shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you handle...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
a drastic job change? Being in one field and then entering a completely different one?

I have ben seriously looking for a new job since early this year and it''s been really frustrating. Everyone only seems to want an MT that has 2-3 years experience, which I don''t have in an official employment setting (I''ve worked on friends, family and coworkers though) I finished school for it late in 2005, the year my dad died so I was caught up in that low frame of mind and didn''t feel up to looking for a job yet. Then spent 8 months of time in 2006 focusing on the wedding. I FINALLY have been in touch with three spas and a hotel that more than likely will be interested in hiring MTs after the holiday season (since so many people get gift certs for spa treatments and such.)

Now, after so long, I feel nervous about switching gears. I have been in the admin job where I am now for 7 1/2 years. I love the people I work with, it''s super casual, great boss, we joke around and all that, but I can''t live on the pay. I really have to focus on bringing in a salary that I can build more savings for buying a place and retirement. In the past when geting a new job (from retail to office) I felt more relaxed about it since I wouldn''t have to deal with the whole face-to-face customer aspect anymore. For others who have done this, how did you get you inner butterflies to be quiet?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The same way you tamed those butterflies when you first learned to drive--you just get yourself into the right position and go!

I switched from a corporate desk job to teaching several years ago, and to be honest all of my anxiety disappeared the moment I stood up in front of my first classroom of college students. I think you just have to go with it!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Nytemist! Take a deep breath and plunge. Life is such an adventure if you allow it to be. Live it as fully as you can.

I would try imagining yourself successful in your new career. If it tastes good, it might make the plunge a little easier. Just like imagining the joy of swimming in a beautiful lake makes the first cold splash a little easier to handle.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Independent Gal - think of it as an adventure! Sometimes it''s all about the attitude you take about change as opposed to the actual change itself. Life''s too short to approach everything with a hefty amount of worry. If things don''t work out, you can always find an administrative job again.
9.gif

Good luck!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I sat here thinking about this today, I''m guessing I think I''m rusty. While in school my instructor though I had some of the best tactile skills she had seen in a student. She has 22 years experience so that was great to hear. Normally I jump headfirst into new jobs with thinking twice... maybe my age is showing.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it possible to start part time WITHOUT quitting your "day job"? That could be great for saving extra $$ and kind of getting your feet wet again in a professional setting before making the plunge full-time.

Evening hours, weekends etc -- just for a while. It''ll also help build clientele.

A friend of mine''s Aunt studied to be an MT, built a room in her house for a practice & just never really got going. Don''t know if it was fear or age or what. Get started!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 7:09:10 PM
Author: decodelighted
Is it possible to start part time WITHOUT quitting your ''day job''? That could be great for saving extra $$ and kind of getting your feet wet again in a professional setting before making the plunge full-time.

Evening hours, weekends etc -- just for a while. It''ll also help build clientele.

A friend of mine''s Aunt studied to be an MT, built a room in her house for a practice & just never really got going. Don''t know if it was fear or age or what. Get started!

Good idea!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 11:00:48 AM
Author:nytemist
a drastic job change? Being in one field and then entering a completely different one?

I have ben seriously looking for a new job since early this year and it''s been really frustrating. Everyone only seems to want an MT that has 2-3 years experience, which I don''t have in an official employment setting (I''ve worked on friends, family and coworkers though) I finished school for it late in 2005, the year my dad died so I was caught up in that low frame of mind and didn''t feel up to looking for a job yet. Then spent 8 months of time in 2006 focusing on the wedding. I FINALLY have been in touch with three spas and a hotel that more than likely will be interested in hiring MTs after the holiday season (since so many people get gift certs for spa treatments and such.)

Now, after so long, I feel nervous about switching gears. I have been in the admin job where I am now for 7 1/2 years. I love the people I work with, it''s super casual, great boss, we joke around and all that, but I can''t live on the pay. I really have to focus on bringing in a salary that I can build more savings for buying a place and retirement. In the past when geting a new job (from retail to office) I felt more relaxed about it since I wouldn''t have to deal with the whole face-to-face customer aspect anymore. For others who have done this, how did you get you inner butterflies to be quiet?
I can''t speak about the MT part of your post but I''ve changed careers, so I''ll tell you about that. Mabye it will help you see that changing jobs can be a fantastic thing to do.

I used to work in another field (publishing, in Boston, actually) before I began a master''s program and then started teaching. I liked the *idea* of my job but I eventually realized that it wasn''t for me. Sure, there were perks and I loved going to work in the beginning. When I began to think about leaving that position (after 2 years) and entering grad school to teach, it scared me a lot. I like predictability and stability. Going back to school was going to be a big change, financially and professionally, and it was hard knowing that I was starting all over again. Honestly though, it was the best decision (professionally) that I could have made. I ended up moving from the Boston area to the seacoast in NH to attend grad school. I met a whole bunch of new people and the laid-back atmosphere was more suited to me, instead of the hustle and bustle of the city. Yes, it was scary at first but I was so busy with classes, interning, and finally teaching once I finished my program, that I didn''t have time to dwell on the big changes that I had made. I emersed myself in the education system and I spent time observing and learning. It wasn''t easy but it was definitely the right thing.

After I had given my notice at my publishing house, I began to picture myself taking classes, working with kids, etc. I could see myself growing in a way that I never would have, had I stayed in publishing. I still admire that profession...from afar.
9.gif

Sorry I wrote so much about myself and my experience. I didn''t mean to go on and on. I hope you can find something in there that helps.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2007 3:26:36 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Nytemist! Take a deep breath and plunge. Life is such an adventure if you allow it to be. Live it as fully as you can.

I would try imagining yourself successful in your new career. If it tastes good, it might make the plunge a little easier. Just like imagining the joy of swimming in a beautiful lake makes the first cold splash a little easier to handle.

Indy, you said in just a few sentences what I was trying to say...but it took me several more sentences to do so.
3.gif

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I''m hoping that I can get part time at least for now. After having a talk on the phone with the therapist I''m considering, she suggested that I feel like my motiviation went downhill since it''s been a long time between finishing school and job hunting. She''s right now that I''ve thought about it. Part of me was so ready to dive in take over the world after finishing, but felt so numb since it 5 months after my dad.

My instructor told me that it wouldn''t be a good idea to start out of the gate in my own space; it would be better to get experience first, get some regular clients and such. Also, I don''t have the money to rent a space or to buy the independent insurance. I really don''t want to take out a loan since I''m still paying back student loans. I just had this moment of panic after talking to the HR person at the hotel that may be interested in interviewing me. Don''t know why. I felt better last night after doing some meditating with my crystals- the panic feeling is gone, for now at least. Also my aunt asked me at dinner, "what happened to the crazy person that woudn''t think twice about this and didn''t care if she was told no, she''d keep trying?" I said I think that girl has been run over by stress, but it''s time to find her again. If I could deal with the original situaiton of going back to school full-time with no money and working full-time, I should be able to deal with this. I have to essentially put my old brain back in- I''ve been so scattered about so much other stuff. I''ll polish the resume this weekend and see what I can catch starting next week. It helps to have other impartial words to pull me out of... whatever place I''m in now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results