shape
carat
color
clarity

Tungsten vs. tianium vs. white gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can someone please explain the difference between titanium and tungsten (and tungsten carbide)?

My FI and I are considering a few different rings (for his wedding band) with a few different vendors, and we''re not sure what to do. My FI has tried on a concave wedding band, and he''s decided that it''s the look he wants. Now we''re just trying to decide between the type of metal we want and what is a better option, quality and financially speaking. We had been only considering white gold but then titanium and tungsten came to mind.

My FI works at a computer all day, so there''s no worry about him being rough with his ring. He''s never worn any jewelry, so getting a comfort fit band is a must.

Boone rings definitely has the best price so far (~ $100 for a Boone ring vs. ~ $800-900 elsewhere). I know titanium can''t be sized, well, it can but not by much. I think that would be okay. If we went with Boone and my FI needed a different size at some point, he''d just buy a new ring and it wouldn''t set us back financially. That''s a plus!

What to do, what to do...

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have rings of all three metals, and here''s my thoughts:

White gold, even on a guy that works at a computer, will need replating every once in a while. It''s a nice classic though, and can be sized.

My DH has a titanium band he''s been wearing for 4 years straight, and it''s getting pretty scuffed looking, but he loves the light weight feel and the color. He now has a titanium bracelet, necklace, and we''re looking for a watch to match.

I have a tungsten band I wear camping/surfing/traveling. It''s HEAVY, like more than platinum, and can withstand anything and still look great. It''s a very dark color, not quite metal looking, but really neat. I''ve had it a year now, and you can''t tell I''ve even worn it. Tungsten can''t be sized though, but you can just buy a new ring for alomst the cost of sizing a gold ring.

Quash

Rough_Rock
I, too, would be interested in hearing more about people''s opinions with Tungsten. And to add to the mix, how it might compare to Platinum? That''s what I''ve narrowed down to.

Where are reputable places to buy Tungsten rings?

Hope that adds to the discussion, as I don''t intend to hijack the thread.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
tungstenpride.com is where we bought TGuy''s. He loves his ring, and over a year later, it still looks brand new. He also likes the heft and felt that Tungsten would best feel like the ball and chain that is our marriage. Hehehehe.

jazzgal4ever

Rough_Rock
In most B&M stores, you can purchase an "extended" warranty for just about anything. This is a good option and something I recommend when it comes to the titanium and Tungsten carbide rings. IMO I''d rather spend the money on the extra warranty for the ring then have to order a new one (and pay for out of my pocket) to fit every so often. Most places have a warranty that will cover the replacement for the ring if you need a different size. Where I work now offers a 3 year, but I know that there are stores that offer a lifetime plan. Anytime your weight flucuates or the temperature changes, you risk your ring not fitting and it will be uncomfortable or you could lose it. These warranties or service plans are definately worth their weight when it comes to these bands.

Good luck with your choice!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I bought my tungsten band on ebay for less than $40, so if I ever need a different size, it makes more sense to just buy a new ring.

Quash

Rough_Rock
So, I understand that Tungsten and Platinum have similar heft. And that Tungsten has a "darker" look.

But, when Tungsten Carbide is polished, how does the colour compare to Platinum or White Gold? Pics on the net don''t make it easy to distinguish. I tend to favour the look of Platinum over White Gold.

And I understand the difference between Tungsten and Tungsten Carbide. But, I''ve seen "Tungsten Carbide 857"? Anyone know what this is?

Are there differences in quality between Tungsten Carbide mixes/rings?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what the difference is between the tungsten types. My ring is darker than platinum, more of a gun metal color. Its pretty neat, but different than white gold or platinum. You can see them in person at most chain jewelry stores, and I think even Wal Mart is carrying titanium and tungsten now. If i have time tonight I''ll try to get a picture together of tungsten, titanium, platinum and white gold, I have ring of all those metals.

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 10:18:56 AM
Author: MustangGal
I bought my tungsten band on ebay for less than $40, so if I ever need a different size, it makes more sense to just buy a new ring.

we did as well MG!! my fiance and I originally had matching Titanium bands, and after a period of roughly a year, he was quite unhppy with it and decided to try tungsten.(I upgraded to Platinum) It has been 2 years in January and it still looks brand spanking new. We own a small computer store and he, of course, is working with his hands/dirt/grime all day and it holds up beautifully. If is starts to look a bit dirty, he simply shines it up with his tshirt, LOL. I would highly recommend Tungsten.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
My sister was going to buy her husband a titanium ring, but then called local hospitals to find out of they''d be able to cut it off if his hand was ever injured and none of the hospitals had the tools it would take to cut through the titanium band, so she got him a surgical steel ring instead.

While buying my wedding band I asked the jeweller if he thought titanium bands were dangerous and he said the same thing--that only certain hospitals in our area could cut through the band if there was ever an emergency. I was wondering if those with titanium bands had to call their local hospitals first?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard titanium can be cut off with the same tools for gold, but I don''t know if that''s right. For tungsten they can just break the ring with vice-grips or a hard blow I think.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I took some pictures of different rings next to each other, hopefully you can see the color difference.

#1 Left to right, 14kt white gold, tungsten, platinum, titanium

lake 012.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
#2 14kt white gold, tungsten, titanium, platinum

lake 015.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
#3 14kt white gold, platinum, tungsten, titanium

lake 016.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, your tungsten ring really does look brand new!

Quash

Rough_Rock
Cool! Thanks for that comparison! Great to see those rings side by thanks!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a helpful pic!

Here is a pic of the stock pictures versus in real life. You can see it''s darker IRL.

2050510-041a.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results