shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about WSS

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've been thinking about a white south sea strand. I have my white fw strand and it's in heavy rotation for me because I find that the color goes with a lot of my clothes. I'd like to go bigger - fw is 10-11mm potato shaped pearls - and better luster. Not sure how much bigger. At some point it starts to look off, as in faux. Plus the price begins to skyrocket. Not sure on overtones either. Pinkish, bluish?

Suggestions, thoughts are welcome. So are pictures :bigsmile:.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh, am saving up for a WSSP strand too! :wavey:

I tried one at the Singapore jewellery fair that was 11-14mm, and thought that I could go bigger. I think perhaps a strand topping at 16-17mm would be nice (plus after getting used to ripple pearls the larger pearls start to feel fairly normal, haha). And afterall, if we plan to spend so much, might as well get a TDF strand so that you don't feel the need to buy another one a few more years down the road. But I'm 5'7, and I think height/size plays a part. Like how decent sized diamonds can look really small against my man-sized hands (sigh).

Found that silverish white really pops against my skin. But think it really depends on your skin tone. The pinkish ones look fab but just don't work for me. Probably not too round. So shape-wise I'm looking for baroque but not too baroque if you know what I mean. They don't look faux, and look less formal so that I think I can wear them more regularly to work.

If you can go and try on some IRL, that would give you a better idea re: size, colour and length? The colours really make a diff, so I think you really do need to try IRL to see what works on you.

My inspiration - Megeve's TDF strand. Looking for something smaller and longer (and more affordable!), but yeah... :love:

Megeve's graduated SS pearl necklace which comes with 2 pendants with invisible clasp..

file.jpg

file.jpg

Source: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-peek-into-my-pearl-collection.124721/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-peek-into-my-pearl-collection.124721/[/URL]

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster I know PP has some beautiful strands in the vault! Drop shaped 11-13mm with silver overtones would be my ideal strand. I like a hint of pink to my wSS, but too much blends in with my skin tone.

Yay icy, so happy to see you on the board again :appl: :appl: :appl: I hope all is well with you? Megeve's strand is AMAZING and the holy grail of pearls for me :love: :love: :love:

Pearlescence what a beautiful strand and I really like that clasp! I think you are right that these are a great alternative to very large wSS and much more affordable.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icy, thanks for your thoughts. So 11-14mm felt too small? Hmm, that's the range I was considering. On the other hand, my ripples are 13-15 and I feel perfectly comfortable with that size but white always looks more formal. I really want a strand I can wear to work without people asking me if I'm going to a black tie even later on. Megeve's strand is spectacular and fits in the "black tie even" category for me.

The only store nearby that has WSSP is Saks but their strands didn't impress me as far as luster and color go so I can't even use them as baseline. And the prices were astronomical.

As far as shapes, have you seen the baroques that you liked? Any pictures? I'd like to get as close as possible to round for WSS.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearlescence|1384929523|3559731 said:
A great budget alternative is to think white ripples.

Thanks for the suggestion. I typically don't see white ripples on sale. Are they widely available? The sale at POJ only had a few strands which sold out quickly. Ripples would definitely give me more options in size/price.

The picture that you posted seems overexposed with very bright light. Do you have any pics of white ripples in natural light?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LitGeek|1384955311|3559794 said:
baby monster I know PP has some beautiful strands in the vault! Drop shaped 11-13mm with silver overtones would be my ideal strand. I like a hint of pink to my wSS, but too much blends in with my skin tone.

LitGeek, thanks for the lead on PP. Hmm, drop shaped. My current fw strand is sorta oval/potato shaped so getting as close to a round as possible would give a different look for this strand.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
another ripples pic
I've got some gorge white ripple drops too
(anot note that ripple whites are really white, not creamy.)
(The enhancer is a huge (16.5mm) natural colours ripple drop with lots of pink tourmalines) it is pink but flashes green sometimes

white_ripples.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearlescence|1384973535|3559924 said:
another ripples pic
(The enhancer is a huge (16.5mm) natural colours ripple drop with lots of pink tourmalines) it is pink but flashes green sometimes

I like :love: . I'll contact you.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up my SSP strand when I was in Hong Kong in 2009, can't remember how much I paid for it, however, it is of the right size and quality at a price that I could afford, with the added bonus of having silver overtone!!!

I believe it is about 11-13mm, however, I could be wrong. Here is a pic of the necklace with the other goodies from the same HK trip:

goodies_from_hk_2009.jpg

Due to my age and size, I can definitely go bigger, and am currently buying/collecting baroque SSPs in size 15mm+ with the help of Sven at Eastern Trade Winds/Agustus-Collection, in the hope to make a necklace that I have nick-named my Wilma Flintstone necklace in time for my 50th birthday in 2015. I have collected one pearl so far, however, Sven is confident that the project will be completed in time.

DK :))

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlescence|1384973535|3559924 said:
another ripples pic

Wow! Just gorgeous! Love the enhancer too :love: :love: :love:

dk168|1384980123|3559996 said:
Here is a pic of the necklace with the other goodies from the same HK trip:

Beautiful pieces DK!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1384980123|3559996 said:
I picked up my SSP strand when I was in Hong Kong in 2009, can't remember how much I paid for it, however, it is of the right size and quality at a price that I could afford, with the added bonus of having silver overtone!!!

I believe it is about 11-13mm, however, I could be wrong. Here is a pic of the necklace with the other goodies from the same HK trip:

goodies_from_hk_2009.jpg

Due to my age and size, I can definitely go bigger, and am currently buying/collecting baroque SSPs in size 15mm+ with the help of Sven at Eastern Trade Winds/Agustus-Collection, in the hope to make a necklace that I have nick-named my Wilma Flintstone necklace in time for my 50th birthday in 2015. I have collected one pearl so far, however, Sven is confident that the project will be completed in time.

DK :))

DK, gorgeous strand! Can we see a neck shot too? :loopy:

if it's too small at this point, maybe we can discuss the possibility of relocation to my neck :lol:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's a beautiful necklace ! And I love the pendant as well ! Sven is a nice guy...he's custom making me about 400 beads at the moment and I think I'm going to put him on the scent for some lapis..he always seems to have some...I've got a customer in the States who wants lapis and pearls but wants a darker shade than I have on hand. I'm sure he's going to search out all the giant matching SS pearls for you...one pearl at a time makes it affordable...like Lay-buy.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
katbran|1385098338|3561139 said:
That's a beautiful necklace ! And I love the pendant as well ! Sven is a nice guy...he's custom making me about 400 beads at the moment and I think I'm going to put him on the scent for some lapis..he always seems to have some...I've got a customer in the States who wants lapis and pearls but wants a darker shade than I have on hand. I'm sure he's going to search out all the giant matching SS pearls for you...one pearl at a time makes it affordable...like Lay-buy.

Hey katbran- sounds like you buy and sell. Shouldn't you have "trade" status on PS. I think the Mods are pretty strict about it and I wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results