any insult to lovers of soft halos and colored rose petals falling over B&W bridal couple - just not my cup of tea! Surely some people like it!

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Cara - I totally appreciate your honesty!
2.gif

Before I approached the board for opinions, my mom and I were leaning towards Memory Productions b/c they seem more "comfortable" with candid shots than Howard Photography did. As far as the ''distance'' pictures go, the photographer said that he likes to use them as backgrounds in some of his coffee table albums....makes sense.

Both of the photographers packages are about $2000...pretty reasonable and fit into my parents'' budget!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I much prefer Memory Productions. Howard''s seem forced and overly doctored in order to make them special, whereas Memory''s seem more naturally artistic. I would never use Howard myself based on those samples, but would definitely consider Memory Productions. Did you meet with the actual phtographers from each who would be shooting your wedding? Because I think that personal chemistry with a photographer means A LOT also.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Memory, without question, is the better choice between those two. Please, just throw Howard''s business card, brochures, etc into the shredder/fireplace/other-machine-of-paper-destruction and walk away. Please.
11.gif

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again ladies! It seems like a unanimous vote...you have really helped make my decision easier!
21.gif

I was already leaning towards Memory Productions before I posted on PS b/c I did really mesh with the photographer. He had a great, bubbly personality! I figured that he would definately keep things moving on the day of the wedding and keep my nerves at bay! The photographer from Howard was really nice, but also very soft-spoken, so I really couldn''t picture him working well under pressure.

I''ll give my mom a call later on and tell her that the wonderful ladies on PS recommend Memory Productions...YAAY!!!!
9.gif

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
ladyciel - you make me laugh!
10.gif
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2007 10:35:43 PM
Author: cara
Hmm... first impression is: Neither? OK, that's harsh. I don't care for the super-cheesy photoshop effects of Howard, and there are way too many pictures through leaves and twigs and branches with the wedding in the distance on Memory's site. And remember, these are their BEST shots on the website. Many many were left on the proverbial cutting room floor.

Second impression: Memory. They have a much better eye for composition and I love their color palatte. They are attempting a number of 'capture the moment' shots, but with an artistic eye. Some succeed better than others. They have a number of good shots further back in their samples. I personally would just ask for not too many shots with leaves in the foreground, wedding in back.

Don't mean any insult to lovers of soft halos and colored rose petals falling over B&W bridal couple - just not my cup of tea! Surely some people like it!
ditto ditto.

Laura, where are you located (ish, of course)? I'm in LA and there are photographers I'd recommend over these, for the same budget--so it stands to reason that you could potentially find better for the budget most anywhere.

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
The wedding is going to be in my hometown of North Canton, OH....if anyone can recommend other photographers in the NE Ohio area, let me know!!!
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you checked theknot.com and project wedding?

LauraSLP07

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Musey for taking the time to look up all of those photographers. I didn''t even think to look on The Knot, but will definately check out the websites you recommended!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results