shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m reaching my breaking point with Jewelry Television Network

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You know, for the most part I try and ignore jewelry television shopping channels.

But like your typical male, I am a channel flipper. So I keep running across the jewelry channels and find myself listening to their spiels.

It's starting to get to me. I keep thinking "how can they say these lies on national television?"

Last night was a great example. The hostess was talking up the heliodor (golden beryl) they were selling. This stone (of many) was a 21 carat stone. I quickly estimated wholesale to be in the 30 per carat neighborhood, and indeed they ended up asking 699 dollars for it.

But this was after the hostess saying "This quality of heliodor retails for 1000 per carat. This would be a $21,000 retail stone! But we are selling it for $699..."

Is this not borderline criminal? I can't even believe what they speak so casually across the airwaves. Lies, lies and more lies.

Anyway, I've just about had it. I'm thinking about taking them on. My plan is to document as many instances of blatant lies as possible, in particular regarding their portrayal of retail pricing versus their pricing.

Don't get me wrong, the prices they end up selling things for is usually pretty good, in the neighborhood of wholesale or wholesale plus a little bit. But their representation of their price versus retail is blasphemous. I'm sick of it.

Once I've got an ironclad portfolio of lies and misrepresentations, I'll turn it over to the Jewelers Vigilance Committee, and see if their lawyers are willing to try and bring this Goliath under some sort of accountability. If not then I will see if I can organize a grass roots movement within the jewelry industry willing to fund a legal approach against these pathological liars. (Not all the jewelry television channels. Some are fairly decent in their portrayals. But there are a few offendors that are borderline criminal, in my opinion).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard,
I hear you loud and clear. I stopped watching ages ago. At first it was out of curiousity. What I saw made me very angry. I feel badly for those that get duped by them. It's alarmng to say the least. I know they have legal eagles going over every word, thus protecting them. But come on?? I know what they are saying is misleading. When people get taken advantage of, that drives me nuts. But buyer beware comes to mind as well. I dunno, so frustrating.
29.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I , for one, never bought into that crap in the first place....Richard, I would definitely be willing to stand behind you and let the public know (as they rightly should) that they''re being shown absolute garbage. What really kills me is the fact that the pretty little spokesmodels don''t have a clue what they''re talking about, they''re just pathetic little mouthpieces (I''m really not going to insert politics here, I swear) and they still get PAID for it! Whatever. Richard, I''m behind you. I admire your ethics and sense of responsibility.
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s why I can''t watch JTV anymore; at least if I do, it is on mute. I do wholeheartedly admire what you are planning, Richard and support you all the way.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I dont get them so cant help out.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so first off I''d like to compile a list of all the Jewelry Television Channels. I''m not saying they''re all violators, I''d just like to get a feel for how many are out there.

Can you guys help me fill in this list? I''ve got:

JTN Jewelry Television Network
HSN Home Shopping Network
???

If you know the channels they''re on, list that as well.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2007 9:52:52 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Okay, so first off I''d like to compile a list of all the Jewelry Television Channels. I''m not saying they''re all violators, I''d just like to get a feel for how many are out there.

Can you guys help me fill in this list? I''ve got:

???

If you know the channels they''re on, list that as well.
I would love to help you with JTN but I can''t watch it - they''re pushy, obnoxious and, as you pointed out, talk crazy.

Well, they''re on different channels based on your provider (i.e. cable, satellite) and location.

My satellite also has QVC and ShopNBC. Sometimes they say ridiculous things but not often.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 10:57:36 AM
QVC ???
ShopNBC

Isn't there an 'ACN' network?
according to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewelry_Television):

"Jewelry Television is an American television network, similar to the Home Shopping Network. It was formerly called "America's Collectibles Network" (ACN)."

Gems TV
The Jewellery Channel

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
QVC = quality, value, convienience

I think there used to be a Shop@Home channel, which was a subsidiary of HSN but they might've closed it.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 11:22:38 AM
Author: baby monster
QVC = quality, value, convienience

I think there used to be a Shop@Home channel, which was a subsidiary of HSN but they might''ve closed it.
shop at home was bought by Jewelry Television. it closed and then returned to a full 24-hour on air schedule.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a new one lately doing some gemstone auction in reverse (where the price comes down after the initial company offering). Unfortunately I can''t recall the name of the program nor what cable offers it.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for you Richard!!!!!

I was flipping through channels last night and saw a few more. I look again tonight and write down the station numbers and the name of the shows.

We have Direct TV . One I can think of that is a BIG offender is GemShopping Channel. My channel 228. They have their own website too. www.gemshopping.com These are the biggest liars too.

