shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED A FABULOUS DINNER RECIPE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
Ok many of you know what happened with my fiance and I. Well I have been seeing someone for about a month (had 5 or 6 dates but not exclusive or serious yet) and tomorow I am house sitting so instead of going out and spending more of his money I suggested I would cook for us. Well I am drawing a complete blank and cannot think of a single dish to cook and now im in panic mode. I need suggestions of everyone''s favorite dishes and recipes. He said to surprise him and joked that is "better be finger licking good" so im soooo nervous. I do know from our few dates that he HATED mushrooms so anything with those are out and he is latino so spicy can be a good thing. PLEASE LADIES AND GENTS IM BEGGING FOR YOUR HELP. Things are going pretty fabulous with us so far and I would really like to WOW him with something nice. SO BRING ON THE FABULOUS RECIPES!!!!
THANKS

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to make chicken a lot so this is one of my go to recipes. Awesome with a side of saffron orzo. You could even make a white wine sauce to go over the chicken.

The lemon rind is crucial - it really zings up the filling!!!

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Artichokes, Lemon, and Goat Cheese

2 1/2 Tbs seasoned breadcrumbs (Italian style or garlic works well)
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
6 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
3 oz herbed goat cheese, softened (I use plain goat cheese and it works well)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine first six ingredients in a bowl, stirring well.
Pound chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper using a meat mallet to tenderize and thin out chicken.
Top each breast with 2 Tbs cheese mixture and roll up chicken in jelly roll fashion. Tuck in sides, fasten with tooth picks.
Heat a nonstick skillet and coat with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook 3 minutes per side to brown.
Wrap handle of skillet with tin foil and bake entire thing in oven for 15 minutes or until chicken is done.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Saffron Orzo

4 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1 pound dried orzo
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
In a large pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, bringing the stock to a simmer. Add the saffron, stir, and allow the saffron to bloom, about 5 minutes. Return the heat to medium and the stock to a boil, then add the orzo and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain orzo and transfer to a large bowl. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and parsley. Toss to combine.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
He said finger lickin good...so that is what I would get him. A 10 piece bucket with two sides!!
2.gif

Not sure if you are asking for a recipe or a menu. Firegoddess gave you some great recipes. If you can find saffron...I bet her recipes are really great!!

I am a non meat eater...so maybe my recipes will be best on your third date? If however you are asking for a menu...I would grill marinated...in deep spice some hunk of flesh and combine it on a stick. Kabobs are elegant and easy. You prepare ahead of time...and this is your first display of efficiency in a kitchen I would make it look as effortless as possible. Add some pasta primavera/fettucine Alfredo...crusty bread...maybe a salad...spring mix, avocado, balsamic vinegar with grilled Halloumi cheese. You grill it along with the kabobs. The cheese will have a manly smokey flavor and cool grill marks...OR stuff a pablano chili with cheese and char grill it-place it on the hunk of what ever or on top of a salad.

Follow with a cheesecake with fresh raspberries and sauce or a caramel sauce...or a 4 layer chocolate cake.

Hmmm...tell us more about HIM!!

DKS

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, how comfortable are you in the kitchen?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know what he likes to eat? What type of food or restaurants??

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with DKS...keep it simple.

I do find though, that COURSES seem to impress people for some reason. So I''d suggest the following...

Start off with a lovely cocktail.

First course, mixed greens as DKS suggested. Add a few fancy fixings, like maybe candied pecans (although I personally hate them on salads) or exotic cheese shavings. Make it simple, but a party in your mouth! I have two very good dressing recipes from scratch that are super easy to make. One balsamic vinegar based and the other champagne vinegar based. Let me know if you are interested.

Second course - Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce. The key is to only serve a small portion or there won''t be room for the third course!

This is the EASIEST recipe to make. And it is absolutely fantastic. It makes a lot so you can try to half it. BE SURE to use crushed tomatoes...don''t substitute with diced or sauce or anything else. Use CRUSHED.

