shape
carat
color
clarity

yet another low color question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 2ct H with SB flourescence which looks very white to me. I am totally pleased with the color. Like in the other thread regarding trading in an asscher, I am thinking of shopping for a rb, too (pricescope is SUCH A BAD INFLUENCE
41.gif
). I have read that rb's face up a little less color and I would honestly be trading so I can get more size---how low in color can I go and get a similar effect as a H 2ct sq emerald w/ SB? Could I go as low as a J? Any input or should I just get my butt out there to a B&M and look? When I did a search there seemed to be a big price difference in going as low as a J......

I have a 7.3x7.3 and would like to get closer to 8mm.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2007 9:51:25 AM
Author:kellyfish
I have a 2ct H with SB flourescence which looks very white to me. I am totally pleased with the color. Like in the other thread regarding trading in an asscher, I am thinking of shopping for a rb, too (pricescope is SUCH A BAD INFLUENCE
41.gif
). I have read that rb''s face up a little less color and I would honestly be trading so I can get more size---how low in color can I go and get a similar effect as a H 2ct sq emerald w/ SB? Could I go as low as a J? Any input or should I just get my butt out there to a B&M and look? When I did a search there seemed to be a big price difference in going as low as a J......

Get thee to a local store and sample the ideal cuts in person. You need to see how far down YOU can go in color. I can''t tell you that. I haven''t seen your lovely H in person, so it''s just a letter to me.
2.gif
Ask for ideal cut stones and let them know you are just looking so that they don''t lose patience or think they have a sale when you are only window shopping right now.

shay

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
The B&M (mom & pop type) where I will be looking will actually be the place where the trade-in would occur. I feel a bit guilty about doing a trade-in as they called my current stone in especially for me as it is not a shape they have requested often in a 2ct. I've only had it 6 months, but have shrinkage already. My husband & I are business owners, too--and it pains me to think that the B&M would get stuck with an expensive piece of merchandise they cannot sell. Should I just get over it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you ARE paying for it AND it is within their upgrade/trade-in policy, so you shouldn''t feel an ounce of guilt. Plus if it''s what will make you happy, then I see no reason why you shouldn''t go for it.
11.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They will probably just turn around and put it on a listing and someother lucky person will have it called in and buy it.

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy,

Is that how it works? B&M''s have their own "virtual" type listing? I knew that they called in quite a few stones for me, but thought they were all coming from a cutter or some kind of middle-man.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2007 9:51:25 AM
Author:kellyfish
I have read that rb''s face up a little less color and I would honestly be trading so I can get more size---how low in color can I go and get a similar effect as a H 2ct sq emerald w/ SB? Could I go as low as a J?
I too think you need to see an RB "J" in person. Look at ones with FL and without. I had a "J" with no Fluor. and I could see color next to my G-H setting stones. My girlfriend has a "J" princess, and it''s beautiful. I don''t see any color in hers. (Hers is a solitaire), so there are no lighter color stones contrasting with it.
You will love the extra sparkle of an "Ideal" cut RB!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a K, and it also faces up white. It is 7.8 mm (1.77ct), and I have to say, set in a solitaire the way it is, I'm more often than not looking at one side view or another most of the time, and because of the size, the hint of colour is much more apparent that way. If it were set differently, this wouldn't be as much of an issue obviously, but the bigger you go, the easier it is to discern colour whether you're sensitive or not. That being said, I doubt many people would really notice the colour in a well cut J, from a reasonable distance, but *you* would be the one seeing it all the time if it bothered you. I expected to see colour in mine, and I'm okay with it, but my husband is not. He would rather go up to an I. (I think I'd rather go up to a J and 2 carats, but that's another story).
27.gif

ETA: Yes! Go to see in person, but make *sure* you are looking at very good/ideal cut stones vs. lower quality cuts. It makes all the difference. My K is very good to near ideal (as per appraisals).

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the stone is well cut, I think that J''s in this size still face up very white. As Gary mentioned, the side view color will be more noticeable. Look up Lynnb''s ring and Mara''s ring to get a feel for 2+ carat J stones. As others have mentioned seeing J''s in person will also help a great deal.

SpeedracerII

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/19/2007 11:05:41 AM
Author: kellyfish
The B&M (mom & pop type) where I will be looking will actually be the place where the trade-in would occur. I feel a bit guilty about doing a trade-in as they called my current stone in especially for me as it is not a shape they have requested often in a 2ct. I''ve only had it 6 months, but have shrinkage already. My husband & I are business owners, too--and it pains me to think that the B&M would get stuck with an expensive piece of merchandise they cannot sell. Should I just get over it?
Just how cold is that water????
9.gif

Well it is their trade in policy. Most of these policies will stipulate that you get a more expensive stone, and of course you might need a new setting, so in essence they will be selling you two rings in less than a year. Repeat business is good for them I would think. I''d also assume they have access to merchandise channels you do not and therefore might be able to re-sell the stone without a huge loss if at all. They will make up for it in the markup on the two stones and settings they are going to sell you.

An ideal cut J will look beautiful. Just make sure what you are looking at. We saw a lot of poorly cut J stones in our search and they didn''t look so hot.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d also look for a rb with flourescence. That will help the appearance of an I or J color stone. I would think an I with flourescence would be pretty safe.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I have an AGS-0 2.36 RB (color J) -- it''s gorgeous, and I ADORE it.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-gorgeous-new-fishtail-pave-set-from-wf.46129/

It''s also set in pave with ACA melee stones in F/G color, and it''s beautiful. Nobody could notice any "color difference" between the big stone and the pave stones, there''s too much size difference AND sparkle going on. My setting is pretty open, too, and the diamond is still plenty white, even from the side view.

I am all about well cut diamonds, and as big as possible!
31.gif
I would buy a J again in a heartbeat. My only caution to you (when comparing color) would be to be sure you are looking at well cut stones... I have seen "J" stones in mall stores that were painfully pee yellow.
14.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Miss Lynn, I just gotta say, as cute as your kitty is (and it is), I really miss your old av...
39.gif

And touching on lower colors, while I have no idea what the actual color is on my OMC, I know (especially from my enlarged pics) that it''s got to be well below a J I''d think. And yet, I''m shocked at how white it can face up. When it isn''t facing up white, it still doesn''t look yellow, even compared to my ideal cut G, just, darker, but not a lot.

So, I can only imagine how white an ideal cut, round J could look.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2007 10:27:43 AM
Author: Ellen
Miss Lynn, I just gotta say, as cute as your kitty is (and it is), I really miss your old av...
39.gif
Haha, Ellen...
I know, I miss it, too... but right now I am just lovin'' lookin'' at my little Boo!
30.gif
Wish we could have TWO avatars!!!! Aaaaaaandrey?????!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results