shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird ring scooching behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Ladies, enlighten me.

Last night FI and I were guests of one of his senior colleagues for dinner. When he and his "girlfriend" opened the door, I''m pretty sure I saw a nice sized hunk of yummy super-charged-sparkly-compressed-carbon on her hand. The thing is, a few minutes later, the stone disappeared. She still had a ring on...a band... but no diamond.

I became convinced that she had scooched the diamond around into her palm and obsessed with determining if this was so. Sure enough, despite her best efforts, I saw a flash of diamondy brilliance and caught a glimpse of the stone in her palm when she picked up my plate.

OK, WHY would she do this? It''s so weird. Was she maybe thinking I''d be jealous cause her stone is bigger? I mean, it wasn''t HUGE or anything, maybe a 1.5ct. Does she not want us to know they''re engaged? (huh?) Who keeps a diamond in their palm all evening?!

Anybody have any ideas? I don''t know why I care at all, but I just find it so weird and I''m curious.
26.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
she is probably self conscious still.... I could see myself doing this LOL

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
1.5 ct. is huge to me!!! lol I agree that she probably is self conscious!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the title cracked me up. Ring scooching?
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 1:04:36 PM
Author: Chrono
Just the title cracked me up. Ring scooching?
9.gif
I know! lol

I say she didn''t want you to see it, for some reason. Could be a couple.

I don''t buy that she was self concious. She knew you were coming, it''s not like you caught her off gaurd, so she easily could have just not worn it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is kind of weird, i am thinking maybe she just does it all the time and that is why she doesn''t even notice it. sometimes my ring does this and it looks like i have 2 eternity bands on. i also do this when out walking in a place where i feel a little self-conscious. but i do find that once you start doing something as a ''habit'' you don''t even realize you are doing it. that could be why...and why she wasn''t feeling like she didn''t want you to see it, she may have just been oblivious!

i probably would have said something...
11.gif
''what a lovely ring...oh and look it has a diamond...on the inside!''
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve done that, especially soon after we got engaged. Whenever I think it might draw attention, but I''m not in the mood
3.gif
She probably just wasn''t "in the mood" for questions/comments about it!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the ring was loose on her finger and it scooched itself
2.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I agree that she is probably self conscious!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 1:13:44 PM
Author: Mara

i probably would have said something...
11.gif
''what a lovely ring...oh and look it has a diamond...on the inside!''
3.gif
lol. . ."oooh, a surprise diamond!" We all love those
2.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Well, 1.5 is TWICE the size of my stone, but around here it's big but not too huge.

Well, I had lunch with FI and quizzed him, and he says that if they were engaged and had told ANYONE, he would have heard. Apparently, his section of the organization is in-cre-di-bly gossipy. And to be clear, those folks mostly only socialize with other work folks.

So, apparently, no one knows they are engaged. IF they are engaged.

Maybe they're NOT yet engaged and she was wearing it for fun. Then got embarassed when she realized she forgot to take it off?!? But then why not run in the kitchen and take it off or something?

...maybe she's married to SOMEONE ELSE!??!?

Good thing I only gossip on pricescope or I could inadvertantly have done some damage.
2.gif

And these people are in their 40's. It's not like they're kids.

Hmmmm...

Ring Scoochers. There ain't no readin' 'em.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring scoochers, LOL. I also wonder if maybe the ring is just really loose on her finger and rolls around. i would think if she really was self conscious of it or wanted to hide it she''d just take it off...turning your ring around and expecting others not to notice works better on the subway than it does in social settings where you''re conversing and possibly gesturing with your hands. Hmm, ring scoocher weirdo!
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe is just spun there naturally? If it''s too big maybe it just flipped there and she didn''t notice it? Either way, I wouldn''t fixate on it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read the title of this thread as "weird ring SMOOCHING behaviour" and thought, man, we PSers really love a bling a bit too much sometimes!

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Haha this story reminds me of a time when I was on the train home from work. I noticed a girl around my age with THE most gorgeous, 3+ RB on her ring finger. I tried not to stare but how could I not resist?
3.gif
After a few minutes, she gave me a nasty look and made it a point to turn her ring around so that the diamond was facing in.
8.gif
Oops.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
FINALLY!!!

I now have a NAME for what my mom and I do with our rings when we are in questionable locations...

Ring SCOOCHING...I love it!!!

