shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Okay gals, I need your help please.
Here is the story. We are ordering the stone from Whiteflash on Tuesday, so it would more than likely get here on Wednesday. My BF, tells me just a couple of hours ago, he was watching a golf tournament on tv in Vegas, so he got the itch. We were going to go to Vegas last week, but did not. We go often. Well then he says "lets go this weekend", I said "are you serious, you want to go" and he says "yes". Well we were supposed to go to the jewelry mart in LA, to look at settings. (i"ve been there twice last week). So I remind him that we were so supposed to do this, and he says, "oh well then I guess we won''t." and I said "oh yeah, like if there''s a choice, vegas, or settings) I''d take Vegas, it''s OUR place. He then says, "well if I get out early then we can go on Thursday and take care of it then". So we can leave for Vegas Friday morning.

Okay . I was shocked! I thought oh, well, I guess we''ll look when we get back....I wasn''t going to give up Vegas..to look at settings..I''m already thrilled that the diamond is going to come in this week. Yay! So the fact that he had wanted to take care of it before we went to Vegas kind of baffled me. Proposal in Vegas..I don''t know....I almost wish he had not said that, because I might just be getting my hopes up..UGH!!!

Sorry I''m trying to get to the point, because I''m really excited. So here''s my dilemma. It''s trying to find or pick a setting. I keep going back and forth. I''m obsessed and literally losing sleep over this. The stone is a 1.98RB SI 1, I color. 8.10 x 8.14 x 4.95. GIA excellent. Pol. vg. symm vg. with arrows! Well I don''t know how to set it. I originally thought solitaire setting and do a nice chunky eternity band. Then i tried the halos, something I though I would not like. I love certain halos, and in the jewelry mart they had 1000"s of them. I found 3 that can be contenders. Although they are beautiful, I feet that this stone will get lost, and not get noticed, for lack of a better word. I feel that I could have gone 1.25-1.50 and have gotten that same look, due to the WOW of the setting. So then I went to an eternity band setting with 8 pointers all around with same matching eternity WB. Well it''s very, very, nice and a lot to look at, again I''m afraid it''s going to take away from the center stone. So then I thought very thin eternitiy, but too thin, might just be that..too thin. So now I''m back to a cathedral Tiffany solitaire. I tried one on this morning on a 1.50 center. and I thought it was very nice and elegant. I though yay, I think I found it! but I keep going back and forth. BTW. My finger is a size 4. I want the "oohh, wow" look. Sorry to be so vain...so please ladies help steer me in the right direction, since I think I have until Thursday. Unless to prolong it and do it when we get back.....which means I may posibbly,,postpone a proposal..if that''s what he has in mind this weekend...who knows...I think he''s tired of my obsession with the stone and the setting! Help me ladies....
23.gif
23.gif
20.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a classic solitaire like Harriet's Leon Mege and then you could add a couple of pave bands on either side for the extra bling. Or a larger, say stones with 10 pointers for an eternity wedding band?

HLM1.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like the look of baguettes on the sides? Something like Cartier''s Solitaire 1895. It''s "medium" blingy look that doesn''t take away from the center stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also, love the Ritani endless love solitaire like Butterfly has:

127_2702%20(2).JPG

127_2761%20(2).JPG

127_2744%20(2).JPG

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
First of all, I have to tell you I was so excited for you I read that with one breath. Whew. Did you write it in one?

The best advice I can offer you is don''t overanalyze your decision. (trust me I am still in the midst of my decision and it has been awhile!) What is your most favorite look? Which one made you say Whoa! I love that?

You mentioned your finger is a 4, your stone is a 2 carat...it is going to look like a boulder! If you want it to look like the rock of Gibraltar...you halo. It won''t take from it...but it will add to it. But you have to really love a halo, as most only allow you to look at the table top of the stone. The girdle and some of the pavillion will be unseen. Which will effect the performance. But on the other hand...it will cover more of your delicate little itty bitty fairy sized finger.
30.gif

The solitaire is timeless and classic...and for some that are more edgy they may consider a solitaire as settling on simplicity. I don''t see it that way, but you must rely on your feeling for that style. Most settings allow you to see the stone or more of it to the culet than the UFO halo design. I think a stone has many gifts of light to offer, and I like to allow it to breath more. So the solitaire with an open basket is for me.

I love the eternity too! They exude opulence as they are paved in diamonds. How will you wear this ring? Is your everyday life cohesive to a diamond paved ring? Were you planning on a wband anyway...what about a pair if your have the space?

You could always pave a solitaire halo and hit all three on list in one swoop.
2.gif
MrsSalvos advice on going solitaire is always great for an indecisive shopper. You are going to have more options...more variety in rings to wear with it. And if the solitaire is too plain for you in the future, you have spent the least and won''t feel so trapped to change your mind? Just trying to offer some thoughts to help your decision. What a fun place you are in!!! Have a happy time!

