shape
carat
color
clarity

cleaning laptop screen?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excuse my ignorance on this topic! I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 I purchased Dec. 2006 and LOVE, but I have no idea what to use to clean the screen which has become quite filthy. Any and all advice is most appreciated!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Monnie,
I buy my cleaning kit from Staples. It''s a 2 step process. Tear away towelettes, the first is a moistened cleaning cloth. Then after that, there is a lint free polisihing cloth. Not sure of the name, comes in a square plastic container. Works great.
2.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I use a spray and a little tool (like a mini squeegee but rounded out with a cloth like material on it) to wipe my screen at work. I can't remember the name of it but I'll try to get it for you tomorrow. It works great!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1: canned air ... blow the dust off.
2: damp(not wet just barely damp) soft cloth wipe bottom too top with it folded and unfolding it for each pass(clean cloth used for each wipe).
3: dry soft cloth to finish.

Repeat with mild dish soap if needed.
That is the safest way some laptops have a anti-glare coating that even the monitor wipes will harm.
I talked to a friend the other day who is working in an authorized repair shop and that is what they do.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kaleigh, and snlee! I''ll get to Staples/officemax asap. Darn dogs and their snuffly lil wet noses, plus mom just being a slobbo. LOL!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/31/2007 1:05:47 AM
Author: strmrdr
2: damp(not wet just barely damp) soft cloth wipe bottom too top with it folded and unfolding it for each pass(clean cloth used for each wipe).

That is the safest way some laptops have a anti-glare coating that even the monitor wipes will harm.
I talked to a friend the other day who is working in an authorized repair shop and that is what they do.
Thanks Storm, I''ve used the canned air (DH is in the aerosol industry so we have lots of those products around,), I wondered if a damp towel wouldn''t work but hated to take a chance on messing up the screen. Are paper towels ok to use, or do I need to make sure to use something super soft like the dust towels you mentioned, I have some of those microfiber ones.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
"I clean" or" I clear" for apple lap tops also works well

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it matter if I have a dell vs. Apple? I know, I'm completely ignorant about this whole subject, sorry...but thanks for your info everyone!

ETA: also, storm if I still have your attention i would like to pose one more question! Our desktop has MS word (probably 2003 or earlier) but my laptop doesn't have any MS word program on it. We cannot find the MS word CD to download whatever version it is onto my laptop. Should I bite the bullet and go out and buy an older word version I can actually afford? I just can't afford right now to get the newest version, I've looked up prices online and 2007 version at its barest is upwards of $100, and office version is over $200. Advice? Thanks, as always.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 1:08:21 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 7/31/2007 1:05:47 AM
Author: strmrdr

Thanks Storm, I''ve used the canned air (DH is in the aerosol industry so we have lots of those products around,), I wondered if a damp towel wouldn''t work but hated to take a chance on messing up the screen. Are paper towels ok to use, or do I need to make sure to use something super soft like the dust towels you mentioned, I have some of those microfiber ones.
never use paper towels!!!
I use old 100% cotton white t-shirts with the collar and arms cut off.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2007 1:16:50 AM
Author: monarch64
Does it matter if I have a dell vs. Apple? I know, I'm completely ignorant about this whole subject, sorry...but thanks for your info everyone!

ETA: also, storm if I still have your attention i would like to pose one more question! Our desktop has MS word (probably 2003 or earlier) but my laptop doesn't have any MS word program on it. We cannot find the MS word CD to download whatever version it is onto my laptop. Should I bite the bullet and go out and buy an older word version I can actually afford? I just can't afford right now to get the newest version, I've looked up prices online and 2007 version at its barest is upwards of $100, and office version is over $200. Advice? Thanks, as always.
What do you use office for?
If its just word processing then download and try openoffice before buying anything.
http://www.openoffice.org/

btw even if you found the cd it wont install without a new code on another computer.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thx storm, we have plenty of soft white undershirts that need to be put to good use lying around, I will use one to clean the screen! Also, I only need to use MSword to attach ressies to my emails, I''m currently looking for a job and most require sending a resume as an attachment in MSword form. So I really need to download the program to my laptop, as our desktop is in the basement which is DH''s "cave"/DOMAIN! LOL! It would just be easier on me being a sunshine lover to hang out upstairs in the light of day and respond to jobs, ya know? I''ll try openoffice for sure tomorrow morning...if that doesn''t work I guess I will have to go out and buy a similar program? Thanks for all your help!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, thanks so much, my screen is totally clean now thanks to one of DH''s old white tees (I didn''t bother to cut out the collar or sleeves, he''s a super big guy so there was a lot of seam-free fabric to work with, lol!) AND I have the office program loading as I type! TY, Ty, TY!

How''s Wifey2Be doing, haven''t heard much from her or really either of you lately....hope all is going well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results