shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the difference between freshwater & sea water pearl?

love_paradise

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am not a pearl expert, and i am wondering what is the difference between freshwater and sea water pearl? what is natural color of freshwater pearl and sea water pearl? :tongue:

leyhuong

Shiny_Rock
Re: What is the difference between freshwater & sea water pe

I am sure you will find tons of information on the web. Just to summarize the basics for you, the basic differences between cultured freshwater and cultured saltwater pearls are:

Chemical composition: While both are composed of calcium mostly, freshwater pearls have chemical element Mn (Manganese) while Saltwater pearls do not.

Nacre: Freshwater pearls' nacre chemical compounds are more loosely combined that the compounds making up nacre of the saltwater pearls. In other words, the nacre deposited by saltwater pearl is tighter, which explains the strong luster in saltwater pearls that freshwater pearls can hardly compete (lack of).

Different aquatic environments & Method of how they are cultured

Shape: Only saltwater pearl has perfect spherical shape.

Price based on supply/demand. Supply is driven by rarity (which is driven by difficulty in culturing) and mass preference

love_paradise

Rough_Rock
Trade

Thank you so much! But which colors there are in saltwater pearl? I mean natural color. one the thread, I have had some pictures of saltwater pearl in gray, silver blue, white and lavender. the shape is round and baroque.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

Are you talking akoya salt water pearls or salt water in general, South Sea Pearls, White, Black and Golden? If you went to the link I sent you to the photos of the pearls are there with the descriptions of the pearls. Freshwater come in a myriad of different natural colors especially with the new exotics. Are you trying to decide if a strand you saw were natural color pearls?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results