shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds in the VERY Rough

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Musey''s recent thread about an iron wedding band for sale at Tiffany and Co. made me wonder if there had yet been a thread about uncut diamonds worn as engagement rings. I saw an article in, "The Wall Street Journal" (link provided to an on-line version). It pictured a ring with what looked like an ordinary rock (or pebble) instead of a gemstone. Apparently Tiffany is selling these.

When I started to wear hammered 24K gold rings and bracelets people here often teased me that I could have a jeweler from the iron age. But are people really starting to wear rocks and iron? I mean, those rocks are diamonds...supposedly!

Has this been discussed here before?

Link to Article

Deborah
34.gif

jpk1102

Rough_Rock
I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the next "hottest trend" depends on a very good, if not contrived, bit of marketing.

If something is "all the rage" there will always be someone saying "I gotta have that."

From my perspective, they can have ''em!!!

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi AGBF,

Tiffany, DeBeers and Neiman Marcus are all showing a lot of jewelry with uncut diamonds recently. I think this is consistent with the overall trend of fashion jewelry moving more toward more organic shapes and styles. We actually sat with the company that supplies Neimans rough diamond jewelry at the Las Vegas jewelry show. "Diamond in the Rough" designs are quite beautiful. I know some will completely disagree but I actually see the appeal for those who want discrete luxury. The sell through remains to be seen but we are very optimistic. These are the chance you take in the fashion business!

blueyes157

Shiny_Rock
Very Cool! I love the combination of the rough diamonds and the cut diamonds.... what a neat effect. Personally, I would prefer a sparkly, polished diamond though!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Fashion often swings out to extremes. Cumbersome platform shoes with the resultant sprained ankles is one which comes to mind immediately. Often these extremes don't even look real good, but fashion can be rather wild. The extremes come and go, but the best styles last and last. If you take the time to discern the differences between short term fashion crzes and long term fashion staples you can find the reasons for long term staying power.

Among other reason, beauty is part of what makes a long term fashion. Faceted diamonds qualify for this, but I don't think uncut diamonds will have the same staying power. Maybe a short term flash in the pan, but in the long run people want workmanship, crafting skill and beauty. Its neat to buy the newest toy, but for those seeking long term satisfaction, it takes a more conservative view.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I think this is an example of The Emperor''s New Clothes
38.gif
This is an interesting marketing campaign, to say the least.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I appreciate all the thoughtful responses. I suspect from what has been written in this thread that the topic has not been discussed here before. Yet, as dunndeal pointed out, the product under discussion has been carried in many of the high end stores!!!

I agree, Dave, that it will be a toy for some people who can afford it now but not be a lasting fashion. I cannot see wearing one of those pebbles as part of my classic jewelry wardrobe. (On the other hand, I am on the extreme end of the fashion spectrum, not having had my ears pierced until age 48 and wearing only small, single pearl earrings up until the day I got them pierced!)

I would love to get a photo of one of the pieces up here. I will see what I can do.

Deborah
34.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2007 9:47:23 AM
Author: risingsun
I think this is an example of The Emperor''s New Clothes
38.gif
This is an interesting marketing campaign, to say the least.
I agree. Just not my cuppa.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
This is actually the first time I have seen one of those. There was one which I thought was nice althrough I don''t know that it would ever be something I would find myself wearing if I could afford to purchase one that is. I don''t fine the crossing rope look to hold it in attractive at all. I also don''t see that being a style fit to stick around for a long time but you never know. I will stick with my H & A that sparkles like no tomorrow, even the local jewelers are impressed!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the photo that was shown in, "The Wall Street Journal". I have to say that the photos from their website show stones that at least look more like hunks of quartz. This stone looks as if it could be granite (or perhaps lead)!

AGBF
34.gif

DiamondInTheRough.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 5:38:02 PM
Author: AGBF
This is the photo that was shown in, ''The Wall Street Journal''.

AGBF
34.gif
bleck!!!
There are kewl looking diamond crystal but that isnt one of em!!!
Gary has some nice looking ones.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I have seen some very attractive diamond crystals, but these almost always get cut because they''re also the most profitable for manufacturers.

