shape
carat
color
clarity

What color gold post & backing for these earrings?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
What color gold post & backing do you think fits best for the below simple pearl stud earrings?

I know the answer is what color gold I prefer, esp. as it won't be seen when wearing, but what you choose for a 6-8 mm pearl studs in the colors of:

1) white with slight silver overtones

2) black with light copper overtones

Please note, I'm a yellow gold lover and that is my preference but would a yellow gold setting not work on the above pearl colors.

(Not a very good question, I know, but still.)

Thanks.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
If pearl color alone was the only consideration, my preference would be white gold with the silvery white earrings and yellow gold with the coppery blacks. However, I really do think it's just personal preference, I haven't noticed much standardization with gold color vs. pearl color at all. It's even less important since with studs, you probably don't even see the gold. If yellow gold is your preference and what your other jewelry is, then I would not think you'd go wrong with yellow gold. :)

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I would use white gold with the first, and how about rose gold for the pearls that are black with copper overtones?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I generally don't care what color they use. They don't show anyway. Rose gold findings are hard to come by. The likelyhood they have the medium/large earring backs to hold large MM pearls up on your ear is questionable. I usually just ask for what they have the most in stock. Dangle/leverbacks is something else.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I get 14k yellow gold for posts and backs for pearl studs, when I have a choice. It is to avoid any possible future nickel allergies from white gold.

It doesn't matter what the pearl color is, since they won't be seen.

naria

Shiny_Rock
Like Fly Girl, I'm sensitive to nickle. Not all white gold is made with it. Some is made with a material I believe called Palladium instead which tends not to produce allergic reactions. I buy yellow gold just to avoid the issue all together, but if there is a chance you are sensitive and prefer the look of white gold it might be worth asking for nickle-free white gold alternatives. It is my understanding that Palladium is a little more expensive than nickle so this may raise your costs slightly. However, stud backs are so small that I imagine the effect is pretty negligible. A little more expensive, but platinum is also a good choice for the white look for people with nickle problems.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much all. I really appreciate it ! Good point about the white gold & allergies; I never knew that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results