-Saute 2 shallots and 3 cloves garlic in a saute pan
-Add in 1 cup vodka. Reduce to half cup
-Add in one can crushed tomatoes, 28 oz. Add chili pepper flakes (I add a few dashes for some kick!). Simmer in med-low for 20 minutes.
-Remove from heat. Slowly stir in one cup of heavy cream (don''t skimp here...use the heavy cream...no half and half or anything). Add a bit of salt if you think it needs it.

Serve with penne done al dente. Top with sauce, parmesan cheese shavings and garnish with parsely.

For the third course I''d recommend (again) something simple. Some small filet mignon steaks grilled (you can even wrap with bacon). I find that salt, pepper, and a bit of montreal steak seasoning (go easy on the salt if you use this since it has salt) turns out great. You can do a fab side dish of potatoes to jazz it up. If you''re not a pro in the kitchen, use a meat thermometer...it helps. If he actually wants it medium well to well done (sacrilege!) then butterfly the filet.

Dessert...agree with DKS...store bought cheesecake with fresh berries. One of my fav things to do when berries were in season was to mix strawberries, blueberries and blackberries with a tablespoon or two of VERY GOOD balsamic vinegar (the one I use is about $25 for a small bottle). If it''s not as good vinegar, you can add a little sugar too. Marinate in the fridge for at least a couple of hours. It sounds strange, but it''s awesome. And good vinegar is so sweet, it''s practically dessert on its own.

Good luck!

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
I''m pretty comfortable in a kitchen and willing to try new things:

As for the food he likes

Date 1: we had a appetizer combo then he ordered Steak and loaded mashed potatoes

Date 2: Applebee''s chicken alfredo bowl

Date 3: hmmm nope no dinner that night

Date 4: Chicken in a white wine sauce with peppers and tomatoes and stuff with linguine

so he was kinda all over the place...... bring on the suggestions

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 7:36:12 PM
Author: DiamondSmitten

As for the food he likes

Date 1: we had a appetizer combo then he ordered Steak and loaded mashed potatoes

Date 4: Chicken in a white wine sauce with peppers and tomatoes and stuff with linguine

Heehee....how was the dessert
27.gif
.... Ug, forgive me I''m naughty.

On the more serious side, he appears to like somewhat classic dishes from what he is ordering. How about a pot roast with veggies and a starch?

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 7:59:07 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 9/28/2007 7:36:12 PM
Author: DiamondSmitten

As for the food he likes

27.gif

On the more serious side, he appears to like somewhat classic dishes from what he is ordering. How about a pot roast with veggies and a starch?
Ha ur quite funny.... we saw a movie and took a walk.... cheesy I know... but I like cheesy..... eek I can''t beleive I''m so nervous over a dinner... but he is so fabulous and SOOOO different than anyone I have ever dated I would hate to disapoint....

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, do you have access or own a grill? if so, I would suggest fajitas...you can maybe look into making tortillas from scratch and chop up veggies and meats for him to "help" you grill! Make a fab Sangria, white or red, and have his fave beer on hand...dessert could be flan or something similar you could pick up from a nearby Mex. restaurant....jmo, but I think if you at least went to the trouble of trying to learn to make flour or corn tortillas he would be verrrry impressed. Sorry, I have no recipes to offer!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

27.gif

That sounds good.

I agree, he doesn''t seem to go for really fancy stuff....I keep thinking "finger licking good", do you do fried chicken? That with a veg, mashed potatoes and milk gravy might speak to him. It''s "real" home cooking, which I think a lot of men like...Just a thought.

Whatever you do, I''m sure it will be fine. And I am just SO happy you are out and about, and have found someone who you seem to enjoy.
36.gif

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
You want to give him a real "homecooked" meal - then in a roaster add chicken pieces along with a couple of por chops - sprinkle one pakage of onion soup mix over meat with a little water added so meat does not stick - wash new potatoes and use small to mediums and a bag of baby carrots...put in on top of meat and roast at 300 for oh I would say a couple of hours - makes the meat very tender and vegies are roasted, and it is only one pot to clean ;} giggle
My dad loooves this...great for taht meat and taters guy - and if you have enough liquid you can make some gravy :}
Just my 2c ;}
All teh best :}

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
DS:: you got lots of ideas already, so I won''t post any more.Just realax and enjoy the moment..have fun..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2007 9:26:18 AM
Author: Ellen

27.gif

That sounds good.