Linda

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2007 1:10:35 PM
JTN...Jewelry Television Network (formerly ACN) -- DirecTV Channel 367 / Dish Network Channel 227
HSN...Home Shopping Network -- DirecTV Channel 240 / Dish Network Channel 222
QVC...Quality, Value & Convenience -- DirecTV Channel 317 / Dish Network Channel 137
ShopNBC -- DirecTV Channel 316 / Dish Network Channel 228
GSC...Gem Shopping Channel (Direct TV ch. 228, www.gemshopping.com) -- Sky Digital Channel 646 (Gems TV) / Channel 660 (Gems TV 2) / DirecTV Channel 233 (US version)

as listed on wiki. not sure how credible that is though.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Richard,
I have material and correspondance to and from JTV regarding Burma rubies from Mokok, unheated emeralds from Zambia and I marked on my calendar one of the many dates that the male gem host (Tommy)described how much the rubies were worth, and where they came from.( $3,600 per carat. , Mokok mines) Of course you looked at them and stated otherwise.
I can attest to Cheryl,(gemologist) stating the retail value of spessertite garnet was 1,800 per carat and she had some 3 or 4 ct stone worth 8-9k. I would hAVE TO CHECK FOR THE NAMES OF OTHERS who have lied about the gems. I ordered diamond stud earrings where the hostess siad a friend of hers had them appraised for 7,000. They were $1,500 and were so cloudy I sent them back.
In defence of themselves they wrote that even if it didnt meet my expectations (ruby) it appraised out for more than I paid. That''s their defence.
I filed a complaint with the FTC but got no reply. I would be happy to work on this project with you and will donate $100.00 should you need it. I agree that it is criminal. However, I have learned a lot from them and bought some nice stuff as well as junk. I hate the lying because that is what it is.
When I first discovered them they had Antonette Matlins (many books) come to teach them They used anothe well known appraiser who appears as an expert on T.V. I bought very nice Akoya pearls from on of these appraisers and was thrilled. Initially they got write ups on their good pearls.
I have new e-mail adress. I will send it to you in case you want me todo something.
Oh, you can get avidavids from people as well for incorrect information. Some tanzanite they also misrepresent. Thanks Annette Go Richard!

Aprilstar

Rough_Rock
I''ll tell you what, I won''t buy anything on JTV that has any kind of diamonds in it..I did that once..The ring had garnet, and on TV the diamonds looked great, but when I got it, they were gray.
A new channel in our area is The Jewely Channel, TJC. I must confess,I got carried away and I bought a Pariaba Apatite ring and it was reasonable and I liked it. But you really have to watch what you are buying and know if they are bull.... Has anyone else watched this channel? https://www.tjc.tv/AMS/Homepage.aspx It is on Time Warner Cable 294 in our area.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Another channel is GEMS - Gem Shopping Network on Directtv 228. They are full of crap, too. Sometimes they have beautiful vintage things, but, people would have to be NUTSO to believe anything they say. Crusade on Richard!!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
JTN...Jewelry Television Network (formerly ACN)
HSN...Home Shopping Networy
QVC...Quality, Value & Convenience
ShopNBC
GSC...Gem Shopping Channel (Direct TV ch. 28, www.gemshopping.com)
TJC...The Jewely Channel, www.tjc.tv/AMS/Homepage.aspx, Time Warner Cable 294
GEMS...Gem Shopping Network, Direct TV 228

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck to you Richard, I never like to watch those shows they are too annoying. They need to be taught a thing or two.

Chrysoz

Rough_Rock
Sounds like a really good Idea to do something about those MOST irritating channels, Richard, I wish you good luck!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There was more than thought put ot this problem some years back and we found the FTC unwilling to act on any complaints under $100,000. The relatively small size sales these on air channels make means that they go under the radar to a geat extent. SUre, the big firms sell millions of dollars worth of product, but only collect a few hundred from any single customer. No one much cares.

I now spend my time doing positive things and won''t spend time thinking I am going to create a utopia out of capitalism. Caveat Emptor and be careful are good mottos. Do the right thing yourself every day and you''ll do more good in the long run than trying to bring down a large and distant operation.

hearinggal

Rough_Rock
The show you are thinking of is called Gems TV and they advertise that they are a falling auction. I watch a lot just to hear noise have bought a few things, most have been sent back.
kate

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Richard, your OP cracked me up! I know what you mean though. I HATE ACN. Dont get me wrong...I would never actually buy anything from that schlockfest but yeah, they''re totally full of crap about their descriptions on that garbage they sell. You can see clearly how included and cloudy and generally awful their "inventory" is and they act like they''re selling Graff. It''s crazy but on the other hand, do you really want to spend your precious time chasing down that nonsense? Why not take up a new hobby or something and get out there and enjoy life? There''s always going to be people/shops/etc. like this out there and there''s always going to be people who think their jewelry is fantastic so....you know the saying, "one man''s garbage is another man''s treasure".... :)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2007 8:29:26 PM
Yeah, maybe you guys are right. Life is too short to be charging windmills.
I think I''ll go on a cruise instead.

Join us on our trip down the Amazon River in November, Rich. Piranha, mosquitoes, crocodiles and a whole host of other wild wild life. Guaranteed to take your mind of smellyvision.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/14/2007 2:39:01 PM
Piranha, mosquitoes and crocodiles, Oh My!

One of my acquaintances taught his kids to water ski in Surinam''s piranha-infested rivers. They got up very quickly and NEVER fell down. Sometimes motivation is everything.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results