Thank you Indy for adding to our vocabulary today...maybe we could make up some new words for our freaky bling obsession?

I think one each day should suffice!

Tomorrow''s word: BLINGITIS...any takers?
9.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 4:06:43 PM
Author: JenStone
Haha this story reminds me of a time when I was on the train home from work. I noticed a girl around my age with THE most gorgeous, 3+ RB on her ring finger. I tried not to stare but how could I not resist?
3.gif
After a few minutes, she gave me a nasty look and made it a point to turn her ring around so that the diamond was facing in.
8.gif
Oops.
Maybe next time you could offer her a pancake to wrap around the offending stone?
28.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I love the new moniker!

I am a self confessed ring scoocher. I do it often. If I am in the middle of negotiations, or in ROSS, or others similar places. I usually try to Scooch at the pay counter always. Especially at the grocery store. There are too many people who make a loud comment and I dont'' want others to hear. So...scooch scooch scooch.

I did attend a birthday party of my SIL she had just received an upgrade. I didn''t want to deflect the attention from her and didn''t want mine in the conversation...so scooch scooch scooch.

We were once at a basketball game and my ring was dancing off the wall. People were pointing to the light show...and before they could trace it...schooch schoooch schooch.

Looks like I can''t spell schooch...scooch...scwhooch....nothing looks right. I am sure your schoocher didn''t mean anyharm. Had she...she would probably be the type to STICK it under you nose...instead of SCHOOCH it from under your nose!!
2.gif

DKS

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I can totally understand the scooching thing! I do it too. Guilty as charged. But only when I dont know the person, or I''m in a so so area, or I feel like someone is staring blatently. Mind you, I stare at others rings too. So I''m guilty on both sides of that fence. The other day I was on a plane and this woman walked by during the boarding phase, and I swear she had a princess cut that had to be at least 5 cts. I stared. She couldn''t scooch though since she was holding a kid. Ha!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
First I thought that maybe it is just too big and scooched on its own - my mom''s ring was like that for years - but since you said that they haven''t announced an engagement, I''m thinking that she was trying it on and forgot to take it off. Hmm! Let us know if you find out the real scoop! I''m so nosy, I probably would have just asked to see the ring ;-)

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 7:15:15 PM
Author: surfgirl
I can totally understand the scooching thing! I do it too. Guilty as charged. But only when I dont know the person, or I''m in a so so area, or I feel like someone is staring blatently. Mind you, I stare at others rings too. So I''m guilty on both sides of that fence. The other day I was on a plane and this woman walked by during the boarding phase, and I swear she had a princess cut that had to be at least 5 cts. I stared. She couldn''t scooch though since she was holding a kid. Ha!

Oooooh, that''s just plain evil, LOL!
31.gif

I scooch on occassion, but not by turning my diamond, but by crossing my arms or putting my hand out of sight. I''m really comfortable with my diamond''s size, though, because it''s not really big enough to draw uncomfortable attention. I think a carat and a half, while not HUGE, is still very sizable and very, very noticable, especially if it''s a nice one. I could see myself scooching it. But I think others are right who said it may simply have turned on its own and she just didn''t notice it, although it''s kind of odd that she didn''t notice it throughout the entire dinner. If mine turned I probably would end up unconsciously turning it back into place.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
There was a lady in my Bible study group who did that for the whole year! I was in her small group, and would sometimes notice her ring when she walked into the room, but sure enough, as soon as she sat down, the ring would be schooched to the inside for the rest of the class time! It had to be about a 2.5-3ct. RB. I don''t know if she felt weird wearing something large there, but there was a real mixture of what the other ladies wore, so it wasn''t like hers was the only large one in the group. I figured she was self-conscious for some reason, and never asked about it.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
That''s funny! I have never seen a scoocher and am not one myself. I probably would have asked why she wears her ring that way!!! Not really!!! Maybe I would''ve said, "My, that is a huge diamond on the inside of your hand!!!" Perhaps she was uncomfortable yet didn''t want to take her ring off for sentimental reasons? I dunno...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet they haven''t announced their engagement yet. And she''s unwilling to take the ring off!

I do scooch my ring if I feel uncomfortable....ie walking on the hiking trail and people I don''t know coming the other way. Why draw attention in that situation.

BUT that''s very different than a social dinner. There I''d be happy to have you see my ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results