I''ll join those who don''t get the idea of setting boart into jewelry.
33.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Cool topic AGBF. I'm not one who would personally be into this but it may have throwback - or symbolic - appeal for some. Before the mid-1300s it was fashionable to put uncut rough diamonds into jewelry, and that practice continued for some years after the point and table cuts were introduced. Thousands of years before that only rulers wore diamonds and those remained uncut b/c it was believed that tampering with the rough would destroy the supernatural powers within.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 6:09:36 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Cool topic AGBF. I''m not one who would personally be into this but it may have throwback - or symbolic - appeal for some. Before the mid-1300s it was fashionable to put uncut rough diamonds into jewelry, and that practice continued for some years after the point and table cuts were introduced. Thousands of years before that only rulers wore diamonds and those remained uncut b/c it was believed that tampering with the rough would destroy the supernatural powers within.
not too mention ogg the first diamond dealer.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of a 2 ct unfacted brown diamond tension set in palladium and Damascus steel that my husband wears as a RHR. We think it looks very cool.

The best part is, he now owns the biggest diamond in the family. I''m just biding my time before I demand a 2 ct rock!
31.gif

IMG_2084s.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 6:59:28 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Here is a picture of a 2 ct unfacted brown diamond tension set in palladium and Damascus steel that my husband wears as a RHR. We think it looks very cool.

The best part is, he now owns the biggest diamond in the family. I''m just biding my time before I demand a 2 ct rock!
31.gif
that is kewl

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 6:31:31 PM

Date: 9/14/2007 6:24:47 PM
Author: strmrdr

not too mention ogg the first diamond dealer.
Was it Ogg who changed the engagement tradition?
2.gif
...all this time we''ve credited Archduke Maximilian.
yep yep
and he charged a mammoth arm and a leg too.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl, Your husband's ring is one that at least looks like quartz. Some of the rings on the Diamond in the Rough website also have that look. I think it's pretty when a stone like that is wrapped in bands of tiny, sparkling, faceted diamonds! (I especially like the cream colored diamonds.) I just don't think it would be worth the money someone would want from me to have such a ring made!

If anyone else has a piece of jewelry made with an uncut diamond, please put up a picture!

Deb
34.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/14/2007 6:09:36 PM
Cool topic AGBF. I''m not one who would personally be into this but it may have throwback - or symbolic - appeal for some. Before the mid-1300s it was fashionable to put uncut rough diamonds into jewelry, and that practice continued for some years after the point and table cuts were introduced. Thousands of years before that only rulers wore diamonds and those remained uncut b/c it was believed that tampering with the rough would destroy the supernatural powers within.
At a certain time in history when Diamonds were still believed to be indestructible..., the test to verify the Diamonds authenticity was trying to crash it with a hard blow..., if it survived it was a Diamond
39.gif

Can you imagine..........

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a few rough pieces that I love: I think the important thing in designing with rough is to choose the *right* rough, and to design around it specifically. What bugs me about the DeBeers/Tiffany/mass-produced pieces in general is the "one size fits all" approach that will set an octahedral crystal and a piece of bort in exactly the same setting. After all, it really isn''t the same thing as manufacturing a design that will take an RB, any RB - it''s more like designing around undrilled pearls. I''m also not a big fan of the gift-wrapped look, though that''s completely subjective ... and, admittedly, probably the easiest way to set irregular stones. Nevertheless, I much prefer the approach my jeweler used ....

7 carat "pearl" diamond set in a free-form half-bezel - a gift from my dad for my 21st b-day. Hasn''t left my hand since.
1.gif

Rough Ring 1.jpg

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For about ten years now, some German designers have been putting together jewelry with rough diamonds, mostly with Congo-cubes, which gives a very special and nice result.

A few weeks ago however, Chaim Even-Zohar warned in an article on IDEX that their are some hidden risks in purchasing such jewellery with rough diamonds.

Customs-wise, because this now is jewellery and no longer rough diamonds, it is not necessary to have a Kimberley-Process-certificate for these when crossing borders. However, it is kind of a grey zone. It could well be that you enter a country where customs takes another position, and confiscates your jewellery because you are trying to smuggle rough diamonds while avoiding the Kimberley-Process.

