shape
carat
color
clarity

Fashion help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
DKS: what''s a testarossa? I''ve got very dark brown eyes, medium-dark brown hair, and pale skin with a yellow undertone (I tan quite easily). My best colors are blue-reds, lavenders, white/ivory, grey, and mossy green. Absolutely NO yellows, orange, etc. Blacks, browns, pinks are neutral. I hear you on the working girl, it''s always a fine line between showing off the curves and just too too much.
12.gif

Mara: thanks for the tip, that is really helpful. Shoot. Well, I was hoping to avoid actually dedicating a day to trying things on, but it is starting to look like that will be necessary. I just feel like Bluefly has SUCH a discount compared to B&M stores. Sort of like Whiteflash, haha. Well, maybe I could try the dress on, and then order it online.....assuming there is enough time for that.

I''m actually going to probably end up buying the dress in Boston since Wedding #1 is only 7 days after I get back, 4 of which will be in Boston. But, I also know where to shop in Boston, so that helps.

One thing--my mother is insisting that the red dress is just far too sexy for a wedding. Hm. I sent the pic to my friend in Birmingham who is also going to the wedding, she''ll have a better idea.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Does any body know whose measurements these are? 37-23-36

Well, if you did you would realize that Rainbowtrout is a babe
30.gif
with a capital B!!! As she is not far them at: 37/27/39. Any takers? No google. Just guess.

DKS

RT: I agree with your momma...red is a tad too much for a wedding. Well, unless you want to stand out. You know the rule about not wearing white....it sort of takes the attention off of the bride? Well, even the bride would be looking at you in red. Well, that is my opinion and I would be very uncomfortable wearing red to a wedding. I agree with color making you really confident...but red...a tad too much. No offense to the red voters...but many say black is too much at a wedding. ANd there I am in a black frock everytime. So truthfully I don''t know squat about color.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Haha thanks DKS....mmmm...I'm going to guess Betty Page....ah but it's those extra 4 inches that make all the difference to hit that "golden ratio"
2.gif
I can hit it with a corset but that's the only way!

Of course, I just ate a kind of huge melted Edam sandwich, so.. might balloon at any moment.
31.gif

Sigh...my instinct agrees about the red. The point of looking stunning is moot if you look like you were *trying* to look that way.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
No on Betty Page...actually I don''t know who betty page is. But even if I did...it is not her!!
2.gif

DKS

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few from Nordstrom..

norddress.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dress number 2

nordsdress.jpg

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dress 3

nordydress.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does any body know whose measurements these are? 37-23-36

I'm vaguely recalling...Barbie??

My measurements are similar to RT's but gotta agree it's those 4 inches at the waist that make ALL the difference hahaa. Oh and those darn 2inches at the hips. DOH. RT you look great in that first picture though, so if you lost weight, wowza.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
The only "body of our times" that is contemporary is Marilyn Monroe. She was the last physcical epitome, past Betty Page and more classic than Jolie, Hayek, or Lohan. The Monroe days where the days of curvy women. Looks like noadays in modeling there is the 24-20-26 look en vogue....
38.gif

No can anyone tell me what the optimal measurements (at her best days of modeling) were for Anna Nicole, as she was compared so frequently to Marilyn...

RBT, I say that you go with a black or navy if it''s in October. To me, nothing says elegant or classy like black or navy, especially at a wedding! it also depends on your wedding audience. In NY, NJ, CT, weddings don''t occur without the pre-requisite little black dress. They are usually at night and more formal, so that may be a factor to think about. Time and fomrality of the event....but I love black and navy for such weddings. The colors are so forgiving and lend themself to hide any imperfection. They tend to be so elegant, and can be dressed down as well. Color is great if you are the type of person who does it often and feel confident in strong colors, but if you don''t now is not the time to time to experiment if you want a tried and true look. Wear you hair up in a casual way, maybe even give yourself the versatility of wearing up and down the whole night, as you feel more laid back or not. Shoes can be sexy, strappy, absolutely! (but if you''ll stand a lot, make sure they are comfortable.) If not, I say 3-4"+ HIGH heels always make legs look better and do the trick of hiding tummies as our bodies reposition in heels and even give us a better looking sillouhette.

