shape
carat
color
clarity

trends in pearl sizes

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
What trends in pearl sizes (strands, earrings, bracelets, etc.) have you seen over time? What is popular right now?

Yes, I know it all depends on what you like & what looks good on you, of course ! I'm not prone to trends, at all.

I'm a 6.5 to 7 mm lover. That is what looks good on me and I feel comfortable in.

I had a discussion with someone the other day and they said that larger pearls are more of what you see nowadays.

Input? Thanks.

naria

Shiny_Rock
Conventional wisdom is that bigger is better. This is because larger pearls are more of an investment piece (necks go saggy) and because statement jewelry which equates to larger jewelry has been on trend for a while.

My personal view however is that the jewelry should match the stature of the wearer. I'm plus-sized so I would never wear 6.5-7. The smallest pearls I wear are 7.5-8. I'm in my twenties so sag-age is not an issue yet, but I suspect that I won't wear those pearls into my 40s. My favorites are my Tahitians which are 10-11.7mm. They have definitely firmly placed me in the bigger is better camp. They just have so much presence.

But a delicate necklace has a time an a place. On the waifish I imagine it would look very nice.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer larger pearls and tend to notice them on others. Smaller mm sizes don't attract my attention at all. I wore my large CC strand to dinner party last night. People definitely noticed it and asked lots of questions.

I just watched the last Bond movie and Judi Dench had pearls on in every scene. I didn't like any of her smaller mm pieces.

naria

Shiny_Rock
That Bond movie had a crazy amount of pearls. Almost gave me an appreciation for gray Tahitians...almost. (The fancy colors still have my heart). I really liked a number of the settings. When I googled the movie and pearls, sadly little information is to be had. Most of what comes up has to do with fake jewelry worn by the bond girl.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a way its how I feel about diamonds as well: I love bigger pearls, up to a point. After a certain size, like 16mm and larger, they just look fake... :confused:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
The older I get, the larger the pearls are that I wear. I no longer wear smaller rice or seed pearls that I wore in my twenties. I like big knobbly baroques now or graduated strands with larger pearls in the centre.

I agree that some larger pearls do look a bit unreal (especially when they are perfectly round), but I wear plenty of shell pearls too and they can look great. But I wouldn't say no to a gorgeous strand of 16mm south sea pearls... I'm hoping for a strand for my 40th :)

quinnox

Rough_Rock
I'm small woman but I like larger pearls, especially for ring and pendant, but luster is the most important thing to me. Even if it's small, if the luster is high, it's really eye catching. But I'd LOVE it if the pearl is both big and lustrous. I've seen a woman wearing the most beautiful 14-15mm white SS pearl ring, the surface and shape aren't perfect but the luster is so stunning that I couldn't help but keep staring at it. I wish I will be able to find something in that quality one day, without breaking my bank.

For earrings, my favorite is 12.5mm pearl stud. I love them but can't wear too long as my ear lobes hate it!

I don't wear pearl necklace but if I have to choose, I think I'd like something around 10mm size.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results