shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! NYC Proposal - No Restaurant or Central Park...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

souvlaki99

Rough_Rock
I am looking for somewhere in Manhattan to propose, but do not want to do the deed in a restaurant or Central Park. She would want it "semi-public" as she calls it. Does anyone have ideas. I have plenty of ideas, but they involve either a restaurant, Central Park, or privacy!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!

(Thanks)

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
How about actively browsing the aisles of Toys R Us on Broadway together, reminiscing toys owned of past. You'll have a lot of fun, learn some new cool things about who each of your are, and memories of those great episodes in life will set up a real intimacy. Then hop on the huge ferris wheel there to pop the question.

Secret Proposal

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure thats really our cup of tea............ but that is one of the most creative things I''ve heard in a while! Well done!

Anyone else?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about during the intermission of a Broadway play?? Is that semi public??

largirl

Shiny_Rock
Kaleigh, I was just going to post that! :)

Secret Proposal, can you give us a better idea of what exactly "semi-public" means? Like she wants it to be seen by a few people but not too many? How many is too many? I would consider a public proposal something like on a billboard or on the scoreboard of a Yankees game, but I would consider something at a restaurant or in Central Park to be semi-public/semi-private.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
How about working the love statue or love wall into the day somehow?

lstat.jpg
lstat2.jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
If you are proposing during the holidays, the tree is a great place...

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Serendipity! The dessert place...from the movie with John Cusak! oh there are so many gorgeous places in NYC, my bro in law proposed at the Metropolitan Museum, that is where they had their first date, but in the area with all the Tiffany windows would be lovely and semi-private. Or on the roof if its sunny, the statue garden, and if its open, the cafe up there or the lunch place below can bring you champagne!

I saw someone propose the last time I was in Harry Winstons....but you have to have some real carats to hand over there...

Even Times Square...no one would notice if you were naked in NYC, so most anywhere is pretty private. Just do what feels right and have run, right?

CRiLLiS

Rough_Rock
How about the ice rink at Rockafellar Center?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 5:15:17 PM
Author: swimmer
Serendipity! The dessert place...from the movie with John Cusak! oh there are so many gorgeous places in NYC, my bro in law proposed at the Metropolitan Museum, that is where they had their first date, but in the area with all the Tiffany windows would be lovely and semi-private. Or on the roof if its sunny, the statue garden, and if its open, the cafe up there or the lunch place below can bring you champagne!

I saw someone propose the last time I was in Harry Winstons....but you have to have some real carats to hand over there...

Even Times Square...no one would notice if you were naked in NYC, so most anywhere is pretty private. Just do what feels right and have run, right?
From a NYer:

Serendiptiy is hard to get a respervation and it''s TINY. The one on 59th just got closed down by the board of health by the way.

Also the LOVE monument with all four tiers is in the middle of the Park Avenue intersection. I would NOT propose there...
But there is a lovely one on 54th and Sixth Avenue I think...

Of all the places that are romantic at winter, I think the tree is not, but that''s just me. Too many people, but that''s what you like. You can do it at a comedy club, or again at a broadway show, many people have since suggested. There is one off-broadway show (if it''s still playing, as there is a stagehand strike currently in NYC, so MANY shows are closed). It''s called, "I Love you, You''re Perfect, Now Change." It''s a light hearted comedy of skits about relationships and it''s quite cute. Again, check with Ticketmaster which shows are still running.

Personally at Wollman Rink, you can get in the center of the ice, get on one knee and do it there? It''s in Central Park, but this time of season with all the traffic it''s NOT private at all...

I once saw a guy propose to a girl by using those street performers, a magician. He had a chair and asked for an audience volunteer. Of course he picked the girl, and had he sit. Behind her was her BF, and the magician made a box appear. He gave her the empty box. She giggled and then he told her to make a wish, and turn around. There was the BF with the ring in hand. She said yes. My friend took pictures, but then again everyone did. It was right in the heart of Rockefeller Center last year...

be creative and see what she likes and what her personality would work with. Does she like sports?

If you want public display of adoration and egnagement, try to go watch the taping of the Today show in the morning, at NBC studios, and try to do it on TV.... Or even go to watch Conan O''Brien, also at NBC studios and see if they would let you do that there...?

don_r6

Rough_Rock
I proposed over nyc in a helicopter. She didn''t expect it because I did a nyc tour thingy to throw her off a bit. Only thing is, you won''t be able to get on one knee because you''ll be strapped into a 6 pt seat belt.

sandia_rose

Shiny_Rock
I love the toy store idea, but honestly, this time of year, it''d be mobbed. I live in Connecticut and only went to NYC for Christmas shopping once. The crowds just made it less enjoyable than other times of the year.

How about on the grounds of the Cathedral of St. John The Divine (112th and Amsterdam Avenue)? Or The Cloisters (Fort Tryon Park/190th)? Both have amazing architecture and give you the sense that you''re in medievil Europe. The Cloisters constantly have tours, classes and people milling about. As far as the Cathedral, that is less "public," but..there is an amazing show that they have there every year -- Paul Winter''s Winter Solstice Concert. He is a classical/New Age musician that assembles other musicians from around the world. This year''s concert features Renato Braz, who is stellar. Paul and his musicians mill about and talk with the audience at intermission, and you may be able to get him to help you propose (make an announcement or say something from the stage). He is very personable and down-to-earth. See: http://www.livingmusic.com/solstice/wintersolstice.html

Or, you can take her to the Hayden Planetarium. There is a new show that just opened called Cosmic Collisions. See: http://www.amnh.org/rose/spaceshow/cosmic/. You can take her to the show and the after the performance is over, you can say something like, "I think I just caught a star." And when she gives you a funny look and says, "What?" you can take out the ring and say, "Yeah. I caught this star for the woman who is my universe."

Or how about under the arch in Washington Square Park? The arch is an identical reproduction of the Arc de Triompe in Paris. Then afterward (or before), you could take her to an independent play in the Village. There are a lot of hole-in-the-wall playhouses there. I saw Philip Seymour Hoffman in a play down there, before he got his start in movies.

If you want to venture out of NYC and into Connecticut, try an inn. The Blackberry Inn is only about a 45 minute drive for you. It''s incredible! See: http://www.blackberryriverinn.com/new/. Also fun is the Hopkins Winery (and the Inn on the same property). It''s secluded and in an area where the views can''t be beat and there is a lot of antiquing to be had: http://www.thehopkinsinn.com/. The winery is across the road. Don''t skip the intro, because it''ll show you the stunning landscape you''ll see: http://www.hopkinsvineyard.com/intro.asp

Hope this helps! Good luck with your proposal!

Bridget in Connecticut.

sheena

Rough_Rock
In a cafe bar near in Manhattan would be a great place to propose.

basisforaday

Rough_Rock
if your a little quirky maybe the museum of natural history

Top of the Rock has a great view of Manhattan and the surrounding boroughs. depending on the day of the week and the time it is not that busy. you could propose and then go through Rockefeller center to ice skate, see the tree or goto Tiffanys.

I know you said no restaurants but here are some rooftop bars that offer great views of the city, and depending on the time and day that you go, you can be relatively private, and the order a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Also most are on top of hotels so you can go have yourself a romantic night following a sunset proposal
First High Bar has an amazing view of the Chrysler and midtown 2 Lexington Ave., at 21st Street
Secondly The Pen-Top Bar & Terrace has an awesome view of the park, but will cost you a pretty penny 700 Fifth Ave., at 55th St.
Rare View 303 Lexington Ave., at 37th St.
Roof Garden Cafe This is on top of the MET a lot more affordable, with views of Central Park, but only open till 830

More ideas to come

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results