shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendors with showrooms

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Besides PP, are there any other online pearl vendors with showrooms? I am a big Tahitian pearl fan, but it is very difficult to find more than a few strands in local general jewelry store, even a luxury store like Tiffany's. I feel like I really need to see more in person.

I asked PoJ and (as you know) there is no showroom.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, that's right, Kojima! I also read that The Pearl Source has a showroom.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a Macy's? A couple of Macy's near me have enormous jewelry sections. It's educational to look at all qualities and all price points.

If you have a large mall, walk through all the jewelry stores. Looking doesn't cost anything. There's a small chain called Na Hoku that is loaded with pearls.

Costco carries Tahitian pearls. And Akoyas. And South Seas. :naughty:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What part of the country are you in ? Most of those mentioned are in California. There's quite a few sellers with a showroom in NYC that just sell pearls. Google Pearl stores. ;-)

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I just asked Ashley McNamara if she has one... Will post the response.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I've never bought anything from them, but American Pearls site lists many strands of Tahitians. I contacted them recently trying to get pictures of some strands, but never heard back after two emails and a phone conversation - it was promised to me though. :angel:

Two Costco stores near me carry Tahitian necklaces (one at each location). But the color is so so - grey body with a little pinkish overtone.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Ennui, Katbran, NacroLover and Yingh. Every bit helps.

I'm in MD. It's not a great place to buy jewelry, hence, my previous trip to LA. I think VA is a little better, in Tyson's Corner. NYC is where I used to go for settings, but LA is great for that too.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1428425870|3858019 said:
Thanks, Ennui, Katbran, NacroLover and Yingh. Every bit helps.

I'm in MD. It's not a great place to buy jewelry, hence, my previous trip to LA. I think VA is a little better, in Tyson's Corner. NYC is where I used to go for settings, but LA is great for that too.

Hey, I am in NOVA. Will be happy to go to Tyson's for you :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can visit American Pearl in NYC if you phone for an appointment. They don't have a show room - they're just an office located above 5th avenue in midtown. They had quite a few Tahitian strands when I was there...but I was looking for Akoyas at the time, so I only looked briefly at the Tahitians (they were beautiful though). I've bought a few things from them online since then and have been very happy with the quality of what I have received. They can be slow to answer phone calls or emails though. I suspect it's because they don't have that many employees...I think there were 3 people there when I was there. The other fun thing is that they are walking distance from Mikimoto, Tiffany's, and Harry Winston's...so it's a jewelry fest! Be prepared for sticker shock though!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
yingh|1428417358|3857944 said:
Two Costco stores near me carry Tahitian necklaces (one at each location). But the color is so so - grey body with a little pinkish overtone.

I suspect that the pearls at Costco looked washed-out in the case because of the lighting they use for the diamonds. The Costco near me often carries diamonds over $50,000, so they get the celebrity treatment. We know pearls don't like intense light, so I've been tempted to buy something and see what it looks like at home.

Also, there's the debate about whether the jewelry in the case is the real deal, or fakes used for display purposes only.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1428431321|3858079 said:
yingh|1428417358|3857944 said:

I suspect that the pearls at Costco looked washed-out in the case because of the lighting they use for the diamonds. The Costco near me often carries diamonds over $50,000, so they get the celebrity treatment. We know pearls don't like intense light, so I've been tempted to buy something and see what it looks like at home.

Also, there's the debate about whether the jewelry in the case is the real deal, or fakes used for display purposes only.

In my case, I did ask to take the Tahitian out of its case and held it under normal Costco lighting. I was describing what I saw up an close.

As to fake diamonds for display - seen them too at Costco and they always disclose that fact if fake was used.

This reminds me of what I saw at Costco around last Christmas, in the wine area. They were offering a bottle of wine that has a $1,199 price tag. Instead of displaying this expensive wine, Costco pinned a picture of the wine under the price tag (not a glamour shot). That made me laugh.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
In my case, I did ask to take the Tahitian out of its case and held it under normal Costco lighting. I was describing what I saw up an close.

But it's still warehouse fluorescent lighting. It doesn't even flatter the jars of peanut butter.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
My Costco uses as much lighting from skylights as possible, coupled with LED lighting...our store converted from fluorescent lighting a few years ago.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yingh, I still have to make it to Neiman's in Tyson's. I may go when I visit my jeweler in VA to get a PP pearl set in a ring setting I already have.

Yingh, Ennui and Pirard, I am not a Costco member, but appreciate knowing they are not very exciting.

Cmd, that's a great idea. I'll visit American Pearl the next time I am in NYC. I like the dyed grey FWP they have on their website. I was originally considering grey Tahitians, but someone pointed out that cost-wise it was a lot to pay for grey, and that I could do FWP. While I don't like the idea of dyed pearls, most vendors carry dyed black FWP (why don't they carry grey?). The picture of the grey dyed FWP on American Pearl's website shows irregular shaped pearls (not just slightly potato). I would prefer to pick my strand in person.

I also like all the options that AP offers.

NacroLover, thanks for the info regarding Ashley/Pure Pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results