shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips for Bangkok??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!

This has nothing to do with Diamonds but I thought I could post here anyway. I know that there are people from all over the world on this forum so I''d thought I just ask.

I''m in Bangkok this week on a business trip and wanted some tips on where to go, what to see, etc. I''m staying near the World Trade Center (aka center world mall) for anyone familiar with Bangkok.

Ideas on where to go, or just general tips for being in Bangkok would be great!

Thanks in advance!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been a while so I'm digging deep into my memory banks.
9.gif

I love the boat rides down the Chao Phraya river just to view the city.
You've got to visit the Grand Palace (with the Emerald Buddha statue).
Wat Arun (temple) is also another magnificent temple to see.
Take the opportunity to sit on the "tut tuts" as it's a very unique ride and they can get you where you need to quick with their knowledge of backroads.

If you get a chance to get out of Bangkok, try to experience the floating market. I've also gone to a silk umbrella factory where these umbrellas are all individually hand painted.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
It''s been ages since I was in Thailand, but I remember the Floating Markets as a reall unique attraction.

You should also go to the night markets... there are lots of bargains and cheapie souvenirs you can buy there.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, there is this huge weekend market, Chaktuchak (not sure if i got the spelling right) Weekend Market.. lots of cheap and good shopping there..

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 12:18:00 PM
Author: Chrono
It''s been a while so I''m digging deep into my memory banks.
9.gif

I love the boat rides down the Chao Phraya river just to view the city.
You''ve got to visit the Grand Palace (with the Emerald Buddha statue).
Wat Arun (temple) is also another magnificent temple to see.
Take the opportunity to sit on the ''tut tuts'' as it''s a very unique ride and they can get you where you need to quick with their knowledge of backroads.

If you get a chance to get out of Bangkok, try to experience the floating market. I''ve also gone to a silk umbrella factory where these umbrellas are all individually hand painted.
sit on the tuk tuks but don''t let them take you to tailor shops or jewelry stores.
1.gif

Ride the Sky Train for an elevated air conditioned tour of Bangkok.

Visit the Jim Thompson House.

Visit Wat Po to see the reclining Buddha and get a Thai massage. It''s near the Palace (Wat Pra Khao)

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
thanks for all the suggestions! i pass the chatuchek (sp?) market on my way to the office, so I think on Friday afternoon I will try to stop by since I don''t really have much of aweekend here. I wish I had a little more time.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Chatuchuck is WONDERFUL but make sure you drink a lot of water.
If you are in a jewelry mood, find Johnny''s Gems for well priced beautiful jewelry and loose stones. He''s got wonderful semi-precious jewelry and some rubies and sapphires and more expensive stuff.
I can''t remember the name of it, but find the bar that''s on the top of the roof of the highest hotel in Bangkok. It''s a great view!
Definitely visit the Jim Thompson house. It''s incredible.
Do you have time to get out of town for a while? Take some people with you and go see the tigers in Kanchanaburi (check the "Travel Eye Candy" thread for my pictures).

Elise

Rough_Rock
Bangkok is a wonderful place to go for food and shopping.

For shopping, you can start at this place called MBK and then shop your way down. MBK is full of cheap stuff to buy but be careful as some of them may be knock offs and not the real thing. You can then take the bridge to Siam Discovery Centre (I think) and then just walk down the road from there. I found the following things very reasonably priced in Bangkok as compared to Singapore and HK - Boots products, pharmaceutical products, lingerie- go to Paragon, manis and pedis and massages homeware. Chatuchak weekend market is good too for bargain buys and a fun experience but it is a bit hot and stuffy so dress appropriately. Remember to bargain, bargain and bargain!

You have lots of choices for food. For a cultural evening, you can go to the Oriental and take and junk out to their floating restaurant where there is food plus traditional Thai dances. Or Sirocco at the State Tower where there are panaromic views of the city. For traditional Thai, you might want to try Baan Kanita. When I was preparing for my trip there, I did a google search on Tatler Bangkok and ticked off on their recommended restaurants. Suffice to say, I put on lots of weight that trip!

Partying is not all that great given that the clubs close pretty early - I believe the last time I went it was 1.30am. But you can check out Bed Supper Club. There are "underground" clubs that open all night but I''ve personally never tried those. There are also some eyeopening acts in Bangkok that you might want to check out if you have the appetite for it - Thai Girl Shows (or sometimes known just as tiger shows) and cabarets.

Shucks, now I''m dying to go too!

Elise

Rough_Rock
Oh yes, do be careful of being cheated by taxi drivers. Always go into a cab with a meter and insist that they turn it on at the start of the journey. Those who drive buy and quote you prices often charge inflated prices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results