shape
carat
color
clarity

2.04 Ct. Princess Cut -Deal or No Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
Shape: Princess
Measurement: 6.90-6.89 X 5.07mm
Weight: 2.04 Cts.
Color: F
Clarity: SI 1
Depth: 73.60
Table: 70.00
Girdle: Thin-Very Thick
Culet: N
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: N
Lab: GIA - (I can get the certificate number if you need it)

I have viewed this diamond in person and it is absolutely beautiful...then again it would be difficult for me to distinguish between a good diamond and a great diamond.

Verragio setting= ~ $3500
Diamond lists price was $15,000; Jeweler said $14,000 would be possible w/o me haggling over the price. Note: Jeweler knew my budget was $15k for diamond and setting and still brought out this diamond. I have not started the negotiation phase, yet that is if there is one...but someone once told me that everything in life is negotiable.

1) Do you think this is a very good diamond? Anything odd jump out at you regarding the specs?

2) What about total price for the designer band, diamond & tax (6.25%).. is $16,500 doable?
They probably can''t budge on the setting since it is a designer piece, but if he brought the price of the diamond down to $12,000 the total would be roughly $16,500. I am sure they anticipate individuals to negotiate the price. My question is what should be realistic expectations.

Note: This was not a mall store, it is a very reputable jewelry store in my area.

Thank you in advance for helping me during this nervous time!!!!!!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Experts round here like to know pavillion and crown angles and heights.

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
I don''t know anything about pavilion or crown height. Anyone got an opinion on this diamond?

gtn

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know the answer to your question, I wish I did, but you might be able to get more information from the GIA report. get the number so the experts here can help.

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
GIA #: 15592808

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
Still no input? Did I do something wrong with my post? I need guidance, because I really don''t know what I am doing.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I'm not a princess expert but I thought I would try to help you a little before you go out and buy an ugly princess cut. I keep trying to do a search on princess cuts on here but it keeps giving me an error. With that said, I do remember a website that may help you grade the princess cut. Here it is:

http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp

It seems like a pretty nice stone.

you can do a search by cut above to see if you are in the right price range.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
what kind of inclusions does the diamond have?

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
The GIA Cert shows: Crystal, Cloud, Cavity, and Natural in the Key so I guess those are the inclusions. When look at it with the 10x loop it was hard for me to see, then again I had a hard time seeing the inclusions with most of the diamonds the guy was showing me.

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
The appriaser chart showed this cut as a 1B (Premium Cut) using the specs for the stone. Where can I go to see what a 2ct. F, SI 1 stone in this cut could be negotiated down to?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 10:39:58 PM
Author: Sleepdeprived
The appriaser chart showed this cut as a 1B (Premium Cut) using the specs for the stone. Where can I go to see what a 2ct. F, SI 1 stone in this cut could be negotiated down to?
I don''t think there''s a location for that, but I think if you get it for $14,000 you would have gotten a very good deal. Here''s a diamond with similar specs like yours:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1067809.asp

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
Considering the markup in the diamond industry of 300-400%, so I have been told.... would the expectation of getting this stone for $12,000 be unreasonable/unrealistic, seeing how I will also be purchasing a $3500 designer setting from them to house the stone. Not to mention, that such deviation in price would go a long way in developing a longtime customer fo that local jeweler.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 11:01:09 PM
Considering the markup in the diamond industry of 300-400%, so I have been told.... would the expectation of getting this stone for $12,000 be unreasonable/unrealistic, seeing how I will also be purchasing a $3500 designer setting from them to house the stone. Not to mention, that such deviation in price would go a long way in developing a longtime customer fo that local jeweler.

Maybe the inflated markup...but the margins are a LOT smaller than that generally, at least from dealer to consumer. I think I have heard more along the lines of 10% but don''t quote me on that. But 3-400% is in no way accurate...

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/1/2007 11:04:57 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 11/1/2007 11:01:09 PM

Maybe the inflated markup...but the margins are a LOT smaller than that generally, at least from dealer to consumer. I think I have heard more along the lines of 10% but don''t quote me on that. But 3-400% is in no way accurate...
It is hard for me to believe that a jeweler''s cost on a diamond is 10% below the sales price. How could they stay in business? I really don''t know as my knowledge of this industry is rather limited. That is why I am relying on the good ol'' PS folks to lend the helping hand. So far you guys have been great. Don''t appraisers/jewelers help out with opinions in these forums.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think I read on here once that it was 25%and up for a B&M but I could be wrong. Certainely far away from 300-400% markup.

Sleepdeprived

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the replies thus far....anyone else want to weigh in on the question? I am certainly glad there is a community out there that can help with these big purchases!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results