I agree, he doesn''t seem to go for really fancy stuff....I keep thinking ''finger licking good'', do you do fried chicken? That with a veg, mashed potatoes and milk gravy might speak to him. It''s ''real'' home cooking, which I think a lot of men like...Just a thought.

Whatever you do, I''m sure it will be fine. And I am just SO happy you are out and about, and have found someone who you seem to enjoy.
36.gif
Please M''aam, what is milk gravy and how does one make it?
25.gif
I have seen a white saucish looking stuff on some fried chicken, so I am assuming that is it?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Keep it comin'', ladies. These recipes sound great. I''m going to try them all on my family as we''re getting tired of my old regulars!! The chicken, the orzo,
the vodka cream sauce and that berry and vinager combo. Oh, and the chicken and pork chop roast, interestisng combo! Yum

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2007 11:51:25 AM
Author: wifey2b
You want to give him a real ''homecooked'' meal - then in a roaster add chicken pieces along with a couple of por chops - sprinkle one pakage of onion soup mix over meat with a little water added so meat does not stick - wash new potatoes and use small to mediums and a bag of baby carrots...put in on top of meat and roast at 300 for oh I would say a couple of hours - makes the meat very tender and vegies are roasted, and it is only one pot to clean ;} giggle
My dad loooves this...great for taht meat and taters guy - and if you have enough liquid you can make some gravy :}
Just my 2c ;}
All teh best :}
That sounds yummy!!!
18.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
These are not traditional enchiladas but they are always a hit. I''ve made them repeatedly and always get compliments and requests for the recipe. I think I got the recipe from Bon Apetit or Epicurious, can''t recall.

Chicken Enchiladas

Ingredients
1 16-ounce container light sour cream
1 7-ounce can diced green chilies
4 large green onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cups diced cooked chicken
2 cups packed grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)

8 8-inch-diameter flour tortillas
1 8-ounce package light cream cheese, cut lengthwise into 8 strips
1 1/2 16-ounce bottles mild picante sauce or salsa

Additional chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Preperation
Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix 1 3/4 cups sour cream, chilies, green onions, 1/2 cup cilantro and cumin in large bowl. Mix in chicken and 1 cup cheddar cheese. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon generous 1/2 cup filling down center of each tortilla. Top filling with cream cheese strip. Roll up each tortilla, enclosing filling. Arrange enchiladas seam side down in prepared dish. (Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour picante sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake until sauce bubbles and enchiladas are heated through, about 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese and bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.

Top with remaining sour cream. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.

I''d serve them with a salad and some spanish rice.

Whatever you make, let us know how it goes!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I visit a fantastic cooking blog called Barebones BBQ Blog when I need inspiration.

A couple of my favourites are the Greek Chicken and the Prosciutto and fontine stuffed chicken on page 2.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, how did your dinner go???

Miss Lorelei, I can't believe you've never had milk gravy. Honestly, I'm thinking I need to make a trip over there and teach you some 'Merican cookin! Wouldn't that be fun?!
41.gif

Actually, it would be easier to show you. lol I don't have an actual recipe, I just make it like my mom showed me....But I'll try.

Say you fried chicken (in whatever, oil, shortening, etc.). After it's done, remove chicky, and pour off all but about 2 tbsp. of grease. Put a very low fire under it, and add seasoned flour (salt & pepper), a little bit at a time (so you don't get clumps) by sprinkling it across the grease instead of dumping in one pile. Stir immediately until well incorporated. Keep doing this until you have a nice paste, but that's where it gets tricky. You don't want a thick, heavy, gloppy (is that a real word??) paste, just a nice paste that still moves around when you stir it. However, you don't want it too runny either, because then the gravy might turn out a bit greasy. See why I wanted to show you?
9.gif

When you get it the right consistency, continue stirring for just a bit (about a minute, maybe less), you want to cook a bit of the flour taste out, but you do NOT want the flour to begin browning. Then add about 3 c. milk (I use 2%, but whole will work too, even better), give or take a bit (I warm it in the microwave first to get the chill off, just cuz it helps it cook a bit faster, but you don't have to), stirring as you pour it in and continue stirring over med. low ish heat, until it thickens up. This gravy is served a bit thicker than say pot roast gravy. Check and see if it needs more salt/pepper before serving.

