shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat Allergies?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Do any of you have a cat even though you suffer from cat allergies? I posted in another thread about possibly getting a pet when we move into our new condo, and the consensus was pretty much either get two adult small dogs... or a cat if possible. I know our lifestyle would be more conducive to a cat, but my DH''s allergies are not. He does not have asthma or any respiratory problems such as that. I suffer from asthma, but my allergies to cats are livable.... and I REALLY would like a kitty! Is there any hope? Suggestions?? Thanks!

*M*

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
There is a whole thread somewhere about cats and allergies. (and what you can use on the cats) I''m not sure if I would want to go through all that if I knew ahead of time that someone in my family had allergies.

That being said, my DH has cat allergies. We did not know that when we got the cats. He has seen an allergist who said he has built up somewhat of a tolerance to ours. He also takes Allergra which helps the congestion.

If I can find that thread I''ll post it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had cats for years before our youngest came along and had allergies. We didn''t have the heart to get rid of the cats, so she stayed congested all the time. After the cats both died of old age, I wouldn''t allow any more indoor cats. She has had far fewer problems. I wouldn''t get an indoor cat knowing that someone has allergies.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Well, I''m not trying to make either one of us suffer. My husband is also (depending on certain factors) allergic to dogs, and he wants one anyway. We really want a pet if possible, and I am trying to explore all avenues... so I guess this is another option. I do see your point about undue suffering though. I promise I am not trying to torture him... well, not too much
2.gif

*M*

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot the breed name but hairless cats are actually really sweet. They have thin hair that is so soft and love to cuddle (since they get cold easily). I have met 3. Two belonged to a friend of my brothers due to his father''s allergies. The third a family friend. They even make heated cat beds for them. They are a little odd looking but I think a great option for you.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/27/2007 11:33:53 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I forgot the breed name but hairless cats are actually really sweet. They have thin hair that is so soft and love to cuddle (since they get cold easily). I have met 3. Two belonged to a friend of my brothers due to his father''s allergies. The third a family friend. They even make heated cat beds for them. They are a little odd looking but I think a great option for you.
Tacori,

You''re speaking of Sphinx, correct?

Poptart, I do worry too that getting a cat when someone is known to be allergic is a recipe fpr disaster. Where does the cat end up if things don''t work out? No offense, but a thought.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could never have a cat growing up although I wanted to, because my mother suffered from feline allergies! When I was in Jr. H.S, though, a kitty came to our house and stole her heart so much that she named him (July, because he came to us in July) and let him in, and that was "all she wrote" so to speak. He ended up being her companion and soulmate even though she was quite allergic to him. He was an indoor/outdoor kitty, even though we had him neutered shortly after he started coming around. He was one of the nicest cats I''ve ever known, but died of FIV at the age of 15 a couple years ago. He gave my allergy-ridden mother many years of enjoyment and happiness...actually my parents also took on a kitten that one of my ex BF''s had given me when I went to college as well, he was just as loved as July. Mom never got allergy shots or anything, she just sort of sneezed and sniffled her way through things, I think she thought her allergies were intially worse than they turned out to be? HTh.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Both MIL and SIL are terribly allergic to pets - yet they have 2 cats (one long hair, one short hair) and a dog in the house. They both take allergy meds and don''t have problems (do need to vacuum often). Talk to a general physician or an allergist.

P.S. There is a new breed of cat out there now that is "allergy free" like a poodle or maltese, I think they cost in the neighborhood of 4k, I remember reading an article about it awhile back.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Well, I am terribly allergic to cats and dogs, and even though boyfriends had them, I never got "used" to them. We really wanted a pet, too, so we got a miniature dachshund, which are supposed to be hypo-allergenic! No problems with my asthma or allergies (unless he''s getting a bath!) yet!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Couple o' things...

Allerca is the new (supposed) "hypoallergenic" cats. www.allerca.com I think they are closer to 6K and the last I knew there was a 2 year waiting list. Not practical for most people, unfortunately.

Interestingly enough, people with true cat allergies will likely be allergic to (hairless) Sphynx cats, too. It's not the fur, but rather a protein in the cat's saliva that people are usually allergic to. The cat grooms itself, and the protein is distributed on its fur, then it dries and becomes airborne.

That being said, though, my DH is allergic to cats (suspected by symptoms, confirmed via allergy test), but he little to no symptoms with Boo, our ragdoll, whom we ADORE. Neither does he have symptoms with DD's moggie. But when we are at my sister's house (she has 3 cats) he has symptoms. The allergist said that most people with allergies have a certain "threshhold"... and apparently my husband's is less than 3 cats!
2.gif

But really, as Boo gets older, DH's symptoms get even less and less. The allergist also said that some people will literally develop a tolerance for that which they live with. I am so happy about that. I'd have really MISSED my husband if I'd have had to get rid of him!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

So Poptart, IF you can come up with a Plan B (a good home for it, if it doesn't work out with you)... I would think it would be worth a fighting chance to at least TRYYYYYY it with a cat? (JMHO, of course!) But I am shamelessly biased and think EVERY HOME should have a cat!
30.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2007 9:01:03 PM
Author: Lynn B
I am shamelessly biased and think EVERY HOME should have a cat!
30.gif

I agree! Our two cats give us so much love and happiness (cheesy I know!) I will be heart broken when something happens to them. They really ARE like our children. And I love their personalities. Also a extra bonus is they are so much easier to take care of than a dog!

Interesting about Sphynx cats. I thought they were good for allergies
33.gif
Guess not.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm allegric to mine.
9.gif
I can't imagine life without them though. So I deal with it. : ) I'm perrentially stuffed up, but I have developed a certain tollerance for them, and it bothers me only when I've been away in a cat free environment for a while.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Hi poptart. I have a sphynx, here is a link to my last discussion: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-else-out-there-have-a-sphynx.66522/

There are pictures in the link as well.

Like Lynn said, if your boyfriend is allergic to the saliva, he most likley will be allergic to a sphynx. I happen to be allergic to most cats, but I wasn''t to him. I usually find that I am more allergic to outdoor cats. I visited the breeder before I got him to make sure that I wouldn''t have a problem. My mom, however, is still allergic to him. I guess it depends on the person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results