shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi, so my little octopus is about to be birthed and I now have a choice of body colours, or rather how oxidised I would like it to be. Which of these would you choose?

image_3527.jpgimage_3528.jpgimage_3529.jpgimage_3530.jpg

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with lovinggems! I also really like the bottom one, SD.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I'm odd duck...I like either the first or last option. I think they both offer nice contrast rather than matching...but no bad choices to be had!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I also like 0 and D. The first looks silver, and the last looks wet. I think I'd choose D.
Mine looks a lot like M, but I have a Tahitian, so the head isn't as large.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the SL, the second photo. To me it makes the ripple glow.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
SM or SD, both look really terrific with the pearl

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
All so cute! For me, the second one makes the body textures pop, the last one makes that lovely pearl pop the most ... so, pearl or body? No wrong answers here, they're all adorable ... I want one ...

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
pearlsngems|1431360207|3875113 said:
I like the SL, the second photo. To me it makes the ripple glow.

I too vote for SL, it just look the most balanced on color

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
CRDKeshi|1431363758|3875135 said:
All so cute! For me, the second one makes the body textures pop, the last one makes that lovely pearl pop the most ... so, pearl or body?

I chose mine based on the pearl (Kamoka).
Will the new batch all be ripple pearls? Maybe I need a second. :naughty:

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I like the last 3, but for different reasons:

#2 SL- Colors are balanced and it's a good choice if you prefer lighter metal for your skin tone.
#3 SM - Colors look the most naturally matched... sort of like an octopus you'd find in nature!
#4 SD- Colors pop with the contrast. I love the dramatic touches of blue/green in this.

#1 is just kind of "blah" to me.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I like Silver Light. I presume the code is Silver with Zero oxidation, Light, Medium or Dark. I would start with SL and over time, if you don't polish it, it will gradually go to SM then SD.

I like SL because it seems to pick up the silvery highlights in the pearl best.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SD for me, it just looks the most pleasing to my eyes as an octopus with the slightly lopsided shape and colour contrast towards the base, whereas the others remind me of the aliens in Mars Attacks! (great film, one of Tim Burton's finest along with Beetlejuice IMHO).

DK :))

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for chiming in on your thoughts! I like how Fly Girl thinks so SL it is! But... Now I feel like I should get a Tahitian instead after seeing NL's amazing one. Argh. Fickle minded me.

I will be back in case of any new developments and/or with the final product.

Fly Girl|1431381518|3875229 said:
I like Silver Light. I presume the code is Silver with Zero oxidation, Light, Medium or Dark. I would start with SL and over time, if you don't polish it, it will gradually go to SM then SD.

I like SL because it seems to pick up the silvery highlights in the pearl best.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
One more thing to think about when choosing a metal finish is what will the octo hang on to make a statment necklace. I can see the top three suspended on pink/lavender rope of metallic 5/6mm pearls. Or the last on a strand of cut opal or labordrite beads. Have fun choosing :mrgreen:

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
4RanchGirl, can you describe how this hangs from a strand of pearls? I have seen the photos (ennui and others) wearing this on a chain...but can't imagine how he hangs from pearls (unless there is a clip on his underbelly?)

Octogirl

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm thinking perhaps we should start a new thread called "training your cephalopod".

Each of these little octos is a unique individual, but they all share one trait in common: they only have one totally closed tentacle, just to the right of the head. That is a good tentacle to use if you want to hang your pet from a chain. Depending on the size of the pearl, the next tentacle to the left of the head may also be closed, or may have a small gap between the tentacle and the pearl. The tentacles can be bent slightly and gently with a pair of round-nosed pliers if needed to adjust the opening. If worn over pearls or beads, you may need to spread the beads apart in order to get the thread over the end of the tentacle.

As with puppies or small children, training can take time and patience.

As you will see from the photos below, my little guy is quite acrobatic! Seen here frolicking on a strand of 5mm pearls.

_30166.jpg

_30167.jpg

_30168.jpg

_30169.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
THANK YOU!!! And just like puppies, these creatures are irresistible.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
The strand of pearls came from Pearl Paradise in 2009 when they began bringing in metallics. They are 6.5 to 7 mm gold body with all different overtones. The enhancer I found in my jewelry box on a gemstone pendent. It is 14kt and has a snap closure. I have it on the open arm of the octo but it wide and thick enough not to slip between the pearls and arm. The metals don't match but blend well enough to work.

img_7893.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'm super excited! And Sheri is such a sweetie... She dug from her secret stash a wonderful kamoka pearl that I will be getting instead of the ripple that I'd posted earlier. See, after seeing NL's Tahitian version I just had to have a Tahitian one too and Sheri is such a sweetie (wait I already said that but yeah).

Anyway I'm here to share pics! :)

image_3532.jpg

image_3533.jpg

He's so cute right?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Icy terrific pearl for your new octo baby :appl: :appl: :appl: Sheri has wonderful pearls in her stach. Good job and congratulations.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Icy jade, are you getting in oxidized silver too? Love that beautiful sea green Kamoka you selected.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch how brilliant to use another clip to work this fella on your pearls.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. Sheri described the kamoka pearl as having "amazing mirror luster, greenish with cherry overtones". She said the pearl shows the most with light oxidation so I'm going with that. One more pic:

:)

image_3536.jpg

Was trying to do a bit of color correction but the pearl came out all weird looking. But anyway you can still see the mirror luster.

I shall now impatiently wait for it to make its long journey across the world to where I am. ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results