shape
carat
color
clarity

Random ? from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dq808

Rough_Rock
I''ve been following the forum for some time now, and I''ve learned a lot about diamonds. I do have a random ?

Why do people mean by eye-clean in reference to VS and SI diamonds? I thought that the definition of VS is that inclusions could not be seen without magnification and that the definition of SI was that inclusions could be seen without magnification.

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 3:05:02 PM
Author:dq808
I''ve been following the forum for some time now, and I''ve learned a lot about diamonds. I do have a random ?

Why do people mean by eye-clean in reference to VS and SI diamonds? I thought that the definition of VS is that inclusions could not be seen without magnification and that the definition of SI was that inclusions could be seen without magnification.

Thanks!

Well....it''s not that clear cut unfortunately. MOST VS diamonds do not have visible inclusions, but it is possible that they have small inclusions that aren''t serious enough to warrant SI quality, but can still be seen with the naked eye.

It''s also possible to have SI diamonds with big inclusions that just happen to be hidden very well by the cut of the stone.

It''s not only about eyecleanliness, but clarity is also about the type of inclusions in the stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2007 3:05:02 PM
Author:dq808

Thanks!
Many variables here and you can''t assume anything! I don''t know if you have seen this thread, but it should answer most of your questions with luck!
35.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamond clarity is graded under 10x mag. it has nothing to do with how visible inclusions are without mag.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond clarity grades are set using 10X, but graders regularly inspect diamonds using higher magnification to locate inclusions and then zomm back to examine them at 10x. The eye clean issue is resolved by using good definitions between seller and consumer. Most every dealer uses a slightly different definition and many use no definition at all. Caveat Emptor! It really matters what you see, face-up, when the ring is being worn. Once you decide to buy a diamond with a potentially eye-visible blemish you need to be sure that YOU are going to be pleased with its overall beauty. There is nothing wrong about a diamond with a small eye-visible blemish. It is much more a matter of personal taste and how YOU decide to spend your money.

Ask yourself, what kind of a person is going to wear this ring? Are they very picky and will they very cloely examine the diamond? Are they the kind of person who will look at it as a symbolic gift of love and say THANKS, I love you too and never look very closely at the stone you were good enough to give them as a gift? Are they somewhat in the middle of these two extremes?

Eye-visible and eye-clean are elusive terms that only a few well intentioned dealers define properly. The diamond trade does not use this term to any given standard. Its open season with this term year round. Used properly, the term is important to buyers and sellers, but its misuse is more commonplace.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results