And some here do put it on their chicken as well as the taters, but I don't. It's not real diet friendy.
11.gif

I hope this helped.
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That did help, thank ye ever so much Miss Ellen!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am going to print out your method so I can try it next time we have fried chickie!!! Hubby WILL be pleased!
3.gif

Any time you want to come over to teach me how to make miluk gravy, you would be more than welcome!! We could have a blast....
emotion-19.gif
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 10:23:32 AM
Author: Lorelei
That did help, thank ye ever so much Miss Ellen!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I am going to print out your method so I can try it next time we have fried chickie!!! Hubby WILL be pleased!
3.gif

Any time you want to come over to teach me how to make miluk gravy, you would be more than welcome!! We could have a blast....
emotion-19.gif
9.gif
Yay!
36.gif
You are most welcome!

And I am waiting for the weather to cool off a bit (it was 89 here yesterday
23.gif
) so I can make a roast and try your tater recipe.
3.gif
2.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, you''ve been given a lot of really great ideas but here''s one more:

Menu:

Make a good margarita & chips & salsa for before dinner
Saffron rice (I use the packaged kind but you could make it like suggested and it would be WAY better)
Spicey black beans
Fried plantains
Chicken with brazillion tomato coconut sauce (see recipe below) (I make the sauce the day before & reheat. I usually puree it too.)
Dessert--grilled pineapples over icecream (your choice of flavor)

Next, I think I''d do a practice run of whatever recipes you choose. Good luck!

Grilled Chicken with Spicy Brazilian Tomato and Coconut Sauce

Servings:4
Ingredients:
4 tablespoons cooking oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 chicken (3 to 3 1/2 pounds), quartered
3/4 teaspoon saltFresh-ground black pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and ribs removed, minced
1 1/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley

Steps: 1. Light the grill. In a shallow dish, combine 3 tablespoons of the oil with two-thirds of the minced garlic. Coat the chicken with half of the garlic oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Grill the chicken over moderately high heat, basting with the remaining garlic oil, until just done, about 10 minutes per side for the breasts, 13 for the legs.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining garlic, the ginger, and the jalapeños, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, the coconut milk, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and serve with the chicken.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t believe that none of the PS ladies have suggested "Engagement Chicken" yet! I''ve made this for the past 3 or 4 bfs I''ve had and the last one is now my FI! I''ve never had this recipe turn out badly.

1 whole chicken (approx. 3 lb.)
2 medium lemons
1/2 stick of butter
Fresh lemon juice (1/2 cup)
Thyme or sage-optional
1 cloves of garlic
1 small onion
Kosher or sea salt
Ground black pepper

Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Wash chicken inside and out with cold water, remove the giblets, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temp (about 15 minutes). Pat dry with paper towels. Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (inside and outside). Season with salt and pepper. Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity. (Tip: If lemons are hard, roll on countertop with your palm to get juices flowing.) Place garlic cloves and onion inside bird as well. I also rub butter under and over the skin of the bird. Sometimes I put herbs under the skin as well sage and thyme work well.
Place the bird breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan, lower heat to 350 degrees and bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn it breast-side up (use wooden spoons!); return it to oven for 35 minutes more. Test for doneness—a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 180 degrees, or juices should run clear when chicken is pricked with a fork. Continue baking if necessary. Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving. Serve with juices.

I usually serve this with garlic mashed potatoes or roasted red potatoes. Green beans or roasted aspearagus are good veggies to serve.

I''ll leave dessert up to you...

DiamondSmitten

Shiny_Rock
Well.... he went to lunch with his nephew... ate a burger that wasn''t cooked all the way.... and was too sick to eat anything saturday night.... so my romanti dinner will have to come another time... but I CAN"T WAIT to try some of those.... I printed them out and my mother and I cant decide what to choose first....thanks for all ur help

on the upside... he came over even though he wasnt feeling great just to spend time with me..... he is so sweet and compassionate.... I feel pretty blessed right now....

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Please share what you made and how the date went!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results