shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about markup

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

olympia

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
Does anybody have a feeling for what markup is in the industry for something like Tacori, Scott Kay, etc? I''m wondering what cost actually is for the stores.
Thanks much!
Olympia

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sometimes you can find Tacori at overstock.com for cheaper.

olympia

Rough_Rock
Thanks much! I should be more clear - I think I''ll be able to get settings at cost through a family member. I''m just trying to figure out what cost is - or about what it would be! ty!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2007 6:56:10 PM
Author: Skippy123
Tacori on Overstock? For some reason that sounds worrisome. Wouldn''t that be like buying a Tacori from an outlet mall
2.gif
? lol

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2007 7:49:30 PM
Author: MC

Date: 9/19/2007 6:56:10 PM
Author: Skippy123
Tacori on Overstock? For some reason that sounds worrisome. Wouldn''t that be like buying a Tacori from an outlet mall
2.gif
? lol
Just to give the op and idea of what cost might be. It is an outlet mall.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
most of us here are just consumers and wouldn't have any clue as to dealer cost or mark-up, although you can get some idea by comparing non-designer rings of the same quality. if you know someone who will sell it to you at cost, why not trust them? won't it still be less than retail so you'd still be getting a deal right?

i highly doubt any of the vendors are going to openingly share that info. it's possible that they aren't even allowed based on the designers request or to protect their own businesses
2.gif

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi Olympia,

This is one of those question that could end up leading to an awkward situation with your family. Often times I hear one of my good friend in the business telling our mutual close friend that he'll give them stuff at cost. I always wondered how he could afford to do that and he finally explained that he adds 10% because thats what it costs him to ticket it, insure it, finance it etc. Now that made sense!

The reason I just wanted to make sure you are careful about determining your price based on cost is what if the jeweler in you family adds 10% because that is his cost of doing business. It would still be way less expensive than you can buy it anywhere else and it would be a great deal! It would just be important that you understand that he is not trying to profit off you he is just covering his cost of doing business.

If you end up getting it at hard cost then more power to you
36.gif
I just wanted to ad my 2 cents to layout a couple of different scenarios to keep the family happy!

Good luck and Congrats

olympia

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I am being offered cost plus 10% - I just thought someone here might have an idea of what cost is. I''ve worked in retail some and I know it can vary widely. Just trying to plan accordingly :)
Thanks all!

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Thats great news Olympia! The reason your probably not getting the answer quickly is that some of us carry Tacori and Tacori wouldn''t want us making that info public for the world to see.

The easiest thing to do is to ask your family member "So if I see a ring that retails for $4,000, what would it cost me?"

Congrats again!

olympia

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sean,
I''m so new here I didn''t even know that dealers/retailers posted! I can certainly ask my family member - I was just trying to do a little pre-planning. Thanks for your help and suggestions though.
Olympia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results