Taking this thinking further, it is also a way for unscrupulous diamond dealers to circumvent the whole Kimberley Process. Suppose that you have 100 carats of rough diamonds imported under the Kimberley Process, low quality rough. This, you set into jewellery, and you sell jewellery, while avoiding to detail how much rough went into this. More than enough room to wiggle there. Then, you can purchase other rough diamonds from some illegitimate source, and use your existing stock under the Kimberley Process in order to make them clean as a whistle. Careful, I am not talking about conflict diamonds here, which is largely inexistent right now, but more likely rough that is stolen within a legitimate mining operation.

Just some side-notes.

Live long,

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem, I''d LOVE to be able to see the bracelet Nicole Kidman was wearing closer up!

Circe, I think your views on setting stones, be they diamonds or other stones, is right on target. It just makes sense for a stone to be set in a setting that is made for it. Your setting looks perfect with your diamond; I can understand why it never leaves your hand.

Paul, You raised some points that probably only crooks have thought about to date. ;-)

Deb
34.gif

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Is it just me or does Nicole''s bracelet look more like flat triangular shaped polished diamonds rather than rough? It reminds me of the look of certain rose cut pieces of jewelry; Anyways whatever it is it''s hot!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/16/2007 10:17:10 AM
Author: dunndeal
Is it just me or does Nicole''s bracelet look more like flat triangular shaped polished diamonds rather than rough? It reminds me of the look of certain rose cut pieces of jewelry; Anyways whatever it is it''s hot!
I think you call them in english Macles...
You can read more:

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:cQPTDNT_ba0J:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_properties_of_diamond+triangular+macles&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5

"...Diamonds typically crystallize in the cubic crystal system (space group ) and consist of tetrahedrally, covalently bonded carbon atoms. A second form called lonsdaleite with hexagonal symmetry is also found, but it is extremely rare and is believed to form only when meteoric graphite falls to Earth. The local environment of each atom is identical in the two structures. In terms of crystal habit, diamonds occur most often as euhedral (well-formed) or rounded octahedra and twinned, flattened octahedra known as macles (with a triangular outline). Other forms include dodecahedra and (rarely) cubes. There is some evidence that interstitial nitrogen impurities play an important role in the formation of euhedral crystals—the largest diamonds found, such as the Cullinan Diamond, have been shapeless or massive. These diamonds are Type II and therefore contain little if any nitrogen (see Composition and color)..."

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
"Diamond in the Rough" was worn by two of the best-dressed girls on the red carpet for the 2007 Emmy Awards.
This is the first time natural, rough diamonds have been worn on the Emmy’s red carpet! Queen Latifah wore earrings and a bracelet from "Diamond in the Rough''s" new Iceberg Collection and Jennifer Morrison wore Orielle stud earrings!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Weighing in on the trend that is resurging, diamonds in their natural form set as jewlery is something I am wholeheartedly in agreement with! I actually tend to favor older cuts, but lately have fallen in love with table cuts and flatter cuts, almost resembling mackles.

I think with the birth of "bling", the fashion trend for the jewlery elite is to go again in a far departure of what the masses are doing. The masses are using lots of pave and sparkle, where MORE is simply MORE. Where the mid-level consumer is now a staple at all the luxury counters like Cartier and Tiffany & Co. The Luxury buyer wants dsitinction from that market, where item and label are not enough.

For example: you are seeing it with handbags, the luxury set are looking to depart from the affordable LVs, Guccis and even Coach by using higher quality materials that are not always obvious. A Coach bag for $300 may look the same as the $1,200 bag, but one is made of leather, the other crocodile. Same going on here. A muted elegance is resurging where you may spend $100,000 on a ring or $1,000,000 but the difference is not discernable by the "sparkle" or "size".

Just going through Fashion Week here in NY, the looks are muted. Gold shine is relegated to smaller accents and not outfits. Bold design and color for some, but more use of organic form, softer tones, and feminine softness. It may just be the trend coupled with the budding awareness of Ecological concerns like the conservation of environment, Hybrid cars, fur-banning as well. Will it remain, I think so, will it be a strong new force, perhaps not as strong as cut and polished stones for the masses, but there will be a select few who will want it and will pay top dollar just to have it be rough and raw and natural.

Here''s an article about the Neiman Marcus stone that sold to a client in Beverly Hills and the new trend that''s growing:
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/27/yourmoney/rgjewelCopy.php

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results