shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian double strand/rope clasp dilemma

Kay

Ideal_Rock
One of my Ruckus purchases from PP was a 35” strand of baroque Tahitians. As I mentioned on the Tahitian sale thread, I like double strands, and am not likely to wear a long strand often. (Short strands work better with my work suits.) I was initially going to leave it long (and add a few more inches), but then I realized that, because the pearls are graduated, if I doubled it, the largest pearls would be hidden in back. I talked with Hisano about breaking it into 2 separate strands (18” + 19”) to avoid that issue. She recommended making one 18” strand with the smaller pearls and one 19” strand with the bigger pearls because the pearls have already been matched parallelly and it would be a shame to break up the beautiful pattern. Thus, the current rope will be cut in half on each side, with the front section forming the larger strand and the 2 back sections forming the smaller strand. So, the mid-sized pearls currently on the sides of the long rope will be the back pearls on the larger strand and the front pearls on the smaller strand.

On the other thread, cmd2014 asked me about the option of using attractive clasps or mystery clasps to put the 2 strands back together as a long rope in case I ever want to wear it that way. The problem is that for that to work with the pearl size graduation looking like it does now, the clasp on the rope with the smaller pearls would have to be center front. When I wear the strand doubled, I do not want a clasp in the front to break the line of the pearls, no matter how pretty the clasp, so I initially dismissed the idea.

Now, I am trying to figure out if it might look okay to wear the 2 strands together as a rope (by linking the backs of each strand) if the medium sized pearls at the back of the larger strand are separated from the small pearls at the back of the smaller strand by a decorative clasp “bead.” KGH has some lovely baroque shaped gold clasps that might look like pretty decorative elements in the rope. The lever part of the clasp is clearly visible in the magnified pictures, but I am not sure how noticeable it will be IRL.

I haven’t asked for pricing on the baroque clasps yet, but based on other KGH clasps I have priced, I expect buying 2 fancy clasps will cost about $200 more than 2 standard white gold laser ball clasps. Since my hair hides any clasps in the back, it is only worth paying the extra if the rope is likely to look good even though the pearl graduation will be off. If the rope will just look silly, I would rather put the clasp money toward another project.

WWYD?

The 35” strand (the 18” strand also shown will be worn separately).

KGH clasps -- the first two are more organic, the texture of the third makes it look a bit like there might be tiny diamonds on the ribbons of gold.

I already have white gold diamond pave earring findings I plan to use to make Tahitian drop earrings to match the necklace. Because of the earrings I planned to use WG clasps. The organic baroque clasps look great in yellow gold, as pictured. Now, I am wondering which color gold will look better next to the pearls.

kgh_f597__9x11.jpg

kgh_a750-9__9mm_.jpg

kgh_f516i-8__8mm_.jpg

tahitians__ruckus_2014_1.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I use a regular ball clasp to hook a bracelet to a necklace to lengthen it. The clasps are hidden at the back of the neck. Your situation is slightly different. Just throwing out idea here. You can use a brooch to partially hide the clasps at the front if you want to connect the two strands. That means the smallest pearls are connected and will be located somewhere mid-bust. Here is an example using a cheap brooch.

_21415.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kay,

I had a similar problem when I combined two graduated strands. In the end I opted to have the strands broken up with the pearls randomly arranged in a rope. Usually wear this strand as a rope but am fairly happy with how they look doubled too.

_8710.jpg

_8920.jpg

Love your clasp choices and will be keeping an eye on how your strand turns out. Maybe I can give mine a makeover too. :)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that if your pearls match and the clasps match, you would need to wear it with both clasps visible to look right (one strand around back, one in front.

Keeping in mind that 1) mine don't match, 2) I'm in my lounge-around-the-house flaming pink t-shirt that I would not ever wear with my pearls, and 3) it is really hard to get a good self shot of a rope (DH would think I was insane if I asked him to help), here's an idea of how it would look. In reality it's about 2/3 front necklace, 1/3 back (my front necklace is a 20 inch too, so it would be more proportionate with 2 18 inch strands), and actually looks quite symmetric. If my strands and clasps matched (one side won't even do up) I'd probably do it on days I wanted a rope. It does look funny though to position it so that only one clasp shows (then you get big pearls on one side and small on the other, and it looks lopsided).

_21416.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say, this thread has made me think about ropes in a way that would not have occurred to me before...the one rope I have is uniform size and it makes it super flexible for doubling. I think if I were to go for a rope in the future, I might either try to go uniform in size (even if that meant going with smaller pearls as matched sets can be expensive), or doing a mixed size strand that wasn't graduated, as I now see how graduating causes difficulties with wrapping.

And the more I think about it, the more I think I'm with you, Kay....I would be much more likely to just wear 2 separate strands as a double with my work clothes than I would ever be likely to wear a rope. After having my mock-up on, I realized that in pseudo-rope form it was heavy and very swingy, and more than likely to get in my way at work or to get dinged by banging into things (plus it was heavy). Not sure a rope is super practical for me in Tahitians. Small freshies, sure...but even then I tend to wrap them shorter by days end.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a similar issue with my double set of free form golden baroques. The necklaces are 19" and 21" and normally I wear them as a double set. But, I love the idea of hooking them together to make a rope. I did so last winter in order to wear the pearls with a heavy cowl/turtleneck top.

The colors of my pearls are perfectly matched, so color isn't an issue. However, the other issues remain. What clasp to use, and how will it look? Where best to place the clasp? How will strongly graduated pearls look when they aren't properly graduated in the rope format? Even though these pearls are free-form baroque, they still have a bit of a drop shape. The sharp-eyed among you will note the reversal of drop direction near the lower left side of the rope photo. I placed one clasp under the roll of the top's neckline to the upper left of the photo. The other one is plainly visible on the right of the photo, and I choose to declare that it is a design element.

I think this could be a great look with Tahitians, particularly with a more decorative clasp, or if you layer on another strand or two. The issues that Kay is concerned about are part of the reason my new Tahitian rope will have a more decorative clasp, and since I've gone with rounds, I decided to ask that the graduation go from big to small several times throughout the strand. We'll see how the color-matching issue will affect things, but my guess is that this will be less of a concern. The strands should be matched for their normal wearing configuration, and while you will know it isn't matched as a rope, no one else will ever think of it.

goldentoday_4893.jpg

goldentoday_0.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
FlyGirl your goldens are in the group of my all time favorite pearls. Those two strands worn as a rope is fab :appl: :appl: :appl:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kay here is my 2 cents. Don't over think this. Why not just get one ball clasp wear the strand long and doubled for a while and get a feel of how it would really work for you best. PP is wonderful and after a couple of months I am sure they would be happy to do any redesign that is needed then. Of cource as long as it is not the crazy holiday time of year. :mrgreen:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1408242927|3734015 said:
FlyGirl your goldens are in the group of my all time favorite pearls. Those two strands worn as a rope is fab :appl: :appl: :appl:
I was only going to buy one strand, but luckily, my personal pearl shopper picked out two. :bigsmile: :naughty: :lol:

These are quite special. Thank you so much.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1408244285|3734029 said:
I was only going to buy one strand, but luckily, my personal pearl shopper picked out two. :bigsmile: :naughty: :lol:

They are so special and it might be hard to find matching ones at a later date plus I luv to spend other peoples money :mrgreen:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1408247278|3734055 said:
Fly Girl|1408244285|3734029 said:

They are so special and it might be hard to find matching ones at a later date plus I luv to spend other peoples money :mrgreen:

+1 8) :Up_to_something: :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results