shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone fly lately--need help with rules on carry-on liquids...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My family and I are leaving for a trip to Mexico on Saturday. We''re going 100% carry-on. I have a quart size baggie for each of us and I''ve been putting in small bottles of things like shampoo, sunscreen, toothpaste. My question is what is REALLY the allowable max size....

The airlines website say 100ml or 3.4 oz. TSA''s website says 3.0 ounces. My hair salon got me travel sizes of the products needed to help keep my hair from frying in the sun but they are all 100ml...... I can''t find anything definite about whether the 100ml bottles will fly or get taken from me.

So, does anyone have any personal experience with this? I''ve looked at getting the clear travel bottles and transfering stuff but honestly they are the same size as the 3.4 ounce bottles I already have....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it's the 3.4oz ... i flew recently and they have a TSA video playing at all the airports, but i think it said 3.4oz. and you can only use one size of the baggies, like a quart size i think. so you might have to have multiple baggies.

i wouldn't go all carry on because i am too paranoid about stuff getting taken from me. all you need is one person having a bad day who decides your items somehow irritate them then you are going to be having to buy product in Mexico. when we fly, the stuff in my baggie is just a few basics like purell 1.5oz i think, some lip glosses, lotion, and eye drop fluid.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
3 ounces or less (and it's surprise how big that can be sometimes) in a quart-sized zip-lock baggie. (must be totally see through). Only one baggie per person. This includes any non-powder makeup like mascara or liquid base, although I think lipstick may be exempt. Sunscreen and bug repellent is also covered.
You must have the baggie out and in one of those bins to go through the x-ray. Some airports will want to examine your baggie before you enter the security line. Our local airport puts a sticker on our baggie, which is a pita because I always get behind people with three baggies or who think yogurt or bottled water doesn't count.
20.gif

ETA: Maybe they've upped it to 3.4, but I've been sticking to 3 as safer.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
go with the tsa website, they are the most current. some airports may be more lax and others more strict, so you need to go with what the official word is (tsa).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I stick to 3 oz, but really, have not had a problem in a long while. I also make sure my containers are clear.

I only do carry on...too much lost luggage nowadays. My friend actually has a funny story that I will have to tell later as I am off to a meeting.

Oh, and I have been carrying a big tube of toothpaste (not full though) that no one has ever stopped me on. The more I fly, the more I believe that the TSA isn''t going to stop terrorism...they''re just too lame.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I would also go with the TSA website says, so 3 ounces. I've flown quite often in the last year or so and every airport has different rules. However, most of the time they are very strict on the 3 ounce or less and only one clear zip lock bag per person rule.

Have a great trip IslandDreams!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 3:01:03 PM
Author: TravelingGal

The more I fly, the more I believe that the TSA isn''t going to stop terrorism...they''re just too lame.
I COMPLETELY agree. The TSA and the ever-changing mind-numbingly stupid rules only serve to further infuriate the traveling public.

I''ve gotten to the point where I stick all my liquids in checked baggage because I hate to see them going through my stuff. They will closely examine your baggie. Ridiculous.

Oh, and fyi, contact solution and other "medically necessary" items don''t have to go in the baggie. I do think you have to put them in the bin, but the size and bagged requirement don''t apply.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 4:08:20 PM
Author: sumbride
Oh, and fyi, contact solution and other ''medically necessary'' items don''t have to go in the baggie. I do think you have to put them in the bin, but the size and bagged requirement don''t apply.
Which is exactly why the liquids policy won''t do anything. If people want to sneak something on, they can just put it in an empty bottle of contact solution, or a baby bottle, for that matter
20.gif

Every time I "forget"
11.gif
to follow the liquids rules, the security people say "next time you need to follow x, y and z rules" and give it right back to me.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the 3 vs. 3.4 ouce question, but I do believe that you can buy liquids in the airport after you clear security. So you could save yourself some room in your baggie by getting your toothpaste or whatever after you get to the airport.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
While I was there the sign said 3 oz and that was about a month ago. Make sure you put it in a clear zip lock.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 4:08:20 PM
Author: sumbride

Date: 7/12/2007 3:01:03 PM
Author: TravelingGal

The more I fly, the more I believe that the TSA isn''t going to stop terrorism...they''re just too lame.
I COMPLETELY agree. The TSA and the ever-changing mind-numbingly stupid rules only serve to further infuriate the traveling public.

I''ve gotten to the point where I stick all my liquids in checked baggage because I hate to see them going through my stuff. They will closely examine your baggie. Ridiculous.

Oh, and fyi, contact solution and other ''medically necessary'' items don''t have to go in the baggie. I do think you have to put them in the bin, but the size and bagged requirement don''t apply.
Yup. The only good thing that''s ever come out of it for me is that I found a solid lipgloss I like since for awhile those gel-style glosses were banned.

I was in Washington DC last August when all the hoopla happened and all carry ons were banned for awhile. I remember flying home to LA and not allowed to carry even chapstick. The air dried out my lips so bad they cracked and bled and were in very bady shape by the time we landed. It''s funny how something so little could be SO agonizing, but I swear, I felt my dry lips took over my entire head.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Check with your local airport. DH just flew and all of his liquid items had to fit inside a quart sized ziploc. I don''t remember the size of each individual item. He keeps travel sizes on hand when he flies anyway.

