shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent Help Needed b4 PP Discount Goes Away!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
OK, pearly queens! I need some help, please!

I was just reading yesterday in a thread about how freshwater pearls are pure nacre, which I knew, and that akoyas are more delicate. I already save my akoyas for best. In terms of freshwaters, all I have is a seriously crappy strand from Lord and Taylor which cost $60.

So, the thread woke me up to my need for better freshwaters that I can wear frequently for decades and not worry about the nacre.

Big Question: In terms of lustre, which is better: Pearl Paradise freshadamas or Pearl Paradise white metallic pearls? The website says that each of these is the best 0.01% of the harvest, so which to choose? The metallics are marginally more expensive. I'm looking at size 7-8 in the white metallic and 7-7.5 in the freshadama. Both are about $312.00.

Is the metallicness natural? Are they so shiny they look fake, or like beads rather than pearls? Or do the metallics look much more like hanadamas?

The PP 15% discount ends very soon, I think, so I need some advice! Thanks in advance xxxx

It's between these two:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-135-75-80-mm-white-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2412-70-to-80-mm-metallic-white-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

Helllllp!

A

Andromeda

Hi Smith! I do not own either yet, but as per the extensive research I did before ordering freshadama necklace, in terms of luster, freshadamas are very close to metallics BUT metallics are metallics! No other freshwater strand matches a metallic strand in terms of luster. Also, according to Jeremy (PP CEO who is also a Pearl-guru), metallics are like that straight from the shell, they have no treatment done at all and the nacre is like that all the way through. No matter how long you wear them, they will stay metallic and not loose the amazing luster they have. As for me, I am a freaky symmetry person! Sometimes, metallics may be a little off-round while freshadamas are almost perfectly round, so I chose freshadamas. But if they had the metallic freshadamas in store, I would have definitely gone for them (they are so super hard to get, they get out of stock before you can bat an eye since they are so gorgeous!) As for fake looking, it really depends on the eyes of the beholder. There are many faux pearls which are made very nicely so I am not sure if somebody who sees them will think they are real or fake. But metallics have an out of the world luster and if you like them, I would definitely recommend you go for them :))

I hope this was helpful. Have a great shopping experience at PP :wavey:

P.S. In case you need a better insight, you can talk to their customer service, they are super-friendly and accommodating and will be able to help you with the discount too :))

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
The real differences between the two are shape, blemishing, and luster (metallic is well just metallic) You can't go wrong with which ever one you choose.
Freshadama is

Pearl Origin
China

Pearl Size
7.5-8.0 mm

Body Color
White

Luster
Highest

Blemishing
Virtually Spotless

Shape
Near Perfect Round

metallic is

Pearl Size
7.0-8.0 mm

Body Color
White

Overtones
Silver

Pearl Quality
AAA

Luster
Metallic

Blemishing
Very Light

Shape
Round to Near Round

You can't go wrong with the Freshadama and all other pearls will be measured by their beauty. So for this I would select the Freshadama.

The metallic luster is natural and the luster will rival akoya's.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, thank you so much Andromeda! Perhaps I will go for the metallics. I was kind of assuming they were treated, because of the name, but apparently not!

I will search on here for pix of freshadamas and metallics, and see what I think.

So are you waiting on a purchase to arrive, then? If so, do post some pix! :wavey:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386374636|3569124 said:
Oooh, thank you so much Andromeda! Perhaps I will go for the metallics. I was kind of assuming they were treated, because of the name, but apparently not!

I will search on here for pix of freshadamas and metallics, and see what I think.

So are you waiting on a purchase to arrive, then? If so, do post some pix! :wavey:
Hi! I am a new owner of Freshadamas. You can see my thread here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-necklace-need-opinions.194551/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-necklace-need-opinions.194551/[/URL]

I'm thinking that if you're looking for classic-looking pearls, you should go for the Freshadamas. However, since you already have Akoyas, you might want to go for metallics. I went for the silver-rose overtone in my pearls - Chenai said the slight rose makes the pearls appear to have more depth. I don't have awesome eagle eyes or another strand to compare mine to, so I'm not able to validate this statement.

And just to put it out there, you also have the option of ordering both the Freshadamas and the metallics and seeing which one you like better. You will have to pay for return shipping though.

For reference, here's a picture they sent me of the Freshadamas (outer strand) compared to the Hanadamas (inner strand).
fdn-hdn_8.jpg

SMC

Ideal_Rock
You probably already know this, but you should still treat your freshwaters with care. They can still wear away. I wouldn't lather lotions and perfumes on and then put my freshwaters directly on top of all the gunk.

