shape
carat
color
clarity

I have until SATURDAY

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

louisvgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, I am so confused at this point. We have a ring on hold until Saturday and I don''t know what to do. It is a 3-stone princess cut with trillions. Center stone is:

1.57 VS1 "I"

6.51x6.28x4.67mm

Depth: 74.4

Table 71%

Girdle Thin-slightly thick

polish: vg

symmetry: vg

culet: none

flour: none

the trillions are .29 each, vvs2 "I". So the entire ring is 2.15ctw. I''m a size 4. I''m going after the "wow" factor. I''d be thrilled with a 2ct, but that is not within our budget. So now I''m contemplating a 1.5 ''ish - 1.6''sh solitaire. I know that this center shows up a lot bigger, but would it give me that "size" factor that I''m looking for. I can honestly admit, shamefully, that I am a "size" girl. My BF doesn''t believe in "upgrading" and basically says that this is a one time shot. (he feels it''s rude and inconsiderate to upgrade, that''s his opinion) which I can respect. So this is why I''m torn. I''m becoming a little, no a lot obsessed with ps and whiteflash. I have spent HOURS UPON HOURS, doing my homework..If he knew this, he would think I was crazy!!! Our budget is 11k. The princess above is 9500.00 plus tax., so for the $$$ we think it is a pretty good deal. (I used the gemappraisers old tool grade and it measured at a 1A grade.) Know I''m worrying about "shrinkage" and "color". Like I said, I only get one shot at this, and I want to make the absolute right decision. I keep going back and forth on this. This ring does go from one side of my finger to the other but the center spreads only 6.51x6.28. By doing research, a 1.5 spreads about 7.40x7.43!! To everyone who can help me out. What is your honest opinion? I feel so bad that I''m being so "foo,foo", but it is a lot of money, and I want to be happy with my "bling,bling". All of your comments, would be so appreciated.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
If you really want to maximize size, I would stay away from square shapes. I have a 2.25 carat asscher that faces up the same size as a 1.35 carat round, and am thinking of trading to a round stone to mazimize size & sparkle.

The smallest facing up stones are the squared cuts, because they are the deepest. So princesses, asschers, square radiants, and square cushions look the smallest for their carat weights of any shapes.

You should look at either a round or elongated shape (oval, pear, marquise, or even elongated cushion or radiant) to mazimize spread. One of my friends has a 1.25 carat oval with pear sidestones that looks like it''s about twice the size of my ring, and covers her whole finger.

I think a round or oval with side pears would look really blingy, or even a rectangular radiant with trilliants if you really like the squared look. Don''t do a step cut.

You really get the best spread from pears and marquises, but I know they''re not for everyone. Katherine Heigl from Grey''s Anatomy has a GORGEOUS pear stone (check out the clelebrity ring thread) and I''ve seen gorgeous marquises either set east-west like Catherine Zeta-Jones, or traditionally set with side pears that are gorgeous.

I was hell-bent on getting a square cut, but everyone thought my asscher was only around a carat, and it drove my crazy so I upgraded. Even with the bigger one, it still looks much smaller, and that goes for all square cuts, so you really may be disappointed with a square once shrinkage sets in, and it always does. You do have a really small finger, though, so that definitely helps with spread.

Good luck, and congrats on your engagement - I''m sure that whatever you get will be gorgeous!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ditto everything vesper says regarding square stones looking smaller than rounds, pears, etc. I also wonder if you should think about spending almost all of your $11000 budget on the diamond and getting the cheapest setting possible (think $200 WG solitaire) since your bf doesn''t want you to upgrade the center stone ever. Then you could get a more intricate setting later with sidestones, etc.

I doubt he would mind that, although I''m totally assuming here. I think it''s pretty reasonable to change setting styles b/c those tend to go in and out of fashion or even just wear out eventually. (Think of the chunky yellow gold settings you''ve seen-although some are pretty, it''s a total 80''s alert!)

Take a deep breath and think about what type of diamond will make you happy to have for years. If it''s a princess (and that''s totally fine-I have a square radiant and I wanted it even though it faces up smaller than a round!) then go for the princess, regardless of spread. It''s going to look huge on your tiny finger anyway! If you really could go either way regarding shape, maybe go for a round diamond, then, to maximize spread. And if you''re anti-round but you love fancy shapes, think about getting an oval or a pear to REALLY maximize the bling factor.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
P.S. Don''t worry about the ring you have on hold-that''s a common size princess cut and a common setting style, so if that one gets sold, so be it. You''ll be able to duplicate it. You should really take your time and get exactly what you want.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with everything that thing20f2 said.

I would also add not to worry about a lower color like an I or J, but maybe you would want to find one with blue flourescence - it will make the diamond look whiter.

I also like the idea of spending the money on the diamond with a simple setting that you can upgrade later ...

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
yes, take your time. go for the biggest rock you can get for the money and do what they are advising re: the setting. go round or oval. you should be able to get a gorgeous stone w/in your price range and shop the vendors here.

have fun and don''t let an artificial deadline pressure you. too many have felt pressured by others, then regret. you don''t want that.

princessleia

Rough_Rock
Also, since you seem to like the square look of a princess, you can set a round in 4 prongs and get the size of a round in a "soft square" look....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results