shape
carat
color
clarity

White South Sea Pearls

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I know nothing about pearls. I have been reading up a little on pearls. I read that South Seas start out at 10mm. I have found some at 9mm. I wonder if they are real SS. They are from one of pearl venders mentioned on PS. They are set as stud earrings.

Any pearl experts please chime in. I want to start a little collection of pearls. Thanks.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you NacreLover. I really been wanting some South Sea Pearl studs. I got bitten by the pearl bug. And I have a fever, that won't go away until I get some studs!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
If you have truly been bitten, the fever will worsen when you get your SS studs. You've been warned... join the club...

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
also once you get your studs, please post lots and lots of pics!!!!!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
After reading upon the different types of pearls, I can't decide if I should go with White South Seas or Akoya. I like that the Akoyas have the most luster. But the WSS are stunningly white, which I like. And I read they have a thicker nacre so it is more durable than the Akoyas. Ugh, I like both equally, just for different reasons.

This is going to be hard for me to decide. It doesnt help that i already have a hard time making up my mind. So, which would you buy and tell me your reasons why you picked it. Thanks.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Have you compared great quality akoya's with white ss side by side? If not call PP and ask for a glamor shot of them in one photo. There is quite a difference in the look. You won't have to worry about the nacre wearing to the bead with akoya earrings, so a lifetime of wear should be expected if you don't throw them in a filled jewelry box when you're not wearing them. If you like big white pearls, you can't beat WSS pearls.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with NacreLover - have PP take pictures of the twp pearl types side by side so you can compare the two. Or go to your local jewelry store and see them in person. I have large Hanadama studs and white SS dangle earrings and love both! Good luck!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area. It's quite a drive to the next city. (I still miss my hometown)

Anyhow, I contacted PP and a very nice lady spoke with me. She will send me pictures of both WSS & Akoya. I will await the pictures and give my feedback later. Thank you all for the advice. I'm really excited to be getting some pearl studs. Who knew I was a pearl girl. LOL.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
If there is one thing I have learned. Once you get the pearl bug, it never goes away! :naughty: :wacko:

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ckrickett, I haven't even got my studs & I'm already thinking of Blue Akoyas too.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Pearls are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one :lol: I have 8.5-9mm natural white handama akoya studs and 11-12mm wSS studs and I absolutely love both pairs! I purchased the akoya studs first and wear them as more of an everyday casual kind of earring. The handama grade from PP will have thick nacre. I usually wear my wSS when I dress up a bit more. My advice would be to go with akoya if you are looking for smaller studs or wSS if you want something larger. I would love to add 10mm white freshadamas to my collection too! Good luck deciding!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
After reading and looking at pictures about natural white hanadamas, WSS, blue Akoyas, I finally made a decision.

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
bsomlo|1401139540|3680519 said:
If you have truly been bitten, the fever will worsen when you get your SS studs. You've been warned... join the club...
LitGeek|1401240945|3681340 said:
Pearls are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one :lol:
I couldn't agree more!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
After looking at the natural white hanadamas, WSS, and even some blue Akoyas. Going back and forth on what I like. Even having hubby look at pictures. I kept going back to the WSS. Hubby even picked out WSS. The natural white handamas are really beautiful, very lustrous with a hint of rose/blue, but the WSS...there's just something about them. Blindingly white, satin like finish. Also it was Angelina Jolies studs I fell in love with. The first time I saw her wear them was when I knew I just had to get me some.

Anyhow, that is what I decided upon. When I get them, I will be sure to post. Thank you all for your help. And a shoutout to NacreLover. I've read some of your post on PP. Very helpful.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful decision! Please keep us in the loop. I don't own a single WSS pearl! (Yet, tee hee.)

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking it was going to be white South Sea pearls. There is nothing else quite like them, and besides, that is the title of your thread. So, go with your heart. They'll be lovely. :appl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
bsomlo|1401398427|3682663 said:
Wonderful decision! Please keep us in the loop. I don't own a single WSS pearl! (Yet, tee hee.)
My guess this will change at the end of July when you can shop in person...

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies. Is it funny that in all my past jewelry purchases, this was the hardest to decide on which studs to get? I'm so excited. I feel like a little girl on Christmas, waiting for the parents to wake up so I can open presents! I'm drunk with giddy.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Gothgrrl - I think you'll be be amazed at your new WSS studs! Great pick!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Gothgrrl|1401418958|3682866 said:
Thanks ladies. Is it funny that in all my past jewelry purchases, this was the hardest to decide on which studs to get? I'm so excited. I feel like a little girl on Christmas, waiting for the parents to wake up so I can open presents! I'm drunk with giddy.

Great choice, wSS pearls are my favorite :love: I am sure you will love them!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Are they here yet, are they here yet? Can't wait to see them, lol.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all. Thought I'd give you an update. Due to strings of bad luck, I have to put off getting my earrings. I'm very bummed. But I know when funds allow, I will be getting those lovely WSS.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear this, but time flies and before you know it, you'll be back posting pictures of your new earrings.

Keep us posted!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh darn, it is so annoying when life gets in the way of pearl purchases ! Fortunately there are always beautiful pearls out there waiting for you so save up and you'll enjoy them even more when you finally get them !! :wink2:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
aw darn! Well you know what you want. Id use the time until you can to research sizes, and vendors. I find (for me) that it helps with the waiting, and is fun too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results