shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Law Enforcement Solicit Funds by Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We just got a land line. We keep getting calls from our State or Local "Law Enforcement" through unlisted numbers asking for donations. This doesn''t sound right to me. Any info?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I used to get those too. I never questioned their authenticity since I wasn''t going to donate. If you would like to donate, ask them to mail you written information (though that gives them your address), or tell them you''ll contact the agency directly if they give you specifics on which one they are calling from (look up the phone number on your own).

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Fraternal Order of Police does solicit in my area (Chicago), and it is legitimate. (I used to date a police sargent, and two of my current client are police officers, so I've checked!) They will always offer you their name, badge number, and a call back number.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dee*Jay. I live in IL, too. I thought it was fishy. I wasn''t sure because we always donate to our local fire and ambulance departments. But, the person who called wasn''t a local officer, and didn''t offer any other info besides trying to sign us up for a donation.

Laine~ good idea on telling them you''ll call the agency directly.

thanks!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somethingshiny - did they identify themselves as calling from the Fraternal Order of Police or some other entity? I suppose there could obviously be different organizations in different geographic areas (not sure wehre you are in IL), but the FOoP is the only one I know of. The unlisted number thing does sound weird to me though; maybe they make the calls from home so as not to take up work time? I never asked that question, but I will the next time I talk to one of my clients.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve gotten those calls, but it always shows up on caller ID as from being from the FOP. Maybe they do solicit from home, but that hasn''t happened to me...

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My DH answered the phone. He said they said something about Police and Sheriff fund. However, our Sheriff is at our local department, and like I said, it wasn''t one of our local officers who called.

When you find out about the unlisted number, please post your info. Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to get those calls as well...I would always tell them I don''t do any donations over the phone and to send something written and I would consider donating at that point. Never did receive anything from them...
20.gif
Anyone legitimate, like DeeJay mentioned, would give you a call back number and badge number and not be all high-pressure about the matter.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Yep. Get the calls too. It is legit...the procedure anyway. Not sure if yours is specifically...ask for a call back number or as previously suggested...a mailer. That way you don''t actually get on the refusal/blackball list. You can then politely explain you are on the no call list...and to please make all future contacts/requests via usps.

DKS

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a common practice in my area, and my mom once worked for a fundrasing firm (selling garbage bags with the profit going to support the local police dept).

There are two forms of this though. In one form it will actually be offduty police officers and their families making the calls. In those cases about 90% of the money goes to the police or sherrifs department (and about 10% covers phone and other fundraising cost).

In the other form a profesional fundraising firm contracts with the police or sherrif department to raise funds for them. In these cases only about 15% - 20% goes to the police or sherrifs. Fundraising does cost money and the company does have to make a profit.

It is worth asking exactly who the person calling you is and whom do they work for to sort out which kind of call you are getting. I tend to decline in the second case. I try to target my giving to orginizations that have minimal fundrasing and administration cost.

As far as where they get your phone number from: because they are raising money for a charity - these organizations are exempt from the do not call list (and can even use the do not call list as a source of phone numbers).

Perry

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
unlisted number just means its not in the phone book they still sell the number to anyone that wants it.
If you pay for an unpublished number then they wont sell it but it costs you $5 or so a month. (terms vary per phone company.. ask)

Most of the time its a call center firm calling and the org gets very little of the money.
I never make donations over the phone and usually don''t bother even answering.

If you want 0 calls then get a fax line and use it as your primary line and just put an answering machine on the other and check it every week or so unless your expecting a call.
Only give the other number to people you actualy want too talk too and never to an business or office.
Or do what I do, my home line is the cheapest possible and just has an answering machine on it and anyone that I actualy want too talk too that isnt a business gets my cell #.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results