shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Jazz Age Inspired Rope

naria

Shiny_Rock
I don't want to thread bogart so I thought I'd start my own. I was really inspired by the Tiffany rope that Misskittycat posted the other day. For refresher: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGrid=1&sku=29402523&mcat=148206&cid=2605758&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+2605758-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

I've been working with PP to create a version of this (that mothers day code was burning too much of a hole in my pocket). I've been wanting a 100" rope for a long time so we're making mine that length instead of the original 87". Part of the reason I'm in love with this design is that while I love the length of ropes, I get headaches very easily from too much necklace weight on my neck so the delicate pearls which make up the bulk of the design help lighten the load as it were.

small_pearls_for_rope.jpg

I also wanted to incorporate some larger pearls since I felt that Tiffany's use of only two sizes made the necklace feel a little too symmetrical. I asked to have 2" of 5mm (s) pearls interspersed with 7-8mm (M) and 8-9mm (L) pearls in the following repeating pattern. ssssssssMssssssssMssssssssMssssssssL

alternating_pattern_for_rope.jpg

In addition to having the flexibility to change the design, the other reason I'm glad I went with a custom item was that I was able to up the quality and the whole project was still less than half the cost of the inspiration item. The original necklace that sparked the creation of this project looks to be AA+ pearls at best when I looked up blog photos of the Gatspy rope. PP is doing mine AAA.

Hisano has really gone above and beyond to make my rope a success. I especially appreciate her efforts since my project isn't a very big commission piece. Even with their blackout during one of their high selling seasons, she managed to come up with some mock ups for my project. I don't have the necklace yet, but here is the work samples she sent me. She suggested an alternative to fish clasp after I took your guy's advice about it not being appropriately strong for this project and suggested one from her own line. Though it is diminutive, I think it compliments the strand nicely and will give me added flexibility in case I ever want to wear an epic choker. She also talked me through my options for stringing the project. We debated the merits of knotting every pearl vs just the larger pearls. Based on her expertise with little pearls in her littleh collection, she noted that they can have a wavy appearance if knotted every pearl so suggested fewer knots more strategically placed.

clasp_options_for_rope.jpg

Anyways, I thought I'd share the pictures of this project in progress. When it arrives next week or the week after I'll post the completed necklace.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for posting this Naria. Your custom rope did deserve it's own thread. I love your design and it makes your rope special and yours only. I'm glad you posted all the before photo glamor shots of your custom necklace. I will make a great before and after thread to come back to in the future.
I don't know how PP could work last week with the horrible power/internet/phone outage. It couldn't have come at a worse time unless it was Christmas.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Naria I am so excited about your rope! I love all of the choices you have made and look forward to seeing the final piece :appl: :appl: :appl: Thanks so much for sharing!

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I am excited for you. I saw Tiffany rope in person and it is just plainly beautiful. I would agree pearls are AA+ quality, uniform and symmetrical. What I like about Tiffany rope, instead of a clasp, they used a tiffany marked crimp. It was almost unnoticeable. Which I think is very convenient, because when you wear it, it tend to move anyway, unless there is a lot of weight, or pearls are graduated, so there is not much movement. Tiffany crimp is a beauty, I try to look for something similar, but there is none that I found so far.
Good luck with your project, please post your end result!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
This looks like it will be an incredible necklace! I can't wait to see the finished piece. Yay! :love:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
naria, the little you've shown us is STUNNING! I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Love the pic of all the strands, they just glow :love: I am anxious to see the finished project Naria, I have long thought about a pearl rope and have not found the right one yet, yours has a unique twist to it and I like that! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

naria

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm really excited for this necklace. I'll be sure to post the finished product when it arrives and share my impressions.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I just saw The Great Gatsby and let me tell you, those pearl ropes were wonderful! As we left the theater I turned to the fam and said, "You know what's next..."

I look forward to seeing your creation!

naria

Shiny_Rock
I have some glamor shots of the project and it should be shipping out tomorrow. Can't wait to see it in person and model it myself, but the PP pictures are so pretty I thought I would share. They have a better camera than me anyways :).

The first shot is just of the finished rope coiled.

