shape
carat
color
clarity

Using toothbrush + dishwashing detergent to clean a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
I''m wondering whats the best way to clean a platinum ring using only household items?

I''m thinking dishwashing detergent solution + a toothbrush.

How effective is this method? What is a better way using only household items?

Lastly, would using an electric toothbrush be too harsh on the ring? Especially bead-set diamonds?

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
3 parts water, 1 part cloudy ammonia (supermarket), few drops of dishwashing liquid. Diamond safe too. Rinse well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What stebbo said, and pre-soaking helps. However, I will add, that method cannot completely clean a ring. It just can''t get in every nook and cranny.

I take my ring off to do most things, so it never gets really dirty, at all. And I still have to use an ultrasonic to get it *justlikebrandnew* clean.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
What was mentioned before about water,amonia,and dish soap.Skip the brush...it scrathes the high polished surface...only use if really needed to get hardened stuff off diamonds and crowns.Use fingertips to clean smooth surfaces in a back and forth motion ,not a circular motion.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
jewelerman, how would you propose cleaning the pavillion (which is the most important area) area without a brush? We''ve had many experts suggest the soft brush approach....
33.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use liquid dishwashing soap and warm water. I soak my ring in the warm suds for a bit and then I use a baby tooth brush to gently clean the ring. When that''s done, I dry the ring with a lint-free cloth.

sheena

Rough_Rock
A soap and water solution is in fact, the best cleaner for all your jewelry. Be careful with commercial cleaning solutions that often contain chemicals. A mild, non-abrasive soap dissolved in water and a soft brush is the only items you need for basic jewelry care.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
If using a brush be sure it has very soft bristles. Some jewelry cleaning kits have brushes made for this purpose - shaped to reach the pavilion. Also, though it seems a no-brainer, don''t use a brush that has ever had toothpaste on it. Toothpaste is an abrasive and can harm precious metals.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I have a small paint brush with short natural bristles [almost like an eye shadow brush] that I use to clean up under the prongs by the pavillion. It reaches places that the baby toothbrush can''t seem to.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve found the baby toothbrushes even feel too hard so I use two sable paintbrushes. One is thicker and one is thinner and shorter - both can get right under the setting and into the nooks and crannies easily. And they''re as soft as you''re gonna get in a brush.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m still standing by, nothing works better than an UltraSonic cleaner.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Ellen,
As i mentioned in my post earlier, a brush can be used when needed to get hardened stuff off of diamonds and crowns. Flat high polished surfaces will become scratched when a cold hard nylon brush is drawn back and forth against them.Even after soaking, the brush needs to be checked with the end of the fingertips before brushing to make sure its soft and plyable.Many people assume that because a brush is recommended in cleaning their jewelry that it can be used to clean the whole piece and not just certain parts.John brought up an important point about the toothpaste,it is an abrasive cleaner and should be avoided.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
jm, I use a brush every time I clean my ring, when not usuing the US. Oils and stuff get on the underside, (even if you never get "hardened stuff") and I don''t think just soaking it would get it totally clean.

However, I only scrub on the diamond, not the setting.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I use a window cleaner that contains ammonia and a very soft brush. Sometimes I soak the ring overnight before using the brush. Can this kind of solution cause any harm to the platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results