Dress designs i have found for your body shape are dresses that are just below the knee, no higher, no lower. Since you have hips and a lovely waist, I would get something with a big of a swing in the dress. A-lines cling too much, so a full skirt will help accentuate the waistline you already have. Long torsos do not need to be cut with belt lines and things that break up the top and bottom halves, so keep lines flowing and get something with a cross-over neckline, but comes in at the waist, kind of like the wrap dress that was suggested previously. I have several wrap dresses as described and have worn some from beach to ballroom. Literally. A nice jersey knit with perhaps a body slimmer underneath and I guarantee you, you will get nothing but appreciative looks all night (unless you get them jealous!) ;-)

You have a great figure, don''t hide it! Have a great time!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
I think this dress would look nice with your figure. Multifunctional, sexy in a demure way, a little sparkle but subtle with the tone on tone. $140

wdb003_zi.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!! Nicez is right! Marilyn Monroe's measurements provided by the studio. I have heard her actual seamstress said they were different. But in the publicity releases that is the measurement they provided. ( I am not some wacko
37.gif
...just happening to know it...I googled it for conversation sake.)

I gave them out so the board could visualize how close RT
30.gif
is to that. And you wouldn't dress MM in anything other than figure accentuating dresses. Especially if SHE were going back for the first time to see old school chums. I love all the dresses provided...they really are stylish and great. But for RT I was hoping to Vamp (in a good way
2.gif
...goodness sakes) it up a tad and make sure she wasn't wearing anything that flared from the bust down.

That last one GingerCookie provided is more MM than any other style shown. More traditional in that the waist is highlighted...elegant because of the high neckline...sexy because of the shoulder baring...updated and current....this line in MHO (who has ever know my opinion to be humble?
2.gif
)
is more what those measurements should be hugged with!! Oh and she stayed closer to RT's budget of under $150.

Good guess Nicerz...you win the prize!!
36.gif
(ugghhh I don't know what it is...so just be patient.)
DKS

OUpearls is close to the GBC one too, Huh?

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh, I''m loving that black one Ginger! Nice. Must go check out link....

I will def. let you ladies know what I end up buying day after tomorrow! Thanks a bunch.
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2007 11:03:36 AM
Author: rainbowtrout
Oooooh, I'm loving that black one Ginger! Nice. Must go check out link....

I will def. let you ladies know what I end up buying day after tomorrow! Thanks a bunch.
1.gif
I do like the last dress posted as well...Do take pictures when you find the dress... with your classic figure a burlap sack would be stunning, but since you want to REALLY wow, I say that black dress by Ginger is a nice choice so far...
30.gif

Marilyn's measurements are so "classic' that I remember them even being in a song (albeit altered a bit) as 36-24-36. Can anyone remember what song they used THOSE measurements in? I am embarassed to know it myself...

FYI: Barbie's measurements were more absurd, where her top was so heavy her hips were not wide enough to carry her torso. Something bizzare like 36-20-33 or similar...I remember reading somewhere that had she been a live human at her size, she would be about 5' 9" and lack enough body fat to be considered normal. Note that if we don't have enough body fat (like some who suffer from anorexia or bulemia) a woman can not even menstruate. This is why the old joke goes that since Barbie was so disfigured, she couldn't conceive, Ken turned gay and went for GI Joe....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Marilyn's measurements are so "classic' that I remember them even being in a song (albeit altered a bit) as 36-24-36. I remembered the real size not NEARLY as symmetrical.

"36-24-36? Ha ha, only if she's 5'3".
41.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2007 12:14:16 PM
Author: Nicrez
Date: 8/27/2007 11:03:36 AM

Author: rainbowtrout

Oooooh, I''m loving that black one Ginger! Nice. Must go check out link....

1.gif

I do like the last dress posted as well...Do take pictures when you find the dress... with your classic figure a burlap sack would be stunning, but since you want to REALLY wow, I say that black dress by Ginger is a nice choice so far...
30.gif

Marilyn''s measurements are so ''classic'' that I remember them even being in a song (albeit altered a bit) as 36-24-36. Can anyone remember what song they used THOSE measurements in? I am embarassed to know it myself...

FYI: Barbie''s measurements were more absurd, where her top was so heavy her hips were not wide enough to carry her torso. Something bizzare like 36-20-33 or similar...I remember reading somewhere that had she been a live human at her size, she would be about 5'' 9'' and lack enough body fat to be considered normal. Note that if we don''t have enough body fat (like some who suffer from anorexia or bulemia) a woman can not even menstruate. This is why the old joke goes that since Barbie was so disfigured, she couldn''t conceive, Ken turned gay and went for GI Joe....

