shape
carat
color
clarity

"Walking" pearls

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been noticing lately that my pearls seem to have a habit of spinning around my neck during the day. It's particularly noticeable with shorter strands that have a definite center pearl like my blue-green strand or my multicolour strand. I'll be going along thinking things are fine...and then suddenly I'll catch a glimpse of myself and my center pearl is halfway up one side of my neck! Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I've been wearing pendants on chains my entire adult life, and reaching back periodically to find where the clasp is sitting on the back of my neck is a well-ingrained habit. I find the clasp and center it on the back of my neck, and voila, the piece is centered for the time being. :))

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Mine always wind around my neck in the same direction, too.

Yes, periodic adjustments seem to be the way to go...

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You can pin them to a shirt tag behind your collar if you're wearing something like that. Other wise they do move during the day unless the front pearls are large and weighty.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My necklaces move also, always in the same direction: the clasp moves down the right side of my neck.

(I wonder if that's because I'm right handed? If using the right hand more, or hiking up the right shoulder when carrying a purse, is the culprit? Do lefties find the clasp moves to the left?)

I find myself checking the position multiple times during the day and correcting it. Sometimes I start the day with the clasp a bit left of center at the back of my neck. That slows the clasp's migration down the right side. *sigh*

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Let this be our biggest problem, that our beautiful strands don't stay in position perfectly. I am happy to readjust my clasp/central pearl throughout the day. How lucky we are to have this "problem"!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
CMD2014 I don't find my walking. Maybe it depends on the clasp type. My strands don't seem to move very much maybe an inch at most. I do check quite a bit for the ball to be centered in back, habit.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I suppose you could try a piece of fashion tape on the back ... I'm thinking of those little strips they sell to secure low-cut blouses and such. Hollywood fashion tape, I think it's called.

For myself, I wouldn't worry about it. I recall being at an event and someone told me the clasp on my gold chain was showing, as if I'd committed some major social faux pas. :lol:

Fortunately, most pearl strands have attractive clasps.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm glad that it's not just me, and yes, it is a good problem to have! Not that I don't have others, mind you....but this is at least a fun one! ;))

I will have to pay attention to which direction mine migrate in (I'm sure it's the same direction every time) and maybe start out a bit skewed. Or just adjust. More excuse to touch them I guess.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Great ideas here. Another option probably won't help with strands you already have but you could consider an endless strand in the future. Then it doesn't make any difference if it walks. But of course it couldn't be too short of a strand or it might not fit over your head. :)

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm - I haven't paid attention to which way mine move but I'll try to today!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Thought of this thread today as I kept adjusting the clasp of my chain...

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine were traveling up to the right yesterday (I was wearing my blue-green Tahitians with a pair of dark/aubergine stud earrings). I have to say, despite the traveling issue, my blue-green Tahitian strand from the sale have become my favourite stand. They just shine, and look amazing with the black suits that are my wardrobe fall through spring. I have started to think of them as my power strand.

DH's favourite is a toss-up between my white and grey muticolour strand and the grey ones from AP. He says "oooh, that's my favourite" every time I wear one of those two strands. Truthfully, I'm not convinced he can tell them apart. :devil:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
My DH has long stopped commenting on any pearls I wear...

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm lucky DH is so willing to try...but it does make sneaking new purchases past him a challenge.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I was wearing my 26" Tahitian strand the other day and no walking!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
My pearls with a regular type clasp "walk" all the time, but the last few strands I've ordered I've ordered the pearls at 17 inches plus an extender chain of either 3 or 4 inches. On the end of the chain is a small pearl that coordinates with the rest of the strand. These strands do not ever walk. I think it is the weight of the pearl and extender chain that keeps it in place. I love this combination as I can adjust my strand depending on what I'm wearing and the pearls don't wander around my neck. =)

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I wore my madama strand today with a ball clasp laser and it didn't "walk" at all, I just realized. I think the roughness of the clasp kept it from sliding on my neck.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I agree bsomio all of my strands have the ball clasp laser, they move very slightly, but do not walk.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting, I know what clasp I will choose next! Thanks bsomlo and Frost me.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine walk despite having those clasps. I'm a shift to the left person (the clasp goes down to the right all the time on me). Maybe it's a combo of a chubby neck and lots of looking to the left (my client chair is to the left of my desk).

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Well, to my great surprise, I wore my mini torsade today and discovered the clasp had moved all the way forward -- I would not have thought that bow-tie shaped clasp would move!

pp_torsade_clasp_4.jpg

pp_torsade_clasp_5.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results