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
It''s 3.0 ounces. I had my nearly-empty 3.4 ounce container of hair gel confiscated earlier this year, never mind that it and toothpaste were the only things in my one-quart baggie. Apparently 15 ounces of liquid are much safer when split into 5 containers, vs. only 2 ounces of the same stuff in a deadly 3.4 ounce container. Never mind that once you get through security you can buy a liter bottle of water and pour all your tiny 3.0 ounce containers into it, ending up with exactly what you weren''t allowed to take through security. Or that you and four friends can pool all your little containers... oh never mind. Now I''m going to get a call from Homeland Security and end up in Guantanamo.

I think you should at least do one check in with light packing. One is because they will toss out all of your expensive make-up if it is even slightly over the limit imposed by the airline or TSA, which can differ, or if the limit were to change while you were traveling as happened while I was traveling--almost had to toss two 50 bottles of sake but I made them box it for me and give me a free 3rd check in baggage:). Two, you might find some alcohol or other liquid/gel substance you want in mexico. If you do you won't be able to take it back with you. Three, many of the agents perform their duties very poorly. Last trip I took they went up and down the line screaming and yelling and snatching drinks out of old ladies hands. I had to pour out my tea, they were like nazi's. Then I got to Japan, opened up my carry on and what did I find out that I had forgotten? A gigantic 10 oz (or some similar size) bottle of mouth wash. Just sitting there in the bottom of my bag. Very disappointing after all of the rude behavior and strictness they exhibited.

In the same way, some people will just take your 50 dollar within the limit size of make-up and throw it away. As happened to my gf. When I wasn't looking of course, or you can bet I would have had the head of airport security down there in a couple of minutes.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to a luggage store and get 3 ounce bottles. I think you need to check with your individual airline, or at least print that page out, because TSA is who you are going to see at check in. I had a 4 ounce bottle of face stuff leaving Aspen and TSA took it and put it in my bag, this was an very expensive item and brand new, did not want to toss it, so I begged the guy to put it in my luggage, which he did. If you can print the TSA page, then you could produce it if they give you an issue...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 10:36:00 PM
Author: chiefneil
It''s 3.0 ounces. I had my nearly-empty 3.4 ounce container of hair gel confiscated earlier this year, never mind that it and toothpaste were the only things in my one-quart baggie. Apparently 15 ounces of liquid are much safer when split into 5 containers, vs. only 2 ounces of the same stuff in a deadly 3.4 ounce container. Never mind that once you get through security you can buy a liter bottle of water and pour all your tiny 3.0 ounce containers into it, ending up with exactly what you weren''t allowed to take through security. Or that you and four friends can pool all your little containers... oh never mind. Now I''m going to get a call from Homeland Security and end up in Guantanamo.
LOL...I never thought of it that way. Too funny.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20.gif
Seems like the rules change all the time. DH travels much more frequently than I do and has never had a problem with using 3 oz. containers and a 1qt. baggie. I was totally paranoid travelling last fall to NJ and had my nail polishes and lipsticks and every other cosmetic in the 1qt baggie and the gal checking my baggie was rolling her eyes at me and told me to put my lip glosses/sticks AND nail polishes in my purse and not worry about them. Sheesh. My one problem is contact solution, I think the "travel size" of my brand comes in a larger-than-3oz version and since I''m so paranoid I just make a stop at the local drugstore wherever my destination is and get a bottle of it there. I really don''t mind travel regulations, I just hate being prodded through security like a dumb cow, the airport employees are sometimes not so nice, esp. in the security check point lines.

Enjoy your trip to Mexico, Island Dreams!!! I''m sure it will be wonderful, hope you post some pics when you get back! Btw, I''m in braces now and feeling yours and your son''s pain, lol! (But I''m so glad I went through with it!)
35.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for the responses. I went to the luggage store and looked for travel size bottles. None of them say 3.0 ounces on them. And they are the same physical size as my 100ml bottles. So, I decided to just put the original bottles in the baggie and hope for the best. I turned the size part around to the inside making it harder for the TSA people to spot. But if they take them, I guess I''ll just find some shampoo/conditioner/gel spray in Mexico. Everything else we have is in the baggies and below the 3.0 ounces. I think we have 5 bottles of 3.0 sunscreen in one baggie along with some 1.0 ounce versions.

Only a few more hours at work today and then off to Chicago for dinner (Greek town I think) and staying by the airport. We fly early Saturday AM. Can''t wait to see the look on my son''s face when I get him up at 3am to make the plane.

Monarch--good luck in your braces. I am so happy to be traveling without them this year. My son is down to a retainer right now. He''s between stages...done with the initial braces and expanders. They put him in retainers until most of his adult teeth are in. He will probably be getting full braces late 2008 or 2009 when he is 11 or 12.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Great thread! I will be traveling on business next week and I have not flown since before 9/11. Great tips everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results