A

Andromeda

Sure :))

And yes Smith, mine got shipped today and am expecting them to arrive sometime next week :))

Sortmon has correctly pointed out that pearls do need to be handled with care. They are not as sturdy as other gemstones like diamonds or rubies, but then nothing else can match the feminine sublime beauty of a pearl :love: :love:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1386374450|3569120 said:
The real differences between the two are shape, blemishing, and luster (metallic is well just metallic) You can't go wrong with which ever one you choose.
Freshadama is

Pearl Origin
China

Pearl Size
7.5-8.0 mm

Body Color
White

Luster
Highest

Blemishing
Virtually Spotless

Shape
Near Perfect Round

metallic is

Pearl Size
7.0-8.0 mm

Body Color
White

Overtones
Silver

Pearl Quality
AAA

Luster
Metallic

Blemishing
Very Light

Shape
Round to Near Round

You can't go wrong with the Freshadama and all other pearls will be measured by their beauty. So for this I would select the Freshadama.

The metallic luster is natural and the luster will rival akoya's.

Thank you so much for the input, Ranchgirl! :wavey: I decided that lustre was most important to me rather than roundness or blemishing, so I went for the white metallics. Guess I can always send them back if I don't like them! I actually am not so fond of the duller lustre of freshwaters (although admittedly I haven't seen the freshadamas) but the replies here, and the rep at PP, said the metallics are the most like akoyas. Thanks again!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1386375355|3569137 said:

Hi! I am a new owner of Freshadamas. You can see my thread here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-necklace-need-opinions.194551/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pearl-necklace-need-opinions.194551/[/URL]

I'm thinking that if you're looking for classic-looking pearls, you should go for the Freshadamas. However, since you already have Akoyas, you might want to go for metallics. I went for the silver-rose overtone in my pearls - Chenai said the slight rose makes the pearls appear to have more depth. I don't have awesome eagle eyes or another strand to compare mine to, so I'm not able to validate this statement.

And just to put it out there, you also have the option of ordering both the Freshadamas and the metallics and seeing which one you like better. You will have to pay for return shipping though.

For reference, here's a picture they sent me of the Freshadamas (outer strand) compared to the Hanadamas (inner strand).
fdn-hdn_8.jpg

Thanks, Sortmon! Your pearls look amazing!! Actually, I think it was your thread that inspired me! I have chosen the white metallics as I'm told they look most like the akoyas in terms of lustre, which is the most important thing to me.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1386375658|3569144 said:
You probably already know this, but you should still treat your freshwaters with care. They can still wear away. I wouldn't lather lotions and perfumes on and then put my freshwaters directly on top of all the gunk.

I guess I did know that, but it's good to have a reminder! Last thing to go on, first thing to go off, yes? I am actually a bit wary of wearing perfume when I wear pearls, in case it gets onto them.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386383029|3569216 said:
Thanks, Sortmon! Your pearls look amazing!! Actually, I think it was your thread that inspired me! I have chosen the white metallics as I'm told they look most like the akoyas in terms of lustre, which is the most important thing to me.
Yay! Can't wait to see pictures!

Smith1942|1386383116|3569217 said:
I guess I did know that, but it's good to have a reminder! Last thing to go on, first thing to go off, yes? I am actually a bit wary of wearing perfume when I wear pearls, in case it gets onto them.
Wow, you're more careful then me! I wear perfume everyday. I'm sure your metallics will last a long time!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Smith,
Excellent choice!

I have a strand of cream metallics from PP (which are lovely) and have had a Freshdama bracelet. It didn't wow me, so I exchanged it and got akoyas (which I love).

Enjoy!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Cool, thanks everyone! I upgraded the shipping so they should be here Weds! Yay! I will post pix. I'm waiting on a 15.5 inch blue baroque akoya pearl strand to go with my blue pearl studs, and now the 16-inch, 7-8mm white metallic strand. All are from Pearl Paradise, including the studs.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
You'll love the akoyas! Mine are full of rose overtones, which I really enjoy.

Enjoy all your pearly goodies!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer my white metallics over my Freshadamas.

Yes, the Freshadamas are marginally rounder but the luster of the white metallics is just gorgeous.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Periwinklegirl! :wavey: My blue pearl studs from PP actually have no rose overtones (don't know if you remember, but I posted them in the summer wondering if anyone else could see any rose in them, and they couldn't) and when I ordered my strand this week, it said "silver" overtones only. So maybe the rosier ones just aren't around this year. Fine by me, anyway, since my studs aren't rosy!

