shape
carat
color
clarity

Places to stay??? - Newport

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joker382

Rough_Rock
Has anyone ever been to Newport, RI? I hear it can be a romantic weekend getaway and I am thinking of possibly going there for a proposal.

scogar

Rough_Rock
Hey, I used to live right around the corner (born and raised). There is a nice, old inn there called the Viking Inn. It is in the downtown area and they have a honeymoon suite. I stayed there back in 1992......probably last time I was in Newport as well. Since i was born and raised in the area I might be able to help with some ideas but my knowledge may be a bit dated. If you like the low key bar scene I know it can be found, i.e., romantic waterside table at a high end cocktail bar. I am not talking about the meat market pickup bars which there used to be plenty of too.

Many mansions that can be toured and I am sure a good proposal could be folded into this somehow....

Let me know and if I can I''ll give you some details. Are you traveling from a distance to get there?

Scogar

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2007 10:23:14 PM
Author:joker382
Has anyone ever been to Newport, RI? I hear it can be a romantic weekend getaway and I am thinking of possibly going there for a proposal.
I have, and I wrote up a fairly long post including links to photos I took when I was there, to give you some idea about it, but the post wouldn''t work...
15.gif

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
Tripadvisor.com always has very good recommendations/customer reviews on hotels.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Well, apparently I can only attach one photo at a time, so here goes.

This is the Cliff Sign, just to show this really is Newport.
1.gif

cliffsign.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Off the cliff:

Newportcliff.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Another part of the cliffs:

Newportcliff1.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
One of the many mansions on the cliff walk and in Newport''s town center:

Newportmansion.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
A building in town that I found interesting (I''m from a town close to Annapolis, Maryland, forgive me)--this was the home of the U.S. Naval Academy from 1861-1865:

NavalAcad.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Touro Park, a nice place for a picnic or just a bit of shade in town:

TouroPark.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Flowers everywhere! Most of the places I visited had windowboxes or potted plants outside, which made the whole town look inviting, cared for and charming.
1.gif

newportsidewalk.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Viking is a fabulous hotel. Since 1992 it''s been completely remodeled and added on to. It''s not one of the top hotels in downtown newport. There are tons of little B&B type places too but the Viking is really special. The cliff walk is probably one of the most popular places for proposals in the area but there are so many scenic places, you can''t really go wrong. There''s also a cruise around the harbor that you can take on an old schooner. That''d be a fab place for a proposal.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are also many high-end restaurants and bars there. There are some dives as well though depending on your mood. I don''t think you''ll have a problem finding what you''re looking for in Newport.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
While not precisely in downtown Newport, Castle Hill Inn is quite lovely. My husband and I stayed there for a few days last summer and quite liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results