100__rope_005__3_.jpg

The next shot is a closeup of the clasp. Hisano altered the pattern slightly near the clasp so that a larger pearl would be the very center of the rope. This was a great stylistic change and I'm glad she thought of it.

100__rope_004__2_.jpg

The next shot is the necklace on a model form to give an idea of wear.

100__rope_001__3_.jpg

Finally, they recreated the original tiffany's catalogue image for those thinking of a more faithful reproduction than the one I asked for:

100__rope_003_tiffanystyle.jpg

Anyways, I will try to get some modeling shots when the necklace arrives. I'm encourageble so I also got some lovely freshadama lavender earrings which had a fairly dark body and incredible blue overtones.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
gorgeous, simply gorgeous! :love:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
OMG NARIA!! They are AMAZING!! I am totally in love!!

I think that's going to have to be my next project. I plan on taking a look at the Tiffany rope when I am Honolulu next week to see how I feel but honestly, I think going custom is totally the way to go. Your rope is just breathtaking!

Can you give us an indication on the rough price range??

naria

Shiny_Rock
Enjoy your trip to Hawaii! So I used the mothers day email discount on the rope and spent ~460. Without the discount, the price I was quoted was ~580.

The nice thing about customizable though is that this rope really can be tweaked to make it come under budget. I personally didn't want to spend more than 500 on this project and sailed by with the discount code. But if I hadn't, a necklace a few inches shy of 100" would still have been impressive. Sticking with the original Tiffany's design for example would have been even more affordable since the largest pearls would have been 8mm instead of 9mm and the necklace would have been 15-20 inches shorter. I also used AAA quality, but others have suggested that the original design employed AA+ quality.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the price guidelines! That is so much cheaper than the Tiffany rope. And longer. And nicer! I will have a play with the Tiffany one next week to see how I feel about the length and take it from there. I like the contrast with the bigger pearls for sure.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
naria -- that is simply GORGEOUS! Please post a picture of you wearing it when possible!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Naria I absolutely love LOVE love your rope :love: :love: It is such a beauitful and classic design, one that I am sure you will enjoy and treasure for many years to come! :appl: :appl:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a pretty design :love: . I can see the Gatsby inspiration and it looks amazing :appl:

Have you seen Tiffany's tassel pearl necklace in person? Would like to get some thoughts before I make an effort to find it in the store. I like the design but the price is a bit much so I'm thinking of going your route.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
That is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see your shots!

naria

Shiny_Rock
So I haven't seen the tassel necklace in person. It looks really pretty though in the ad stills. If Alice87 is around, I know she's seen some of the Gatspy collection in person and may be able to speak about that particularly piece.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Have you received your necklace yet?! If so, please post pictures of you wearing it! When I was emailing with Hisano about my rope, she referenced to your project, too!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Yes yes!! Photos please!!!!

Well - I finally made it to Tiffany's to see the pearls... And....

I wasn't impressed.

I loved the styles of the pieces but I really felt the quality of the pearls let them down. The pearls in the 87 inch strand weren't very round and regular like you would expect. The lustre was ok and the overall time was well matched (I got quite a lot of peacock flashes) but I did not think they were superior quality for the price.

I was even less impressed with the tassel necklace. The pearls were quite obviously rice pearls and the silver fixing on the tassel did not look like it was really good quality at all. Disappointing, especially because I loved the style. It has made me even more determined to have something custom made. Perhaps a combination of the two? Or a detachable tassel? Hmmmmmm.....

On the bonus side, I tried on a few very lovely rings, including a gorgeous yellow diamond stunner from the Enchanted collection. Poor Mr K!!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
misskittykat -- I agree! I was especially unimpressed with the tassel seen "live". It looked clunky -- not delicate the way I envisioned from the pictures.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

naria

Shiny_Rock
I'm sorry to hear about the tassel necklace in person. The quality reasons where why I also went with a custom piece. Anyways, the necklace arrived tonight. I am smitten, but I want to live with the necklace for a few days, wear it a few different ways and then post some pictures after I feel acquainted--probably by the end of the week. Side note: I bought freshadama studs and one of them had a fairly large divot blemish. Should they go back?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results