Pearlsngems - you've helped put my mind at rest about the metallics! Thanks! :wavey:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386387154|3569252 said:
Thanks, Periwinklegirl! :wavey: My blue pearl studs from PP actually have no rose overtones (don't know if you remember, but I posted them in the summer wondering if anyone else could see any rose in them, and they couldn't) and when I ordered my strand this week, it said "silver" overtones only. So maybe the rosier ones just aren't around this year. Fine by me, anyway, since my studs aren't rosy!

Pearlsngems - you've helped put my mind at rest about the metallics! Thanks! :wavey:
I'm interested in seeing your blue studs! Can you post a picture here?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
sortmon|1386389958|3569298 said:
Smith1942|1386387154|3569252 said:

I'm interested in seeing your blue studs! Can you post a picture here?

Sortmon - I did a thread on them a few months ago, and have just bumped it up, so you should see it at the top here!

Just seen your gorgeous baroque Tahitian studs too. Girl, you have been on a pearl drive! You're thinking about these blue akoyas, aren't you? :naughty:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386390432|3569305 said:
Sortmon - I did a thread on them a few months ago, and have just bumped it up, so you should see it at the top here!

Just seen your gorgeous baroque Tahitian studs too. Girl, you have been on a pearl drive! You're thinking about these blue akoyas, aren't you? :naughty:
I want all pearls. I've been on a big pearl streak lately. I just find them so versatile. Also, they are just so much more affordable than diamonds (my other love).

I think I need to save up for a baroque strand. And my ultimate dream is that that perfect strand of round white South Sea pearls (probably frowned upon for being boring by all the pearl connoisseurs here). It will take me forever to save for them, but I can dream.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Which is more important to you? Perfect roundless and very shiny or not quite round (buit will look round when wearing) and a metallic lustre.
That's the call between the two.
I'm a lustre person: most people, even unto we professionals cannot tell the difference between a round and a nearly round when it is round someone's neck, unless staring from very close(which hardly ever happens!).

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Pearlescence|1386405945|3569406 said:
Which is more important to you? Perfect roundless and very shiny or not quite round (buit will look round when wearing) and a metallic lustre.
That's the call between the two.
I'm a lustre person: most people, even unto we professionals cannot tell the difference between a round and a nearly round when it is round someone's neck, unless staring from very close(which hardly ever happens!).

Thanks! Lustre is the most important to me, I don't care if they're slightly less than round or have the odd teeny blemish. So I ordered the metallics! And some black freshwater studs, and a Tahitian pearl pendant. :appl:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Can't wait to see them ! Post when they arrive...you really couldn't go wrong with your selection :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those who have seen the PP metallics in person raved about them.

I have not, therefore, I cannot comment, except to say I was not keen on the earlier ones on offer as I could see some of the pearls being off round even in photos. At the time, Jeremy did say that they would have cost more had their shapes be more round.

I believe some smaller size metallics have made the grade of being classified as Freshadamas in the past year or so, which is the highest grade of CFWP pearls offered by PP, and am hoping they are still available when I am ready to buy some to go with an existing 2-strand diamond clasp that I already have. These are the ones I meant, 7.5-8mm metallic Freshies: http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-2835...ite-freshadama-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

IMHO, if one is not too bothered about the pearls being noticeably off round, then go metallic CFWPs that do not make their Freshadama grade and save some money.

However, one can never go wrong with Freshadamas.

DK :))

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I have a triple strand of graduated white metallics sized around 6 mm, 7 mm and 8 mm. The pearls are noticeably off-round when I inspect individual pearls close-up. Here is how they look on:

How do I feel about metallics? Well, I ordered the white metallics with citrines on Black Friday!

pp_triple_metallic_neck_shot_with_red_0.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great photo, bsomlo, and that shows very well what my own experience is. They look more off-round when laid flat, and photos taken of them laid flat look even more off round due to image distortion. But on the neck, it's a non-issue.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That triple strand absolutely glows, bsomlo!

I'm so glad to hear you purchased the metallics, Smith! I have several from PP and I would choose them over anything. As others have pointed out, unless it is pronounced you won't notice if they aren't perfectly round.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
The funny thing is mine are considered "ivory", which I don't particularly like -- but I don't see them as ivory at all!!!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1386418394|3569430 said:
I have a triple strand of graduated white metallics sized around 6 mm, 7 mm and 8 mm. The pearls are noticeably off-round when I inspect individual pearls close-up. Here is how they look on:

How do I feel about metallics? Well, I ordered the white metallics with citrines on Black Friday!

These must be my favorite pearls on PS :love: :love: :love: I hope you are reaching for these beauties often? They are just dreamy!! I also absolutely love 4RG's creamy metallic triple strand! I think I need to make a triple strand a priority for the new year :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results