Baby Got Back! Hahaha. As a curvy girl myself I always loved this song because I''m "little in the middle but ya got much back"

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Marilyn''s measurements are so ''classic'' that I remember them even being in a song (albeit altered a bit) as 36-24-36. Can anyone remember what song they used THOSE measurements in? I am embarassed to know it myself...
She''s a BRICK HOUSE!! 36-24-36 What a winning hand...

P.S. I love the last black one posted!!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
RainbowTrout-- if the dress needs to do double duty, I''d vote for a little black dress that comes to the knee.

With a figure like yours, you''d be perfect for Dolce & Gabbana. Of course, that can be really pricey, but if you can find a little wiggle room in your budget, you MUST take a look at this dress from their less-expensive D&G line: http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod20490125&parentId=cat251105&ECID=BGAPRDesignerApparel%2Ecom . With a basic black dress, you can probably save a little $$ by accessorizing with what you already have in your closet; I know it''s over your stated budget, but $325 for D&G is pretty darn good.

You''d knock ''em dead at the wedding, your dates will drop at your feet in the future, and you have to love that you''re wearing THIS when running into those frenemies from high school:

DG dress 2007 08.jpg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Well, after a VERY frustrating 5 hours of shopping, I had found nothing. So, I went into Saks to try on the Tadashi brand, planning to buy it online if I liked the sizing and fit (thanks to Mara for the tip).

I found 2 great dresses. Needed a strapless bra. Well, the saleswoman has clearly sold her soul:

Her: Oh honey, you need a strapless with that
Me: Yes, I don''t have one.
Her: oh...well dear, you don''t need a bra!
Me: Um, yes I do. 32E, I NEED a bra.
Her: *glares* Well, Saks does not carry bras in that cup size (as if I was some sort of fat pariah).

Anyway, went home--and bluefly had SOLD out of the 2 I had found at Saks! Also, I found at that both weddings are black tie, so the backup skirt and top plan won''t fly.

Well, I sat down and bit the bullet: ordered 2 potentials off bluefly, and bought a strapless bra like a big girl (to quote my girlfriend, "you need to have one, RT, just admit it and spend the money."

Pictures to follow....dresses should be in around Tuesday or Wendsday.

Dress #1---could go either way, but might look great. Silk taffeta, Tadashi.

cocktaildress1.jpeg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Black silk paisley jacquard. Shoshanna, supposedly cut for the skinny, busty ladies of the world. If this dress works I will patronize this brand forever and save myself a lot of headache.

cocktaildress2.jpeg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
The bra was on sale from 67 to 44, so yay! I run true to size, so worst case scenario it will fit but might not be very comfy or hold up well.

Now, I have some black pumps I hope will work with these dresses, since I have no nice sandals. I can always buy some if I have to but hopefully the pumps will work.

I also will need a shrug or a wrap for the church. Maternal unit suggested a light green pashmina that I have...think that would work with a black dress? Or do I need something black as well.

I''m also a tad nervous about showing my tattoo in public. I mean, it won''t show in the church, but it will at the reception. Alabama and Jewish New York society aren''t the most accepting of that sort of thing. OTOH, I think the tattoo looks smashing with the dress and is a very nice "accessory." Not so sure FI''s grandparents will agree...but they will have to deal with it at my wedding, so they can start dealing now.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2007 3:20:34 AM
Author: fleur-de-lis
RainbowTrout-- if the dress needs to do double duty, I''d vote for a little black dress that comes to the knee.

With a figure like yours, you''d be perfect for Dolce & Gabbana. Of course, that can be really pricey, but if you can find a little wiggle room in your budget, you MUST take a look at this dress from their less-expensive D&G line: http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod20490125&parentId=cat251105&ECID=BGAPRDesignerApparel%2Ecom . With a basic black dress, you can probably save a little $$ by accessorizing with what you already have in your closet; I know it''s over your stated budget, but $325 for D&G is pretty darn good.

You''d knock ''em dead at the wedding, your dates will drop at your feet in the future, and you have to love that you''re wearing THIS when running into those frenemies from high school:

Mmmmm...dolce dolce dolce. Love it. But 325 just won''t swing :-/. Not this year! Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results