DKS

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
The Ritani is very beautiful, that''s one website I have not gone through... I like the 3 ring look, because they are very thin and elegant. My BF does not like the 3 ring. I like the solitaire because it is very elegant, yet classy, yet simple..I''m trying to think if it''s too simple, but maybe not.
Door Knob Solitaire..you made me laugh with the rock of gibraltar..that was funny...I guess for me that would look gorgeous, but even I feel that I can''t pull that one off. Trust me, I''ve seen some BIG halo settings of that sort...they were gorgeous, but the eyes seemed to focus on the ring in it''s entirety, and not so much on the stone...I won''t be using my hands much for work, but I like the idea of having an 8-10 ptr eternity band , which I can wear alone. A part of me feels that if I do go with a solitaire setting, this is something they could size for me on the spot...I think.....and set it...where if I choose something a little more complicated it would take about a week...too bad I can''t ask my BF,"do you need this ring for this weekend or??????"
3.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hopefully you will have this setting a long time and you would hate to look back and feel you chose it in too much of a hurry. I worry about this from reading your post. If you think he will propose this weekend how about getting a simple solitaire, not too expensive in white or yellow gold whatever you prefer. Then if you decide later on a different setting you will only have tied up a few hundred bucks in the "temporary" setting.

What I would do long term, given your stone (awesome!!) and finger size (tiny) would be a thin solitaire that was very well made, and then a nice eternity band! But you definitely want to take the time to shop around for just the right thing.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Wow I hear you louisvgirl, you sound like me. I can''t make a decision and I''ve been at this for a year! I go through the same cycles as you: I like simple, I want the center to stand out, but oh, I want ''Wow'' factor so maybe a halo, but then the center gets lost but then......etc.....

I agree with TanDogMom, you don''t want to make this decision in a hurry unless there is something that makes your heart stop for a beat. And reading what you are like, I don''t think there will be before next weekend. So maybe go the temp setting route. I did that with WF, got the 4 prong WG solitaire for $195 and boy was I surprised how great it looked. Totally NOT cheap or cheesy. Really good enough to wear around with pride until you find ''the one''!

Hey good luck and I hope this weekend in Vegas is what you are hoping for!!!

a

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi Angeline,
I was going to go with $195 ORIGINALLY!! I have not ruled it out....solitaire....too many decisions....TOO MANY CHOICES!!! Unfortunately my BF does not believe in upgrades whatsoever...stone nor setting.....hence the size of the stone...no room for upgrade...well there is room...but not in my house.
6.gif

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
That Ritani set of Butterfly''s is gorgeous! It''s giving me ideas for my wedding band...

I think it''s definitely important not to make a decision in a hurry, even though of course you want to have the ring ASAP. I almost got a different ring because I really wanted to have my ring ASAP (FI proposed only with the stone, no temp. setting) and I''m so glad I waited and thought about it more because I really love my ring and am so happy with it.

I just saw this Leon setting recently, maybe it''s a way to have a bit more bling without a total halo look. I am not sure about the 2 side teardrops, I might like it better without but it''s a very gorgeous setting, and really focuses your eye on the center stone.

Leon-round.jpg

schmoopykitty

Rough_Rock
another solitaire style (6-prong) with pave band from Leon

leon-tulip.jpg

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Michael B? michaelbjewlery.com. seriously yum!

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
I just finished looking at the ritani website. There a few there I like. I haven''t checked out Michael B. that one is next. I have a bridal magazine with his rings on the back cover...BEAUTIFUL......It''s funny because all I do now when I go out, is look at women''s wedding rings. I was at Starbucks and starring at a ladies ring, I hope I wasn''t making it obvious..they might think I''m going to stalk them!
39.gif

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 12:43:25 AM
Author: schmoopykitty
another solitaire style (6-prong) with pave band from Leon
I vote something like schmoopkitty posted above. I love a thin band with the small diamonds that give it that extra bling, and it's a Leon Mege!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooo, my tummy is all in knots - please, please don''t rush picking a setting!! i''m excited for you that the proposal might come during the trip and i understand wanting the ring to be in place if that''s his plan, but from your post i don''t think in the long run you would be completely happy - thrilled - with a setting you pick on the fly! ESPECIALLY since you already know your future-FI is not open to changing the setting!! if his plan is to propose during the vegas trip, let him do it with a twist tie and take your time finding the setting that makes your heart sing as much as he does.

if it were me, and i had a 2ct rock coming my way, the leon mege solitaire would make my toes curl. it is so simple, yet he captures elegance and beauty with it like no other i''ve seen, and with a 2ct..... oh my! the proportions and curves would be just delish! aaaannnnd as everyone has pointed out already, you will have so many gorgeous choices to pair it with - diamond eternity, pave band, plain band.......

oh, and there is always mark morrell''s flame, hybrid, or sunburst. i''ve lusted over those for a long time too.... though for a 2ct leon''s solitaire has captured me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results